Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Comfortable but smart boots

(67 Posts)
Antonia Mon 30-Jan-17 05:55:13

Can anyone recommend a brand of really comfortable but reasonably smart ankle boots? For years I have only worn Naot boots and bought them from a German supplier on EBay, but unfortunately they no longer deliver to France. I have tried other brands in the past and abandoned them as they are just too uncomfortable to walk in. I have quite wide feet.

mrsmopp Fri 03-Feb-17 01:12:21

Camper, Mephisto in the sales?
What happened to Scholl? Used to love their boots and their sandals.
As for M&S I am between their sizes. I think only Clark do half sized.
Ecco are not as good as they used to be. They used to last forever but nowadays they split across the soles and can't be repaired.

Coolgran65 Thu 02-Feb-17 03:05:45

My problem is narrow feet. I bought Reiker lace up boots so they stay on my feet. Gorgeous tan leather with multi coloured fabric trim at the collar. Love them.

Antonia Wed 01-Feb-17 18:55:35

My M&S Footglove boots arrived today (excellent delivery service, I only ordered them on Monday). So far they seem fine although I am glad I bought a size larger than usual, and I have yet to try them out on a long trip.

jayce125 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:07:57

M and S have never fitted my wide feet. Hotter reasonable but not enough choice in widest. Ecco. Perfect fit but not cheap. Last for years though.

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 10:26:34

I have wide feet too, Antonia. I was looking for snow boots with a zip, as I have a bit of arthritis in my fingers and tightening laces in the cold is a pain, but I couldn't get my foot past the instep of any of those so I settled for ones with flat (not rounded) laces.

I have just bought Sorel Tivoli II which are wonderfully warm and comfortable. They were the only boots in stock in Tiso that fitted me. However, I had to buy two sizes larger than usual to get the fit, the size not just the width. They are known to be small.

PS - they are cheaper at several places online, but I didn't mind paying full whack as the asistant at Tiso's had been so much help finding boots to suit me.

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 10:13:12

Why don't you just wear them all year then, Rose? My daughter does!

rosesarered Tue 31-Jan-17 10:08:27

I wish I could wear boots all year round...I love them ( already have too many pairs) and not enough time to wear them.

thatbags Tue 31-Jan-17 07:45:35

Recently bought some by Remonté which are great–stylish (my style! don't care about anyone else's) and colourful (soft red). I am very fussy about comfort. If I can't walk several miles in a pair of shoes, they don't count as comfortable. This has always been my guide. I like my feet ? smile

elegran, my mother used rub raw potato into pinchy parts of shoes, on the inside of the leather.

grannypiper Tue 31-Jan-17 07:26:17

Clarks "unstructured" range are like wearing feather pillows on your feet and last for years.

seacliff Tue 31-Jan-17 04:21:40

I love reiker boots, those red ones are gorgeous, but sadly
think they are not real leather? Usually I always go for leather as they are more comfortable and keep looks better. My other problem, well one of many lol, is I have very thick ankles , wide feet and high instep, so many ankle boots hurt or chafe. Great ideas here, may go and try some hotter, as in past these didn't suit me, but I think quality of their leather is good.

suzied Tue 31-Jan-17 02:48:31

Camper Boots and shoes, expensive, but so comfortable. Super quality and last for years. I look out for the sale. I bought a shoe stretcher from eBay as I was finding it difficult to find shoes that didn't rub and that has been a godsend as well.

amt101 Mon 30-Jan-17 23:35:36

Hotter or vionic

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 23:26:53

I think it could be just this pair EmilyHarburn, all the leather is a bit hard and needs to soften up. I may put cream on then bash them around a bit with my steak mallet.

Kittye Mon 30-Jan-17 18:23:45

Ugg and Hotter. Wear the Uggs with bare feet, so cosy the fleece gets between your toes.

Elegran Mon 30-Jan-17 18:19:03

Jalima I used to get a liquid in a litle bottle with a brush. You painted it on the tight part then were the shoes to stretch them. I forget the name of it, since I discovered DBshoes I haven't needed it.

Antonia Mon 30-Jan-17 17:47:19

EmilyHarburn thank you for the link, it looks very useful.

Penstemmon Mon 30-Jan-17 17:41:16

I have some v comfortable boots by www.sanita.com/ Flat, ankle, furlined but water repellent suede. Did perfectly on a recent trip to Norway!

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 17:38:29

Yes, they have two removable insoles for variable depth but I keep putting shoe cream on and rubbing it in well and they are still quite hard.

Elegran Mon 30-Jan-17 17:29:21

Widerfit shoes (by DB shoes) take orthotics and have removable insoles.

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 17:28:15

Unfortunately Van Dal are not wide enough now to take the orthotics.

EmilyHarburn I bought a pair of the widerfit shoes which are roomy but they don't do half sizes which I really need, and the leather is quite hard and doesn't seem to be 'breaking in'.
Loretta seem quite good but I haven't got the boots.

EmilyHarburn Mon 30-Jan-17 17:22:44

Antonia are any of these OK?
www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/

Grannyknot Mon 30-Jan-17 16:52:18

Lucky I have the same boots, excepting colour, mine are blue. I'm crazy about them smile I wear them all the time.

My favourite boots for the past 15 years now beginning to look a bit past it, are also Rieker.

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 16:45:28

Iam64 do Timberland have a removable insole? the orthotics I have been prescribed take up quite a bit of room.

wilygran Mon 30-Jan-17 16:40:35

Rohde bought online from footwear4you at discount price. Earth Spirit from TKMaxx though I guess that's not much use to you in France. I haven't tried to source the brand online. Good luck!!

harrigran Mon 30-Jan-17 14:41:51

My boots are Gabor, Fitflop and M&S footglove and they are all wide and comfortable.