Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To old to uproot

(66 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sat 07-Jan-17 22:02:52

My DH are tentatively considering moving to Norfolk within the next 2 years. My DD is moving and it's very tempting. Had anyone else uprooted at age 69 and 77? How did it go?

silverlining48 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:24:56

My best friends moved to norfolk some years ago, they are very happy and wouldnt dream od ever returning to the crowded south east. Its a lovely county, we visit regularily and always enjoy ourselves. Some lovely little towns, villages and Norwich is a nice city with excellent shopping, just ensure there is a decent public transport wherever you decide to go. Good luck.

silverlining48 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:25:46

Oh and property is much cheaper too.

Penstemmon Sat 07-Jan-17 22:33:10

Flower We moved here aged 60 and 63 as both DDs live locally too. I have been very proactive in getting involved in the local community and have made some lovely new friends. DH however finds it harder to do this..we are not church goers so that route is not open for us.
We had a list in terms of what was important: e.g. walking distance to a shop, easy access to a GP etc. to reduce reliance on a car.
Only you know how important other people/ friends are to you and DH and how you would cope without current / any friends around you. Sadly you also have to think what happens if it was only one of you. However I love change so if you think you would make new contacts and not be lonely go for it! (as long as you think DD will be staying in the area!)

grannyqueenie Sat 07-Jan-17 22:45:47

We moved from a big city to a small market town in a different part of the country, 8 years ago when I was 58 and my old boy was 63. Yes it was a huge upheaval but it brought us nearer to most of our children/grandchildren. We thought carefully about accessibility to services, shops and public transport and opted for a property that we hope will meet any changing needs as we get older. It takes a fair amount of commitment, persistence and emotional energy to invest in new friendships but it can be done and we are very happy here. But the older you get it harder it will be, so if you decide it's right for you crack on and make it happen!

Niobe Sat 07-Jan-17 22:47:44

We moved from Scotland to London when I was 64 and DH was72 as our son and his wife are here. As we get older it will be easier to be 15 minutes away from our son and his wife rather than 400 miles away. I recently got a bouquet from DSand Ddil thanking us for all the help we have given them eg meals, DIY, cat sitting, gardening advice! We are very glad we made the move.

Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Jan-17 09:36:29

My youngest DD and family (who we are extremely close to) are moving this year to Norwich. One DS has told me that he and family will probably be moving further North within next two years. My DD said that they would be over the moon if we decided to follow her. One major problem is the stuff we have accumulated in 33 years, 5 children etc. Two junk rooms and a lift stuffed full. Plus a garage full of cr**.

downtoearth Sun 08-Jan-17 09:45:10

Morning flower
I am in Norfolk and have met several
Norfolk grans,have also made a very good friend we meet every week and chat on what's app daily through her asking just the same question as yourself..I am an Essex girl ,but having been in Norfolk for the last 9 years have had no regrets, although we where younger when we moved.
we have moved several times in Norfolk having lived in villages as well as a small town where we are now .
We are in west Norfolk happy for you to PM me if you want to ask anything

Greyduster Sun 08-Jan-17 09:59:25

flower I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of 'stuff' you have accumulated - we were exactly the same five years ago after thirty one years in the same house. Once you put your mind to it you'll soon whittle that down.

cornergran Sun 08-Jan-17 10:01:33

What does your heart say flower? The 'stuff' can be dealt with, especially if your family help. How do you feel about re-rooting yourself? Are you someone who finds new places and people invigorating? Also, are you sure your daughter wouldn't move again? We majorly downsized nearly four years ago, Mr C was 70 and I was younger. We are closer to family which is lovely, the difference is we moved to an area we wanted to live in for ourselves. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, Norwich is beautiful, we have lived in Norfolk and still love the county, but do consider what you want for yourselves. Have a look, spend some time there, talk to people who live there. I don't think age need be a barrier if it's something you want to do and your health allows, just get as much practical help as you need. Regarding the 'stuff' my guess is a lot belongs to your family, let them either take it away or dispose of it. We decided to give surplus furniture to a local charity rather than try to sell it, I found it relatively easy to part with most things, Mr C struggled. I don't think anyone else can say if moving would be right for you, which probably isn't what you hoped to hear. Whatever you decide I wish you well, it is a big decision, let us know how you get on? Good luck.

Maranta Sun 08-Jan-17 10:11:40

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/a1222070-Advice-on-living-in-Norfolk-please?msgid=25691238 This is a previous thread which would be worth reading.

I think Norwich is a lovely city. Pensthorpe would be great for your birdwatching and wildlife.

Niobe Sun 08-Jan-17 10:15:18

We were in our previous house for 31 years and had accumulated a LOT of stuff so when we first thought of moving south I started to get rid of the surplus by leaving a big IKEA bag on the landing and putting surplus items into it. When full it went to a charity shop. A black bin bag took all the items which could not be donated. That went into the weekly bin collection. The trick is to do a little at a time but do it often. Some large items were sold on eBay. A lot of the furniture which we no longer needed was given to the daughter of a close friend who had just moved from a 4 roomed cottage to an 8 roomed former manse (or vicarage). I must admit we still moved with more stuff than we needed so several boxes were donated at our new home.

TriciaF Sun 08-Jan-17 10:25:49

Unless you have major health problems I'm sure you can do it, Flowerof the west.
My parents moved from the country back to their town of birth when Dad was 82 and Mum was 76. We were living nearby at the time, and helped them, but they did most of it themselves.
We're getting on for those ages now and really ought to move back to civilisation.
Once you've decided, an idea is to start now sorting your belongings and getting rid of superfluous stuff. I try to do that but husband gets upset, he's an accumulator.

Starlady Sun 08-Jan-17 11:34:55

Ugh! I would hate the idea of moving at my age (66)! But I would do it if it were to the same place dd was moving and she was enthusiastic about the idea.

As for the "stuff," this would be a good chance to get rid of a lot. Take your time. It's not as if you have to move tomorrow!

Penstemmon Sun 08-Jan-17 12:07:29

Agree with the advice to 'release' stuff slowly! Either a room/space at a time or go for books/clothes/ornaments etc!

Christinefrance Sun 08-Jan-17 13:14:06

Just be careful about your motives for moving Flowereofthewest if it's because you want a more rural lifestyle and be close to the coast then fine. If it's about being close to family then remember they may want to move on again.
I lived in Suffolk for 30 years and my husband comes from Norfolk, it's beautiful around there, lots to do so I can recommend it. Hope it works out for you.

henetha Sun 08-Jan-17 13:50:26

I moved to where I am now, alone, from a town into the countryside, at the age of 72 and have never regretted it.
It is so much more peaceful here and I love it.

M0nica Sun 08-Jan-17 14:09:36

My 88 year old aunt relocated from Sussex to the Isle of Wight last year to be near a daughter who had decided to move there. So far, so good.

Four years ago, with her DH then near 90, my aunt moved from a large family house to a bungalow 10 miles away. The move was entirely organised and planned by the couple and my uncle planned contracted and supervised all the building work required to make the bungalow meet their requirements.

Age is not a bar to a successful move. Just personal determination.

KatyK Sun 08-Jan-17 14:16:09

My sister is 70 and she has moved 4 times in the last 6 years. She seems to have coped OK.

BBbevan Sun 08-Jan-17 15:32:41

We are both 72 and have moved after 40+ years in the same house. We now live near our daughter and we love it. New area to explore, New people, New shops etc. Go for it ?

Falconbird Sun 08-Jan-17 15:46:25

I uprooted after my dh passed away. It was only about six miles away and I've joined lots of things and made new friends.

I agree with MOnica - as long as you are both in reasonable health, age is not a barrier but having moved twice in four years you certainly have to be determined.

Floradora9 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:51:11

We moved in our late 50s to be nearer to DD it was good to begin with but most of the friends we made were slightly older than us and sadly have either died or are far from well . A newish neighbour who had to move to look after DGC ( his is mid 70s ) tells me too many people already have friends and do not want to bother with him and his wife. He is a great joiner in and tries to blend in but so misses his old friends .
I still miss my closest friends we had before who knew us when we all had small children .

Lona Sun 08-Jan-17 17:02:43

I moved (not far) last July at 70. I didn't have piles of c**p but I had enough! It was very therapeutic getting rid of it over a period of a few months, and I've been strict with myself about replacing anything.
I would say do it sooner rather than later, good luck sunshine

Leticia Sun 08-Jan-17 18:54:12

My mother moved 150 miles away when she was 79yrs and another long distance move when she was 88yrs. I moved when 60yrs.
It depends if you really, in your heart if hearts, want to move.
I think it is much easier to make friends when you are older- you have the time and there are lots of activities- depends whether you have your health.

Ana Sun 08-Jan-17 18:57:18

I would love to move!

You all make it sound so easy - but no one seems to want to buy my house. Or rather they do, then at some stage decide they've changed their mind...sigh!