Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

kindle

(39 Posts)
ggmarion Tue 14-Feb-17 12:15:58

I have one of the first kindles and use it all the time to download books and read them. I would like to have one that will allow me to download audio books and use my earphones. Any advice and suggestions welcome.

Coolgran65 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:37:15

LuckyDucky you say that your Kindle takes excellent photos. How do you do this, I can only get the camera facing myself, i.e. for using on Skype etc.

annodomini Sun 19-Feb-17 23:07:06

My Fire takes photos in either direction. At the top of the screen there are two little curved arrows which you click to change orientation of the camera.

ggmarion Tue 21-Feb-17 10:17:51

Thank you all for your wise words. Well, I now have my lovely shiny kindle fire and must say I am impressed. Found loads of features (e.g. silent between certain hours). One thing I haven't sussed out yet is how to get to the home page after reading. There isn't an icon in reading mode for home. infact, no icons at all. I'm sure I'll kick myself when I find out how simple it is. confused

LuckyDucky Wed 22-Feb-17 23:23:06

I misled you if I typed Kindle, I meant Amazon Fire.
Follow anno's directions.

BTW, my DH has downloaded a video of photos.

Good luck.

annodomini Thu 23-Feb-17 11:16:31

I can also load books on to my laptop using Kindle Cloud Reader which is useful if my other two gadgets are charging!

chelseababy Sun 05-Mar-17 13:41:59

After reading this thread I ordered a Fire 7" from John Lewis. It was the same price as on Amazon with free 5 day delivery or collection from local Waitrose. Have collected it this morning and so far every happy. The bonus of ordering from JL is a two year guarantee.

Claudiaclaws Sun 05-Mar-17 16:36:31

You don't have to be a member of Amazon Prime to buy any of their kindle books, so not just the cheap ones which are emailed to you.

Nandalot Sun 05-Mar-17 16:45:41

We tried Amazon Prime for the free trial month and are now subscribing..monthly. More expensive than the £75. It would not be worth it if you are just using it for the books. You get one 'library' style book for a month, usually at the cheaper end. Plus you get a free Kindle first from a choice of six. We use it also to subscribe to Kindle Fire for Kids which is cheaper if you have Prime. But what I like is next day delivery. We live in a village so do quite a lot of online and it is good to know the day of delivery even for small items.

I am not connected to Amazon!

Nandalot Sun 05-Mar-17 16:49:37

On another note, did everyone else have problems with their Amazon tech aftertheir web went down last week? We had two kindles, and two Fire (DGCs) which would not recognise our internet. Had to reboot it. Also had to re- enter some passwords on other apps. All very annoying and time-consuming. Makes you realise what a lot of pies their fingers are in.

Anya Sun 05-Mar-17 17:29:17

Didn't even know it had gone down Nandalot everything here seemed to work OK and nothing needed re-booting, .........though I did have to fiddle around with Prime movies now you mention it.

mcem Thu 16-Mar-17 23:03:52

Happy to say I now have my kindle fire amd am delighted with it!
Naively I also discussed my thoughts with DD 1 so was just a bit embarassed when she presented me witb it for my birthday last week. The next parcel I opened was a very pretty cover for it from a good friend who was in on the secret!

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:19:22

What a lovely surprises , mcem
I have had mine just over a month and am very happy with it.
Wouldn't mind a nice cover for mine smile

LumpySpacedPrincess Fri 17-Mar-17 21:12:17

It may be worth getting some bluetooth speakers and pairing them to your fire, makes listening to books and the radio a much better experience. I have a sound bar paired to the tv and I also pair it to my tablet. Audible is excellent, I get my audible books from there.