Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My son might be emigrating!

(131 Posts)
SeventhHeaven Sun 08-Jan-17 13:18:31

Hi grans! I just wanted to know how others would feel in this situation. I have one son who is happily married. He has quite a good job, but he doesn't enjoy it, and it can be stressful. He is thinking of emigrating to America, as he and his wife have holidayed there several times and they love the whole American lifestyle. Most definitely, I am not a clinging mother. I never interfere in their lives, and I won't stand in their way if this is what they want. Secretly, however the thought of my only lad emigrating upsets me. Last night I
had a secret cry.No one knows, not even my husband. I'm feeling a bit like a mother being made to part with her new baby. My son hasn't even applied for any jobs yet!! Part of me is also secretly hurt that he would leave his mum and dad at this time in our lives. My son will never know my feelings - I'm not one to do emotional blackmail. But I just need some advice on how to get my head round this. And it might not even happen - it's only a consideration at the moment.

rosesarered Thu 19-Jan-17 17:44:45

I would find the distance too much as well ( Australia) as I don't like flying and about four hours is my max! It's expense as well, of course.
On the point of one child emigrating ( as we have 3 DC) then yes, it would be a great comfort that there were still 2 close by.
None of this has happened ( so far) to us, but you can never say that it won't, and I have loads of sympathy for those of you that find it hard.Who wouldn't?

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 17:20:42

Jalima
Dont worry about the book. I think my mum will enjoy it anyway, and Ive ordered a second hand copy so inexpensive.

Re your friends, very exciting trip but not one I imagine many GPs will be emulating! Probably would work out costing a fortune too now.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 15:27:08

Australia to me is absolute horror distance!
Two of my friends went overland (well, part by sea, obviously) many years ago in a camper van.
They were quite hippyish.

Welshwife Thu 19-Jan-17 14:36:56

Yes - it is a really lovely book - based on a true story about her grandmother. When she first wrote the book I saw Jojo Moyes interviewed about it.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 14:16:13

Oh dear Welshwife it is so long since I read it!! blush

sorry Mair if I led you up the garden path - can you cancel it?

It was a lovely book anyway

GracesGranMK2 Thu 19-Jan-17 13:18:47

Obviously this is not a thread for those who actually have adult children living abroad.

Welshwife Thu 19-Jan-17 13:03:39

Jalima. Must just correct you - Ship of Brides - is about Australian girls marrying British Servicemen and following them to UK. I loved the book.

DS and his family have lived in USA for almost fifteen years - the youngest DGS being born there. I know that he has more scope with the work he does out there than back in UK and I am happy to see him doing what he loves. Originally he went for five years before they had a family but when they returned to UK they never really settled so it was not a huge surprise when they returned there.
We speak to each other at least weekly - time difference comes into play - and we often use FaceTime - it is now so normal that the children will just pop up and give a quick update on anything they are doing. However when I do go to visit them there is nothing like the feeling when I see him in the arrivals hall and the first hug.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:52:36

'émigré' - my son didn't move for political reasons
I wasn't suggesting that! Its not a necessary part of the definition.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:49:40

@Mair Europe is great, daughter lives in Ibiza, we, my husband and one son are going to Hungary to live, had enough of the UK!

Goodness! I was thinking you were going to join the DD!

Is either of you Hungarian? Very challenging language!

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:47:28

"You are still telling someone else what you think they would feel!"

Yes what I 'think' you would feel, not what you would feel.
Cannot see any issue with that!

I am, not, like some posters, minded to tell people what they really think!

SueinHull Thu 19-Jan-17 12:33:08

@Mair Europe is great, daughter lives in Ibiza, we, my husband and one son are going to Hungary to live, had enough of the UK! My 2 other children are staying in England. We do travel alot, because we can, but appreciate some families don't have the resources to visit their children/grandchildren in far away places.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:32:48

"but I cannot help but feel that you would find it more challenging still if the other son was to go too!"

You are still telling someone else what you think they would feel!

GracesGranMK2 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:22:45

Goodness me 'émigré' - my son didn't move for political reasons Mair.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:22:35

At least you could get the indisputable facts right.

I am sorry GG please point to my error?confused

GracesGranMK2 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:20:49

I see, yet again, how well you read others post Mair. At least you could get the indisputable facts right.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:20:41

"As I said in my ignored as usual earlier post."

Perhaps you should be more "belligerent"? wink

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:17:00

Europe isnt so bad is it Sue, the USA (especially West) much tougher, Australia to me is absolute horror distance!

SueinHull Thu 19-Jan-17 12:07:24

My daughter lives in Europe and I speak to her more now than when she lived in England. My husband and I are also planning to move abroad, life goes on, communication is the key. Technology helps alot, skype, whatsap etc. Its always hard when a child leaves for good, which undoubtedly will happen if your son is successful. USA is a hard place to get into, might not even happen. Silent tears I can definitely relate too, mums always will have that emotion, I feel for you. Talking to others (on here) helps alot when this dilemma arises. I wish you and your son a happy future whatever it might be.

gillybob Thu 19-Jan-17 12:06:59

I think it is entirely possible to imagine how one would feel if this were to happen to them. As I said in my ignored as usual earlier post, I personally would be devastated if my family were to emigrate because I would probably never see them again. For me that isn't hard to imagine and offer sympathy to anyone for whom this situation might be real.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 11:56:44

"You cannot disagree with my view Mair, strongly or otherwise. It is my view and hold it - that one child does not replace, by their presence, the absence of another. You can hold a different view - although it sounds as if you do not have personal experience - but that doesn't allow for an argument with mine."

Of course I can disagree with it in the sense that I believe most people with a child abroad are glad if they have one other or more still here. I know I would be without needing to experience it. You seem to be focussing on the word 'replace' which is an unfortunate and inaccurate in this context.

I think if you recognised the difference between fact and opinion you wouldn't come across as belligerent and argumentative as you sometimes/often do.

Talk about pot calling kettle blacK! Youre the one who is coming across as belligerent GG, despite the fact that I have apologised to you for appearing, unwittingly, to patronise you on the personal matter.

I fully accept that you feel your emigree son is not 'replaced' (that unfortunate word again) by having your other son in this country, but I cannot help but feel that you would find it more challenging still if the other son was to go too! I accept I could be wrong as we are all different but I do think your view is not the majority view and most GPs of emigrees are very glad indeed to have another AC still living here.

But surely, this is a discussion thread not one where Mair attempts to win an argument - yet again
It seems to me that it's you who is trying to make an argument.
It's certainly you being snipey!

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 11:45:20

I suppose you can either accentuate the negatives or look for the positives in life.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 11:43:59

Have you got children who live overseas Mair?
If not, how can you possibly know how people feel about it?

If mine lived a few hundred miles away in the UK I would probably see them for a weekend every so often and chat on the phone in between; as they live far away I see them once a year for longer, more concentrated periods of time.

Must go and look at flight deals.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 11:41:24

Tragic for her parents eh Jalima!
I am sure they missed her a great deal but were extremely proud of her too and happy that she was independent and chose to stay there when she could have come back again.
It would have been tragic if she had died prematurely but she led a happy and fulfilled life to the age of 88.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 11:37:17

I have been aware that it occurs as long as I can remember and also aware that it was never anything like it is now!

hmm I think that is a moot point
Instead of looking at numbers one would have to look at the proportion of populations who emigrated from various countries over the years for many and varied reasons.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:35:56

You cannot disagree with my view Mair, strongly or otherwise. It is my view and hold it - that one child does not replace, by their presence, the absence of another. You can hold a different view - although it sounds as if you do not have personal experience - but that doesn't allow for an argument with mine.

I think if you recognised the difference between fact and opinion you wouldn't come across as belligerent and argumentative as you sometimes/often do. People are entitled to hold an opinion which doesn't agree with yours, particularly when it is about themselves and their reaction to their lives. If they hold one that is challenged by fact then fine - put that argument forward. But surely, this is a discussion thread not one where Mair attempts to win an argument - yet again.