Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

teenagers meals

(56 Posts)
Outtawork Sun 05-Mar-17 10:43:22

l usually have my 14 year old grandson stay over on a friday night, he is a beanpole& a bit fussy with food. not sure about amounts of food he should be eating, for breakfast he ate a whole box 375g of chocolate pillows for breakfast. dinner the night before was a tin of chicken curry & a whole bag of pilar rice done in the microwave. plus waffles & a banana later.is this excessive?

thatbags Sun 05-Mar-17 18:29:54

Strong, healthy young feet don't need support for normal walking about. Proper hiking boots are a good idea on rough, uneven ground, but plimsolls or flip-flops on pavements are fine.

thatbags Sun 05-Mar-17 18:33:02

Re the OP and the amount of food a bean pole fourteen yo boy needs, the answer is a lot. But maybe something a little less sugary than boxed cereal. My eldest brother used to eat a whole loaf of bread and peanut butter every day as well as his meals. Another loaf did for the rest of us (6). He's in his sixties now and still slim.

absent Sun 05-Mar-17 18:33:46

Assume that an adolescent will eat at least as much as an adult man but as he's staying with you just once a week, I wouldn't get into a tizz about quantities.

thatbags Sun 05-Mar-17 18:36:23

More than an adult man, I reckon, absent. Teenage boys are still growing.

Just remembered that when we were in our teens, my mum bought cornflakes by the 10lb box for a while, so I guess we five kids got through quite a lot.

Jalima Sun 05-Mar-17 19:30:30

Do you make your own chocolate outta?

Hope he doesn't smear it all down his onesie btw

Jalima Sun 05-Mar-17 19:31:46

ps what you said he ate in the OP doesn't sound enough for a teenage boy to me.

DS would eat twice that at that age.

annodomini Sun 05-Mar-17 20:11:13

When I visited DS2's family last weekeend, I couldn't believe the amount of food the GSs (9 and 11) managed to put away. The elder one is a beanpole and doesn't have an ounce of spare flesh; the younger is tall and sturdy - the shape of a front row forward. In the restaurant, he managed a large plateful of garlic bread plus the biggest pizza they had on the menu. Both of them get plenty of exercise.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Mar-17 20:18:32

When my son was 14 he would eat cereal anytime of the day on top of his meals, it was his snack I used to find empty bowls under his bed loads of them. He was a sprinter when he was young but now he s a fully fledged ironman competitor doing hundreds of miles

Swanny Sun 05-Mar-17 20:33:34

hmm Outta here work, are you sure this is a 14-yo's intake? Sounds a bit like a p...take to me. Sorry if I'm wrong but all the growing lads I've known eat a lot more than that.

nanaK54 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:59:08

Definitely a onesie and plimsoll wind up!

grannypiper Mon 06-Mar-17 08:00:27

Having 4 boys who are all stick thin i am amazed at how little your grandson eats. One of my lot when he was still at home used to eat a pack of fresh pasta that is supposed to serve 2, a tub of creamy sauce and a whole stick of garlic bread for supper and often follows it with ice cream but at the age of 25 has a 28 inch waist. One stepson has 2 proper dinners every night. they cost me a fortune

Theoddbird Mon 06-Mar-17 10:00:21

Sounds normal for a growing teenager....hollow leg syndrome smile

Jalima Mon 06-Mar-17 10:04:55

I'm surprised posters are falling for it nanaK!
hmm

Hm999 Mon 06-Mar-17 10:18:07

I'm one of 3 sisters. My sister and I each have a son of similar age. Once they hit puberty, we could not believe how much they ate; we had no experience to draw on. One is sporty, other not so much, they are nothing alike physically, but they could both eat for UK.

Outtawork Mon 06-Mar-17 10:50:19

hi, l have suggested a cooked breakfast a few times, hes not bothered, but he did have 8 pancakes for breakfast plus a couple of waffles & a banana. he will stay over in the school holidays as well so l had better stock up then.years ago my son used to say, when he was a teenager also quite tall, he was still hungry & l never believed him, so this time l want to get it right.

Maggiemaybe Mon 06-Mar-17 10:54:31

Re student diets. We paid for catered halls for DS. Big mistake, as he lived on chip naans for 3 years. Potnoodles would have been way too much effort grin

Blinko Mon 06-Mar-17 11:49:15

In my experience, (2 DSs) teenage boys eat like locusts. If there is food in the house, it's not there for long. This generally lasts from puberty till they leave home.... It's entirely normal.

missdeke Mon 06-Mar-17 12:29:00

When I was at school.our school dinners were served in help yourself dishes on tables of 8, most of my friends had puppy fat issues, luckily I didn't, It was nothing for me to eat 8 portions of chips (only served on Fridays!) and 8 portions of dessert, usually pudding of some sort and custard. Teachers used to call me hollow legs and at 5 foot 5 inches I never went over 8 stone. Teenagers often have enormous appetites and often for the wrong sort of food. My son could eat a whole loaf of bread toasted to fill himself up with before dinner and not an ounce of fat on him.

chrissyh Mon 06-Mar-17 12:36:42

I couldn't believe that he had a whole box because of the amount of sugar in these kind of cereals. I worked out he had nearly 112g of sugar in one go. He may be like a beanpole but if he carries on eating that much sugar he is a diabetes candidate waiting to happen, not to mention the damage to his teeth.

thatbags Mon 06-Mar-17 12:54:34

maggiemaybe, "pot noodles too much effort"... Yup grin

Llamedos13 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:17:36

i want to know what a Crime Egg is

Jalima Mon 06-Mar-17 13:31:42

Any of those chocolate eggs with the goo in the middle is a crime

Llamedos13 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:35:15

Thanks for clearing that mystery up Jamila but how can one of those eggs be a crime, they are divine

Jalima Mon 06-Mar-17 14:45:07

grin

the ones with toffee in the middle are nice

Peaseblossom Mon 06-Mar-17 16:39:10

I agree, they certainly are "crime" eggs since Cadbury was sold to the yanks! The chocolate is horrible now. Overly sweet with a pastey type texture. Not nice and smooth and creamy like they used to be. Same for any Cadbury chocolate now. The Americans can't do chocolate. Their Hershey bars are disgusting.