Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vicks on soles of feet

(82 Posts)
JenRen56 Mon 06-Mar-17 10:41:27

Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been asked previously but can anyone tell me why it's beneficial to put Vicks on the sole of your feet at night when you heave a cold? Does it work? After spending 8 days in hospital I came home and a day later I went down with a cold, I know my resistance is lowered than usual but I'm struggling to get rid of it. Many thanks in advance.

Jalima Tue 07-Mar-17 15:18:20

Talullah I wonder if it is anything to do with the reflexology points on the feet?

Samie Tue 07-Mar-17 15:29:08

Yes rubbing/massaging vick into the soles of your feet really helps a cough at bedtime - after a few minutes you feel your feet become lovely and warm and after that the coughing will stop - usually.
Might be helpful for people with cold feet in bed.
Believe me it's worth buying a pot.

chicken Tue 07-Mar-17 16:33:55

I'm certainly going to try this for fungal nail treatment---much cheaper than the liquid stuff which all seem to cost around £20 a pop!

Gaggi3 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:35:48

Friend years ago used Vick on her feet for chilblains - don't suppose anyone has those any more.

amt101 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:42:56

Vicks on your feet is fantastic for plantar fasciitis. I had it for a couple of years on and off and then read about Vicks. Never had it again.

lizzypopbottle Tue 07-Mar-17 17:07:36

I doubt if anything could be absorbed through the soles of my feet! They are hard and dry from doing karate in bare feet on supposedly clean floors. They may look clean but bare feet will always find the most minute bit of grit and are black as the ace of spades after 90 minutes training! I might try vick/vicks as a softener though. Good tip! ?

harrysgran Tue 07-Mar-17 17:35:37

Sounded strange to me but I gave it a try and put a pair of bed socks on and it certainly gave me a better nights sleep

Kim19 Tue 07-Mar-17 17:38:39

Perhaps should elaborate that I don't limit my application strictly to soles. All over feet is my practice. Don't know if that's necessary. Seemed like a good idea at the time........!

Sillynanny65 Tue 07-Mar-17 18:26:59

I've done this, and it works! I had a night cough that I could not get rid of, and a friend suggested doing the Vicks thing, at first I was very sceptical, but it really does work. As suggested socks too, I used cotton ones. Also I now take Echinacea tablets, two tablets twice day, to keep colds at bay, and these work for me too.

JoyBloggs Tue 07-Mar-17 19:41:24

Direne3 Great, that's the same Vick jar I thought I'd linked to... and identical to the one I remember when I was a child thousands of years ago! I was beginning to think I'd imagined it, thank you very much! smile

NfkDumpling Tue 07-Mar-17 20:27:29

Have nasty cough (and no voice). Off to bed shortly. Will report back n the morning.

Diddy1 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:38:04

Granfran I remember doing that when a child, the Vick in the hot water and breathing in the vapours, it did the trick I remember. My Mum also rubbed some Vivk on my chest and it helped my cough,I sometimes do that nowadays, if I have a stubborn cough, and rub a tiny amount under my nose to help me breath better at night, when I have a cold, which is thankfully very seldom.

Elrel Tue 07-Mar-17 23:58:37

In the Uk it was always called, and sold as, Vick. My impression is that Vicks was always the US name. It seems fairly recent that it became Vicks here too, 10-15 years ago?

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Mar-17 06:48:30

Well, I slept like a top most of the night with no coughing! I had several bad dreams though which is why I was up at 5.45! But I won't blame that on Vick.

Nana3 Wed 08-Mar-17 07:02:07

I put the Vicks on my feet last night too NfkD. Got to sleep more quickly than usual about 11:30pm. The smell cleared my head and was relaxing. I've been awake since 4:20 am though, about my usual time.

Gaggi3 Wed 08-Mar-17 08:42:26

The sales of Vick must have gone through the roof .

rosesarered Wed 08-Mar-17 08:59:06

grin yes,Gaggi and I demand a share of their profits!
Did the soles of the feet thing last night again and had wonderful night cough free, slept from 10pm to 7 am.

Marmight Wed 08-Mar-17 08:59:39

I know people in Australia who use Vick(s) to ward off mosquitoes- a miracle cure indeed hmm

Lindaloulabel Wed 08-Mar-17 10:19:09

My daughter swears by this for her and the family. An onion in the room too. I'm going to try it too next time I'm ill. Will also try the toenail tip as well.smile

rizlett Wed 08-Mar-17 18:43:19

I've heard its great for piles - but not tried myself!

(also vaseline - fab skin softener.)

Karanlouise Wed 08-Mar-17 20:08:36

Don't think I would try it for that rizlett. shocksmile

rosesarered Wed 08-Mar-17 20:30:52

grin.... a step too far?!

Ana Wed 08-Mar-17 20:44:29

Reminds me of the time my ex applied Ralgex instead of Germolene to his piles...shock

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Mar-17 22:31:27

Vick on piles? Really? Anyone tried it?

Nana3 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:47:17

No, not brave enough.
It seems like this Vicks is not as strong as in the olden days.