Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Comfortable but smart boots

(66 Posts)
Antonia Mon 30-Jan-17 05:55:13

Can anyone recommend a brand of really comfortable but reasonably smart ankle boots? For years I have only worn Naot boots and bought them from a German supplier on EBay, but unfortunately they no longer deliver to France. I have tried other brands in the past and abandoned them as they are just too uncomfortable to walk in. I have quite wide feet.

Araabra Mon 30-Jan-17 06:11:07

I like Josef Seibel (German) boots.

Alima Mon 30-Jan-17 06:33:51

I love my M & S Footglove ankle boots. I have a flat pair and heeled pair, they do a wide fit too. Could you ask a friend/relative in the U.K to act as intermediary to order and send new Boots out to you? Bit of a faff I know but worth it for something you really want.

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-17 06:54:39

M and S deliver direct in France and no problem with returns either. For comfort I like Hotter though. These are on Amazon as are lots of other brands like Fitflop.

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-17 06:59:26

Just an afterthought - it is interesting how many UK clothes are on Amazon.fr now. I have bought from Joules and Seasalt recently and been really pleased with what was available.

Christinefrance Mon 30-Jan-17 07:08:06

M&S deliver in France but it is a limited selection unlike UK.

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-17 07:20:44

It is Christine but they do Footglove.

dogsmother Mon 30-Jan-17 07:45:22

My Clarks short boots have been brilliant. They do online and have a sale at present I believe.

ginny Mon 30-Jan-17 08:06:17

Hotter. Very comfortable and a variety of styles.

J52 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:16:04

Another vote for Hotter and M&S, here!

Iam64 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:21:13

Timberland boots and shoes are fantastic. I have to use orthotics and have arthritic feet, knees, hip pain etc - so I buy good shoes. It's difficult to find footwear that is stylish and meets my definite needs. Timberland - great

Antonia Mon 30-Jan-17 08:33:56

Thanks, I will have a look at Timberland, Footglove and Hotter. Never heard of Hotter or Footglove before.

Laplaza Mon 30-Jan-17 09:35:17

Last few years Ive gone for Lotus. Very soft leather I also have wide feet. My daughter has bought me my last pair on line.

Jadi Mon 30-Jan-17 09:40:34

Ugg boots are as comfortable as slippers. Expensive but they do last for years.

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 09:40:40

Another Hotter fan here for boots ( nice choice) and they do wide fitting too.

cangran Mon 30-Jan-17 09:42:53

I've just bought a pair of very comfortable Moshulu ankle boots. I've had the Moshulu catalogue (they also sell lots of colourful slippers) but had never bought anything as they are quite pricey. However, when about to throw out an old catalogue, I saw the boots I had looked at a couple of years ago, did a search and found just what I wanted on eBay - they were ex-display boots and I got them at a great price. The few spots were easily cleaned; very pleased!

cangran Mon 30-Jan-17 09:48:12

This is a link to the Moshulu site (they have a sale on). The boots I got on eBay are called Candy Strip but there are other nice ankle boots too:

www.moshulu.co.uk/ladies/boots

Dharmacat Mon 30-Jan-17 10:01:18

A Hotter fan but -- BEWARE of postage rates to and from France from the Hotter website. The last time I ordered it was £13 per item and you are responsible for return postage costs which were more expensive from France. So, if you are unsure of size/fit and order two pairs to try on you will have at least £39 postage .
M&S France have a reasonable delivery rate and Clarks France have free postage and returns . Sadly, delivery charges are one of the very few drawbacks of living over here!
I realise many Gransnetters do not like Amazon for ethical reasons but they are a good source of a variety of quality footwear brands, including Hotter and Gabor etc.

westieyaya Mon 30-Jan-17 10:07:19

I have large as well as wide feet, and tend to get swollen ankles. I also do not find it easy to get boots on - lack of suppleness. I wanted some fairly smart comfortable boots and eventually my daughter found me a pair at Evans. Charcoal grey suede, mid length, and easy to put on as they lace up the front, very comfortable to wear. Good luck with your search.

annodomini Mon 30-Jan-17 10:08:37

I have a lovely pair of long Hotter boots but as they are wide fitting, they are also wide round the calves. Although I do have wide feet, my calves are not fat and the boots tend to flap around my legs. So if you have normal/slim calves and wide feet, keep your eyes open when you try them on.

Humbertbear Mon 30-Jan-17 10:25:55

I'm sorry to bring us all down to earth but I have found Primark boots to be fashionable, comfortable and hard wearing

Luckygirl Mon 30-Jan-17 10:28:16

Rieker - they are good.

blueberry1 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:29:40

I like Reiker boots,lots of lovely styles and very comfy.

Elliesgran Mon 30-Jan-17 10:49:11

Hotter - very comfortable boots, good choice of styles.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 10:56:55

Oh dear. My most comfy boots are fake Uggs bought cheaply from Amazon. So wrong on so many counts blush