Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

For those of you who have interviewed people. What do you look for in a candidate?

(94 Posts)
Only27 Sun 26-Feb-17 18:50:50

For those of you who have been hiring manangera or have been on an interview panel. What do you look for? How quickly do you decide if someone is getting a job? And what are the most/least impressive things a candidate has done?

I find that some interviews I absolutely nail it. I'm greeted with warm smiles as I walk in and the interview is more like a chat.

Other times I'm met with cold stares and everything I say never even raises a smile.

I don't think I act differently in the ones I did well at and the ones I didn't. feedback given has never been helpful.

So what did/do you look for?

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 19:21:54

Around here most jobs get between 200-600 applications
What, for jobs as social workers? shock

stop being so nieve
Who is Nieve ?

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 19:22:22

She doesn't like one of the blokes there Ana

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:22:37

It's only temporary and the funding is finishing in 6 weeks time.

I only got this position as I was very luckily kept on after my placement but the funding has not been approved for any temporary social workers to stay.

My experience here will barely count in applications as it just hasn't been long enough. But it will give me a slight edge.

I'm still searching for a permanent role. Temporary is no good for me as I have a child and need security.

I did sign up to an agency but all the jobs want 2 years experience which I don't have.

Esspee Mon 27-Feb-17 19:25:00

I have to admit that first impressions count with me - appearance, how the interviewee carries themself, their speech..........if these are positive then I find myself willing them to do well.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 19:25:10

oh dear, oh dear

Can I give you a word of advice (again)

Please check your CV for typos

When (if) you do get a job as a social worker please make sure your reports are coherent and everything is correct, dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:25:10

And yes, unfortunately I am being bullied by a colleague although I've learnt to ignore him now. I just distance myself (but will be glad to leave).

Everyone else here is lovely and I will miss them.

I do have an interview in a few days time so I have my fingers crossed.

I've not been for many interviews so I need to keep positive. It's not even been particularly long that I've been looking for work.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion on me.

I just wanted some opinions on interviewing in general from those with experience of being on the panel. It's been really helpful so thank you.

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:27:51

I've already explained my reports and written work are of a good standard.

I will never be someone who writes with good grammar and spelling on an online forum. I am typing on a broken old phone where it takes ages just to put a space in and it then makes a paragraph randomly. It's not something I'm going to worry about.

I've already mentioned this in a previous post further up the thread as I knew someone would make a bitchy comment. You can't get a masters with distinction with poor grammar, you just can't.

I COULD write perfectly on here. But it would take ages. So I'm not going to. It's an online forum, not my masters dissertation.

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:29:12

Thanks esspee. It's making that first impression isn't it. I will take on board these tips for my interview this week.

Cherrytree59 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:31:06

Sorry but if the OP is in fact looking for a job as a social worker, I think it will be sometime before she achieves her goal!
shock

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:36:52

How utterly horrid cherry tree.

Luckily I know I'm a good social worker and have every faith I will eventually get a job. Luckily my managers from past and present disagree with you (a stranger on a forum who had never met me or seen any of my work).

Iam64 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:40:09

What does "bitchy comment" mean?

Cherry tree's comment was based on her assessment of your contribution to the thread you started.

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:44:55

Not commenting on any more personal hate. This thread was as professional as it can get and wasn't even about me. Seems some are just after a fight and trying to make any personal hate comments they can.

I'm not going to comment on ANY more comments that are cruel and personally attacking me. I will literally be ignoring every single one.

They're only made for attention anyway, by people who enjoy being cruel.

I don't want every thread I make to be contributed by people hell bent on being nasty and passive aggressive. So the only way not to feed the nasty people is to ignore all the comments.

So write whatever bullying you won't. It will no longer be replied to. Including passive aggressive comments about me.

Thanks.

Ana Mon 27-Feb-17 19:46:36

Who are these past and present managers? How many jobs have you actually had? Finding it hard to keep up here...hmm

Elegran Mon 27-Feb-17 19:51:33

It is difficult for everyone who is just starting out to get a job, whatever their field. There are many people applying for each vacancy, so those who have a well-presented CV, have some experience and interview well will be the ones who are taken on. That bhas always been the case, but even more so at rthe moment.

Having experience in ANY job while keeping a lookout for the preferred one could mean getting good references and having something positive to talk about at those interviews.

Only27 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:00:11

Thanks Elegran. ?

Ankers Mon 27-Feb-17 20:02:56

Only27. Well done for posting and listening to advice.

The thread may well run and run, but no problem if you want to leave it.
Threads sometimes go where they may.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 20:04:27

I usually use a pc to type and post; how anyone does it on a broken old phone beats me shock

I need my reading glasses these days just to see the pc.

lizzypopbottle Tue 07-Mar-17 18:05:56

I'm sure there are many jobs that ask for relevant experience. It's a vicious circle as old as time. Job requires experience: can't get experience without a job. Many people hoping to get a teacher training place at university will delay their application and work as a teaching assistant for a year. That gives them a real insight into how classrooms work and what a teacher's workload and working conditions are like. Potential students may be rejected without this experience especially when you bear in mind the huge drop out rate in the first five years of teaching (40% within a year!). Perhaps OP could lower her sights and work for a year in a care home or volunteer in a youth club or a battered women's refuge. That would be valuable experience to take to a social worker interview.