Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sour smelling washing machine

(48 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:13:42

Whenever my washing machine is empty it has a sour smell although washed clothes come out smelling ok.

I have washed all around the seal and have used several different types of 'washing machine cleaner' which has been run on an empty cycle at 90 degrees.

On ds recommendation I tried Milton Tablets, he does an empty wash using 3 of these every 6 months.

The Milton Tablets have helped somewhat but there is still a faint sour odour. The door of the washing machine can't really be left open when not in use as it is a built-in model with cupboard door front - in a narrow galley kitchen.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Auntieflo Sat 21-Jan-17 13:57:28

I think that there was a thread about this a while ago. I found that by using a powder product and not a liquid one, that my washing machine stayed fresh.

BBbevan Sat 21-Jan-17 14:01:58

You can buy a washing machine cleaner. You just put it in the drum and run the machine empty. Cleans every bit so smells nice afterwards .

J52 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:48:29

Half a cup of White vinegar and bi carb put into the soap dispenser and run it on a hot wash. Should sort it. Make sure the filter is also clean.

grannyqueenie Sat 21-Jan-17 14:55:27

That sounds a good tip J52, do you mean half a cup of each?
Mine is definitely better since doing an occasional wash using powder rather than the liquid which I do prefer.

harrigran Sat 21-Jan-17 15:23:13

Thanks for the reminder coolgran, I am sitting in the kitchen with the washing machine on a cleaning cycle. I found four bottles of cleaner in the cupboard and thought I would use one.

J52 Sat 21-Jan-17 19:09:36

I think I used half a cup of vinegar and two table spoons of bi carb. I also put a powder detergent was in through occasionally.

MawBroon Sat 21-Jan-17 19:13:04

I hesitate to suggest this, but might there be something dead rotten in the filter/drain hose????

LadyGracie Sat 21-Jan-17 19:31:10

I always used liquid detergent, I had an engineer out to replace the pump, he advised me to use liquid detergent on cool cycle and powder at higher temperatures as it helps to keep the pipes clear of residual liquid detergent and fabric conditioner. My washing machine always smells awful after a 90deg clean but the washing doesn't ever smell.

Iam64 Sat 21-Jan-17 19:31:47

auntie flo is right, my washer repair man said I should move from liquid wash product because it causes this build up to a bad smell washer. I've no idea why but I swopped to those tablet things, no more bad smell.

Coolgran65 Sat 21-Jan-17 19:49:06

BBbevan I had already tried some of the off the shelf proprietary washing machine cleaners without success.
The seal and filters had been cleaned.

The Milton tablets had helped some, but not completely. A further run this afternoon with the Milton has I think done the job.

In the meantime I have soda crystals, white vinegar and baking soda ready for next time.

Reading these responses I can see that how I use the machine is likely to be the problem. I use a liquid detergent always, and nearly always a 30 degree, 30 minute wash.

Thank you for all the great advice.

Aepgirl Sun 22-Jan-17 07:55:19

My washing machine 'man' said that fabric conditioners 'attack' the rubber hoses etc which softens them and makes them porous, so harbouring water.

CassieJ Sun 22-Jan-17 07:55:54

I use half a bag of soda crystals on a 90% wash. This gets rid of all smells.
I think that part of the problem is washing at low temperatures as this doesn't get rid of germs or odours. I never wash at 30%, most often it is at 60%.

Run your machine a couple of times empty at 90%, this should help.

Sheilasue Sun 22-Jan-17 08:12:24

We was advised to use soda crystals once a month. I put half in the empty washing machine and do a hot wash. We put some down the sink plug hole leave it for hour and pour boiling water down the plug hole, it's been successful.

Welshwife Sun 22-Jan-17 08:17:50

I am another one who no longer does a 30 degree wash but I do use liquid rather than powder and also a small amount of white vinegar in each wash. I also do bedding, towels and tea towels on the 90 degree wash and since doing all this I no longer get the black mould in the drawer.

MinniesMum Sun 22-Jan-17 08:44:39

I had the same problem and it was very pongy indeed. The engineer said stop using Lenor so I did and the problem went away never to return! I now use Waitrose essential conditioner and it is fine.

Craftycat Sun 22-Jan-17 09:00:07

I didn't even know you had to clean out the filter until I read it on Gransnet. Now I dobit monthly & use Service Engineer from Lakeland once a month. Use it in dishwasher too. Machines look like New afterwards.

BRedhead59 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:03:00

I am beginning to suspect that cleaners make it worse - same for cleaners which promise to get rid of limescale etc. Do you think they are in league with producers of white goods and new kitchens/ bathrooms.

Humbertbear Sun 22-Jan-17 09:03:25

One recommendation we read was to use less detergent. We found adding white vinegar to a wash cycle (empty tub) helped

jacalpad Sun 22-Jan-17 09:03:49

I used to have the smelly machine problem. After searching online for a solution, I put a little bleach in the drawer and ran the machine empty on a the hottest wash. It cured the problem for me. I still use liquid products as I got a bit of powder residue building up on the inside of the door when I used powder, and was concerned my washing powder may not be fully rinsing out of the clothing. Perhaps I could have cut down on the amount of powder in each wash to combat that - but then my washing may not have been as clean!

JanT8 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:05:47

I don't use fabric softener but I do use laundry cleanser instead. Dettox makes one but some of the supermarkets have their own brand which is just as good (Tesco for one). It's because washing at 30deg allows the build up of bacteria.
Laundry comes out smelling fresh.
I do use a W/Mc cleaner every couple of months as well. Definitely no nasty niffs!!!

JanT8 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:06:54

Whoops! Bad grammar! . . . which are just as good.

willow5 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:07:07

I had the same problem, it has been solved completely by replacing half my bottle of conditioner with the clear type of vinegar ( sorry I am not at home so cannot see what it is called, but not the malt vinegar). I cannot remember who told me this, but it certainly works. The vinegar smell does not linger on clothes washed in this way.

Teddy123 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:17:01

Mawbroon I was wondering that too ?

Victoria08 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:19:08

I very rarely wash anything above 50c. It takes ages to do a full cycle otherwise.

Also, I always leave my washing machine door open to let it dry of inside.

It needs air to circulate around the drum. Never ever had a bad smell.

I have heard that fabric conditioner ruins the pipes. What else can we use to keep our clothes fresh and soft. Towels especially can be very stiff without conditioner,