Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Funky hair on Gransnet

(130 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 09-Jan-17 01:43:53

I'm 67 and,wear my hair in a layered shaggy-ish style coming to just below my ears. A little longer on one side with an asymmetrical fringe. It's various tones of champagne blonde, at least that's what it says on the Nice 'n Easy packet !!

I've got a notion for a bit of funky colour. I've often had caramel foils, a couple of chocolate foils, etc.but not for a while. I'm thinking of getting perhaps a 'slice' on one side. Sort of like a Mallen streak but on short hair..... could be brown, or copper, even aubergine ....dare I say purple !! If I'm brave enough for purple....

I've looked on line but it's always young models. Or the older models haven't used colour in this way.......perhaps that should tell me something smile

Do any of you have a little bit of a rebel showing in your shortish hair cut/colour. I'd love to hear what you've done smile

My hair is easily looked after, just blowdry and tousle it a little.

shysal Mon 06-Feb-17 20:54:41

Wow, I love that craicon!

soos, only one person has commented on my red streaks. they probably just think I have lost my marbles! I shall definitely be doing it again though.

Craicon Mon 06-Feb-17 19:26:47

This is me. smile

Soos Mon 06-Feb-17 19:05:55

I have short thick hair that has gone white at the front and still dark grey at the back
I regularly have my hair purple or pink and my grandchildren love it and reckon I am a real cool gran
I use freedom colour from superdrug and it fades out in about 6 shampoos
People treat you differently when you show a bit of "attitude" .... Try it you will be amazed

shysal Thu 02-Feb-17 09:18:24

I think it looks great Coolgran! You are living up to your name, you don't need to lessen it. My red streaks are just beginning to fade to pink after a month even though I use Head and Shoulders, only because it was on special offer, so I have 3 bottles to work through. I too think I might use less hair in each foil another time, but I am not sorry I went bold.
Does anyone watch The Voice on TV? Each week I have watched it I have noticed older ladies in contestant's families with very brightly coloured hair, perhaps done to stand out.

seacliff Thu 02-Feb-17 08:59:32

If you wanted to fade it, I understand using head and shoulders, leaving it on for half hour or so, sometimes works. But I think if you wear it with confidence, people just admire it.

Nelliemoser Thu 02-Feb-17 08:57:34

Go with it. Coolgran. I think it looks fine. Lots of people are putting such colours in their hair.
Maybe you need the courage to enjoy and flaunt it proudly instead of worrying it looks out of character for you.

Coolgran65 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:51:27

Thanks all for comments - I think it's not so much the colour as not making a couple of the foils a bit finer.

Today's options are - leave it, consider a colour fade out (thank you suzied) or have hairdresser put in a couple of blonde foils to break it up.

Glad I tried it.

Anya Thu 02-Feb-17 08:01:47

Coolgran you'll get used to it....looks good to me. I wasn't as brave as you. Mine washes straight out.

NanKate Thu 02-Feb-17 07:15:16

Well done Anya and Coolgran for jazzing up your hair colour. I like it as it adds a bit of pazazz to life. My contribution is brightly coloured, usually deep purple, nails. We only live once.

suzied Thu 02-Feb-17 07:08:57

You could get a colour fade out to tone down the colour.

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Feb-17 23:45:37

It actually looks a bit stronger than this photo.

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Feb-17 23:44:42

My original pink colour being very pale and barely noticable, today I bit the bullet and bought a temporary colour, tinting brush, cut up tin foil to do a few foils, got on the old dressing gown etc. This being the first time I used a colour such as this I had no idea how porous my hair would be. The instructions said to leave it on for 15 - 30 minutes so it was left on for 15 minutes.

Oh my, the colour was/is strong. So I took the scissors to it and cut out a lot of it. This picture is the final result. It's supposed to last about 8 washes.
I was upstairs, dh was downstairs. I knew it it was really awful I'd go to the hairdresser and get a lot of blonde foils put into it to soften it.

DH's comment was - Well, as long as it fades a bit !!

Elrel Fri 27-Jan-17 19:45:27

I'm tempted to have a look for the Pixie Lott product next time I'm in Superdrug ...

I went to an author talk by the wonderful Sci Fantasy writer Anne McCaffery some years ago. Her silver hair had pink, purple and blue/green at the front. Her explanation was: 'I'm 60 but didn't want to look like every other old lady on the plane!' Since I went silver I've often thought of something similar, maybe now is the time!

shysal Fri 27-Jan-17 18:37:51

Funky!

Anya Fri 27-Jan-17 18:28:39

Pretty much Coolgran but it'll wash out in the morning grin

Coolgran65 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:19:22

Anya - is it done all over?

Anya Fri 27-Jan-17 18:07:42

Photo by 7-year old!

Anya Fri 27-Jan-17 18:06:44

GDs (5&7) did my hair just now hmm

rosesarered Wed 18-Jan-17 09:56:09

Post a pic Anya when you have done it?smile
Coolgran you hair looks, well....cool!

rosesarered Wed 18-Jan-17 09:54:38

Oh yes, Teasy Weasy!
When you are sixteen tears come easily ( now I would just be in a rage!) but the money aspect was important too wasn't it, as you say, literally down the drain, as we had to wash it out.
I had my hair cut yesterday ( quite short....for me, anyway) and feel very cold around the neck today, must go and put on a scarf.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Jan-17 09:21:06

Oh Roses, you have brought back memories of an expensive hair do I had when roughly the same age. I went to Mr Teasy Weasy, remember him? and was back combed to within an inch of my life. I burst into tears when I got home, so washed it all out with Mum's help. Money down the drain.

shysal Tue 17-Jan-17 14:20:21

Sorry, crossed threads. Good for you Anya enjoy your special day, you will look fantastic!

shysal Tue 17-Jan-17 14:16:02

Looks great Coolgran! Your hair has a lovely shine to it too.
Anya was wanting to know how long these temporary colours last, well my red streaks are still bright after about 5 washes. I showed DD who was a bit non-committal (but she was a hairdresser!) and only one rather hippyish person has commented so far! Everyone else probably thinks I am a bit mad. I actually love it and will probably do a few more next time.
Anyone else been brave since reading this thread?

Anya Tue 17-Jan-17 14:10:12

I've just ordered some hair chalks from a well known internet provider. Some were poorly rated but the ones I've chosen came out as easy to apply, non messy and washing out easily. There were four colours each in containers that looked like the kind you'd get eye shadow in - round and with lids.

Its my 70th next Monday so I'm going to go for it!!

grin

Coolgran65 Tue 17-Jan-17 13:30:29

Following my original post and all your great ideas and pics I feel that my pink is an easy start to "colour funkiness".

I was finding it difficult to actually see the colour effect and it took these photographs to give me a proper look.