Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

For those of you who have interviewed people. What do you look for in a candidate?

(93 Posts)
whitewave Sun 26-Feb-17 21:38:43

Wow saak that is illegal and might get zapped

MawBroon Sun 26-Feb-17 21:34:05

That sounds like illegal discrimination SAAK
I'd be wary of recommending something which breaks the law.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 26-Feb-17 21:25:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GrandmaMoira Sun 26-Feb-17 21:22:08

Where I worked before I retired, there were strict rules and forms to be completed on the candidates' suitability and the one who came top overall in all the categories listed had to be the one employed. However, sometimes there is an idefinable something about the person that is either really wrong or really right and you know if they will fit or not.

MawBroon Sun 26-Feb-17 21:12:07

Depends what you mean by "our culture"??

stillaliveandkicking Sun 26-Feb-17 21:05:05

I also believe that anyone that doesn't fit into our culture isn't to be employed.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 26-Feb-17 21:02:57

Im also in the childcare industry and employ by the way I see them interact with the kids. It's something you can't get a level or degree in.. Its so simple. I can see it a mile off.

Only27 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:02:36

For some reason I seem to find it's almost instant. They decided very quickly win me. When I'm not nervous I excel but when I am it really shows.

Thanks for the replies.

How soon do most of you decide?

I think part of the problem is how important cultural fit is. And all places have a different culture. Some will like you, others won't.

Ankers Sun 26-Feb-17 20:54:14

Suitablility for the post.
How long you think they plan on staying at the job?

I think you can tell fairly quickly how suitable an applicant they are. 1/3 way through the interview?

phoenix Sun 26-Feb-17 20:48:22

I expect that as a Social Worker you have considerable experience of making interview decisions from the other side of the table, so to speak.

Could be wrong, often am.

paddyann Sun 26-Feb-17 20:45:25

we always say that its 80% attitude and 20% aptitude in our business so enthusiasm and people skills first someone who communicates well,then we'll check portfolios for technical knowhow and artistic ability .They can come straight from uni with a degree in photography and be clueless about dealing with the public ,wedding photography is all about how you control the day and keep to schedules while all the time getting the best results possible under the most difficult circumstances.We've had brilliant staff over our 40 years in business ,many who have gone on to fantastic careers and most keep in touch with us ,even the ones who moved to the other side of the world .Now we're winding down with a view to retire in the next couple of years so we're back to just the two of us ,just how we started.Its been fun ,wouldn't change a thing

Gagagran Sun 26-Feb-17 20:35:33

I recruited a lot of clerical staff for Civil Service positions in the 1980s and 90s. The worst candidate, who I very clearly recall, was a chap who, when asked what he liked to do in his spare time, leered across the desk and said "Oh I like to watch video nasties and blue movies. I bet you like them too". He wasn't offered a job.confused

stillaliveandkicking Sun 26-Feb-17 20:23:14

Someone I know will fit in with my team and i like. Not too fussed on mega qualifications to be honest.

Only27 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:54:47

Thanks everyone. Most times I feel like the moment I sit down they've decided whether or not to hire me.

I know straight away if I'm doing well.

I often wonder what on earth they decided it on!

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Feb-17 19:35:27

Experience, qualifications, good fit for the team I was hiring for.
Good communication skills, relevant skills.

And that certain indescribable something . I always liked to work with people I liked . It made for a good cohesive team .

Never been taken in by thinking your having a 'chat' , you are always under scrutiny .

Anya Sun 26-Feb-17 19:32:40

All of those plus emotional intelligence. It also helps if they are telling the truth on their application. I asked four short-listed candidates to complete a very simple exercise on Excel (listed under 'essential' requirement) only one could do it, despite claiming efficiency on their application hmm

mcem Sun 26-Feb-17 18:58:02

Relevant experience and qualifications.
Appropriate level of communication.
Ability to work in a team.
Maturity.

Only27 Sun 26-Feb-17 18:50:50

For those of you who have been hiring manangera or have been on an interview panel. What do you look for? How quickly do you decide if someone is getting a job? And what are the most/least impressive things a candidate has done?

I find that some interviews I absolutely nail it. I'm greeted with warm smiles as I walk in and the interview is more like a chat.

Other times I'm met with cold stares and everything I say never even raises a smile.

I don't think I act differently in the ones I did well at and the ones I didn't. feedback given has never been helpful.

So what did/do you look for?