Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Being called granny

(119 Posts)
Suemag Sat 28-Jan-17 13:45:08

I have grandchildren who all call me granny which I love as my mother and grandmother were also called granny, but on 3 separate occasions last year people I didn't know said when the grandson was calling me how they would hate to be called granny as it would make them feel old etc, I just said I loved it and left it at that but I do think it was incredibly rude and wondered if anyone else had encountered the same problem and knew of an answer.

Swanny Sat 28-Jan-17 18:13:51

I wanted to be called something different but my DS wanted me to be Grandma to his son, because he said he had a special rapport with his own Grandma (my mother) and wanted to think his son would have the same with me. I wouldn't be anything else now, especially when DGS says 'Grandma has a d for Daddy and a m for Mummy in it'. Makes me feel really part of their family and brings a tear to my eye everytime sunshine

Araabra Sat 28-Jan-17 18:28:45

Sue if you are ok with granny then granny is fine. I'd just answer that I was ok with granny, did you get over to a play this week, I love Wicked.

FarNorth Sat 28-Jan-17 18:32:46

Say, "Well, you are old".

rafichagran Sat 28-Jan-17 18:38:42

I am Gran too, and I love it Ignore what others say.

Grannyben Sat 28-Jan-17 18:48:55

I would love to be called granny but that title is held my my mum so I am grandma.
If someone is rude enough to make such comments ignore them, they don't deserve a moment of your time (they are probably jealous)

ElaineI Sat 28-Jan-17 19:32:36

I had 2 grannies, my Mum and MIL were Granny and I am now Granny and love it. My Mum is Gigi (Great Granny). The other gran is Granma which she chose - I'm not sure why or why it's not got a d in it.
I think anyone is entitled to be what is chosen by themselves and the family and I think these people were a bit rude and cheeky to you Suemag. Perhaps they were jealous or something.

Marydoll Sat 28-Jan-17 20:40:12

I wanted to be called granny, as my mum and her mum were granny. However, other gran insisted on being called granny and to keep the peace, I am gran. I actually quite like it now. However I was saying to DS tonight, I seem to have lost my identity, as everyone, including my husband, children, SIL and BIL all call me gran and not mum or by my name.

hildajenniJ Sat 28-Jan-17 20:49:04

I absolutely love it when my DGC meet me off the train and come running yelling "Granny" at the top of their voices. It's what I wanted to be called. Just as well really because when my granddaughter was born, she had 3 grandmothers and 3 great grandmothers.

BBbevan Sat 28-Jan-17 20:54:22

We are Granma and Grampa. I love that. I would not like to be a Nanny. I am not paid

morethan2 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:10:20

I've often wondered if it's a regional thing or dare I say it a class thing. I'm a nanna. My family are from the north west. I've heard nan,nanny, ninny, nin, nonna, granny, grandma, grandmother and lots of other variations. Each to their own I say and that's what I'd have said to anyone who expressed an interest.

morethan2 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:13:18

Ps maybe they were shocked because you look very young and couldn't possibly be old enough to have grandchildren. smile

Araabra Sat 28-Jan-17 21:21:00

Marydoll " I seem to have lost my identity, as everyone, including my husband, children, SIL and BIL all call me gran and not mum or by my name."

Oh I'm sorry, how disheartening.

Bellanonna Sat 28-Jan-17 21:49:04

Granny by choice. My counterpart is Grandma and she was kind enough to give me first choice. However I am not called Granny. The first baby couldn't say it so chose Gaga instead and I am now Gaga to all three. I love it. My husband is Nonno so we are a bit different. How rude of strangers to comment on your grandson calling you Granny, and I hope you don't let it bother you. I think it's a lovey, friendly name, and how sad and shallow that they should think it makes them sound old. Go on enjoying being proud to be Granny, Suemag !

Polly99 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:57:54

I love being Granny as I have such lovely memories of my own Grannies, though it will probably change to Gran in the same way as Mummy gives way to Mum. The other GM wants to be Nanna as that is their family tradition so we are all happy.

Deedaa Sat 28-Jan-17 22:09:08

My mother insisted on being called Grandma because she thought Granny sounded really old. I thought Grandma sounded really old and straight laced so I opted for Granny which I think sounds quite jolly. I could have leant towards the Italian side of the family and gone for Nonna but I would have to keep explaining it to people.

Marydoll Sat 28-Jan-17 23:38:27

I think my Daughter in law calls me gran, rather my name as she was always unsure what to call me. My son married the girl next door and I was always Mrs ....... to all the neighbours' children, as I taught in the local school. I have known my daughter in law since she was a wee girl, so it was hard for her to start calling me by my name. Anyway, I am proud to be and love being a gran, regardless of how everyone addresses me.

Funnygran Sat 28-Jan-17 23:55:17

I'm Granny and I love it. One of the other grans is Nanna and one is Gran to sort us all out. My mum and grand mother were all Granny so it's what we are used to.

absent Sun 29-Jan-17 05:35:17

My eldest grandson, now 15, decided early on that I was Granna, and that is the name all my six grandchildren use – as well as their teachers and carers at nursery. They are rather proud that they have a grandmother with a questionably unique name. My mother opted for Grandmum and absentdaughter's paternal grandmother chose Nan. My ex went for Gramps, which is what absentdaughter called his dad. He was very aggressive about Mr absent and wouldn't countenance any grandfatherly names, so he is just called by his first name.

I don't think what you are called really matters – it's who you are that is important.

gillybob Sun 29-Jan-17 09:08:49

Thankfully we are grandma and grandad.

The other (maternal) GP's chose Nana and Granda.

Phew. Lucky escape for me as I am not particularly keen on "nana" although I accept its whatever you're used to.

MawBroon Sun 29-Jan-17 09:23:04

Why "thankfully" Gillybob? (Implying some sort of "lucky me")
I am equally thankful to be (a) Granny.
Gally, Gaggy, Ganma,Grandmama, or Gamma. Isn't it simply a matter of preference?

Trappy Sun 29-Jan-17 10:09:42

I chose to be Grannie, although it often gets spelt Granny, my Granddaughter is only 16 months, and last time I saw her she called me Mum,!

maryhoffman37 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:16:11

I never had any grandparents so no precedent. I don't like Granny and can't stand Nanny and Nana so opted for Nonna (the Italian version). My husband chose Gramps!

Witzend Sun 29-Jan-17 10:17:01

I'm very happy to be granny, though granddaughter is only 21 months and can't say Gs yet - at the moment she calls me Nanny.
Grandpa is PaPa!

Must say I'm not so keen on Grandma - for some reason to me it sounds older (and fatter!) than Granny! Yes, I know how daft that sounds...

I do know the odd person who insists on being called by their name, because Granny/Grandma/Nana makes them feel even older than they are. .
I wouldn't want it, but each to their own, I suppose.

hicaz46 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:31:29

There seems to be an element of snobbishness on here from those saying the Queen is called Grandma to those saying I would hate to be called Nanny as it is a goat or a servant. Whatever you are called it means your grandchildren love you- ignore everyone else. BTW it's Nanny in our family.

Yve1 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:36:08

My exH and his siblings had a live-in Nanny when they were children so he objected to my DM being Nanny to our children (which is what both of my Grandmothers were called). He said that it was a job description, so my DM became Grandma and I loved it so much that my GC's use it for me. They call my current DH Grandad Barry and the ex is Grandad Charlie.