Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

do u have a dash cam?

(80 Posts)
Morgana Wed 08-Feb-17 15:30:34

D H got bee in his bonnet at mo about getting a dash cam. Does anyone else have one? Are they worth having? If so which is the best?

Anya Sat 11-Feb-17 16:14:20

That's not my question I asked 'do you believe all lorry drivers are good drivers'?

Truckingsam Sat 11-Feb-17 16:08:30

Anya, what do you mean "that should have given me a clue to your gender"? It seems to me you just want an argument. I do believe lorry drivers are the best drivers on the road that is my opinion and I am entitled to it. Someone starting out now to get their class one would have to take 3 tests in 3 different sized vehicles, do a theory test and 45 hours in a class room.

Anya Sat 11-Feb-17 15:41:33

I see you're one of those who on,y take the negative from a comment truckingsam and ignore the positive I posted. That should have given me a clue to your gender.

Let me ask you .... you believe that all lorry drivers are 'good drivers'?

Truckingsam Sat 11-Feb-17 12:52:05

Badenkate, apology accepted, my name on here probably didn't help. smile

Badenkate Sat 11-Feb-17 10:33:14

Apologise deeply Truckingsam - very sexist of me to assume you are a man flowers

Truckingsam Sat 11-Feb-17 09:33:41

Anya, firstly there is no need for insults, I am in no way dillusional, I did read your posts all of them and in one of your earlier posts you did indeed condemn all home grown (as you called them) lorry drivers. It was that post that prompted me to write my post.

Ankers, that is a very good point about pulling in front of a large vehicle, that large space that I deliberately leave between me and the next vehicle is my braking distance.

Badenkate, I am a lady truck driver, a very proud lady truck driver of a 40 ton artic. I am sorry to hear about your experience, it must have been terrifying. That certainly is a case of bad driving.

Badenkate Sat 11-Feb-17 09:03:46

I don't think Truckingsam said that at all, Anya*. And he's quite right, the average car driver doesn't appreciate the difference driving a very heavy vehicle makes to many things. However, the most frightening experience I've had as a driver who has driven thousands of miles in many different countries was driving a mini and being tailgated at speed down a narrow country road by an empty car transporter. I was much younger and would have slowed down now until I found somewhere to pull in, but then, as a young inexperienced driver, I was pressurised into going faster and by the time he got past I was shaking.

Anya Sat 11-Feb-17 08:54:05

Hold on Truckingsam did you read my post? I didn't condemn all truck drivers. And I used to drive a large horse box myself, so I do know a thing or two about manoeuvring, blind spots and braking.

If you think all lorry drivers are 'good drivers' then you're disillusionall.

Ankers Sat 11-Feb-17 08:49:57

I saw something lately where someone driving a very large caravan[american RV so you can imagine the size] tried to tell people that by pulling out in front of him, that was a very risky thing to do.

That his size vehicle, and any that size for that matter, really really cannot stop in anything like the speed a person might think they can.

Personally, this has made me really take notice of that type of thing.
No way do I want to be underneath a lorry.

Before I heard him say that, I had not thought twice about the difference between pulling out in front of a car, or a truck.

Truckingsam Sat 11-Feb-17 08:36:54

Anya, I think lorry drivers get a bad name because of a lack of understanding by the average car driver of how we have to drive. I really think there should be a section in the theory test about understanding how lorries manoeuvre, blind spots, braking distance etc. Something else I wish people would think about before giving us a hard time is that, every single thing in your home and every single thing your home is made of was once upon a time in the back of a lorry.

Morgana Fri 10-Feb-17 17:03:12

Thanks everyone. Sounds a good idea.

nellgwin Fri 10-Feb-17 14:46:54

Would love one in the front of the car and rear window but as previously mentioned it is illegal to have one in Portugal. But saying that it would show my DH appalling driving and might just get through to him that he needs to stop driving.?

Anya Fri 10-Feb-17 13:19:13

Truckingsam IMO lorry drivers fall into two categories with nothing in between; the best drivers on the roads and the worse drivers in the roads. I used to do a lot of motorway driving and that's based on this experience anyway.

Now, White Van Man is not a myth. He (and occasionally she) is alive and driving atrociously in every part of the UK I've ever visited. Don't know if there's a 'foreign' equivalent....perhaps our overseas GNetters can answer that one?

DS64till Fri 10-Feb-17 11:00:43

We have one . They are fairly inexpensive and provide evidence if you have an accident. Make sure the SD card is big enough to store footage though. Word of warning though they provide evidence it might not be the sort u need wink

Truckingsam Fri 10-Feb-17 10:18:51

Anya, what do you have against our home grown lorry drivers?

shirleyhick Thu 09-Feb-17 23:30:26

Sorry no nothing about them

Icyalittle Thu 09-Feb-17 21:27:03

Thanks Chewbacca. It's a horrible letter to receive out of the blue. So, definitely worth the having Morgana, I reckon.

HurdyGurdy Thu 09-Feb-17 21:13:49

I got one for Christmas. I haven't had to put its usefulness to the test, thank goodness, but with all these cash for crash scams going around, and all the "his word against his" malarky, I want to be sure I can back up my words with visuals.

It was fitted by Halfords, so the wiring is tucked away, and it is small and discrete. Although the screen can be watched if the passenger wants to, I don't find it intrudes into my own eyeline, so I never know it's there.

It can easily be removed when the car is parked so isn't a thieves magnet.

I'd actually quite like one to be fitted to the rear of the car so watch out for those rear end shunts.

Snowdrop Thu 09-Feb-17 20:23:19

Should have added, the make is a Transcend DrivePro 200.

Snowdrop Thu 09-Feb-17 20:21:01

Yes, I have one. My stepson bought it for me 18 months ago and he fitted it for me too. He fits blue lights on doctors' cars as a side line (he's a paramedic), so it was properly done. It's saved me my excess when a foreign artic drove in to me. The only annoying thing is that it's quite sensitive so switches to 'emergency recording' if the road is a bit bumpier than usual. Also picks up sound so probably needs a 'bleeper' facility for my more fruity comments on other drivers' antics!

Chewbacca Thu 09-Feb-17 19:53:18

Oh Icy that's awful, really sorry to hear that. But if you can demonstrate that your car clearly has not been involved in an accident, that could help? Just more mither you don't need or want though. flowers

Icyalittle Thu 09-Feb-17 18:45:08

Just found out my car number has been cloned, by a police prosecution notice arriving in the post about an 'accident' I know I didn't have, somewhere I've never been. I am going to struggle to prove it wasn't me because I was just pottering at home that day. So I'm getting a dash cam this week.

Ankers Thu 09-Feb-17 15:40:41

That probably rules ours out.
If you wouldlike to know the make, he will go and look at the manual.

chrissyh Thu 09-Feb-17 15:40:31

DH has had a dash cam on his motorcycle helmet for years and then we got one for the car after we were hit by somebody pulling out of a side road. Luckily we haven't had to use it ourselves but when a driver pulled out and hit the car in front of us we stopped as a witness, and the driver who pulled out said the driver she hit was indicating to turn left. We said she wasn't and we had it on our dash came and gave the innocent party our contact number. Now, thinking of having one at the back as well. Like us, a few of the comments above don't get one until they have and accident and then it's a bit too late. Ours wasn't expensive and the picture is amazingly clear, though it is one you plug into the 'cigarette lighter'. You can buy those that are hard wired in and you would have to pay for fitting as well.

NfkDumpling Thu 09-Feb-17 15:36:25

Thank you All. My DH has a birthday coming up and it would make a wonderful present! Definitely need one where the sound can be turned off!