Vicks on soles of feet

JenRen56 Mon 06-Mar-17 10:41:27

Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been asked previously but can anyone tell me why it's beneficial to put Vicks on the sole of your feet at night when you heave a cold? Does it work? After spending 8 days in hospital I came home and a day later I went down with a cold, I know my resistance is lowered than usual but I'm struggling to get rid of it. Many thanks in advance.

merlotgran Mon 06-Mar-17 10:59:10

Not sure about the soles of your feet but I find Vick very comforting whenever I have a heavy cold. I just rub some at the base of my neck and that helps clear my head.

One little tip somebody put on here a couple of years ago is that Vick is good for curing fungal toenail infections. I had a badly discoloured big toe and IT WORKED.

rosesarered Mon 06-Mar-17 11:00:00

Hi Jen well, having read about this on GN I did try it ( on soles) and it did seem to help with lessening of nightime coughing, but nothing I could prove, and it also gave me nice soft feet!grin Sometimes almost anything is worth a go!

merlotgran Mon 06-Mar-17 11:11:40

Knowing my luck I'd need the loo after slathering it on my feet. grin

rosesarered Mon 06-Mar-17 11:13:28

You have to keep your slippers handy at the side of the bed Merlot grin

POGS Mon 06-Mar-17 11:35:39

I thought you put it under your nose or a hanky to help you breath easier.

Surely putting it on your feet makes no sense. confused

Let us know if you give it a try.

Ana Mon 06-Mar-17 11:46:21

The sheets and your slippers would stink of Vicks! hmm

Welshwife Mon 06-Mar-17 12:01:30

I have seen that it is good for colds and coughs if you do that but assumed you popped a pair of socks on!

rosesarered Mon 06-Mar-17 12:04:42

Yes, a pair of all cotton socks was suggested but being a lazything forgetting that, I didn't do it, but haven't noticed a smell of menthol following me about, it must have all soaked into the feet!

annodomini Mon 06-Mar-17 12:53:42

It's also helpful in getting rid of fungal infection of the toenails. And while I'm on the subject: when and why did Vick become Vicks?

Karanlouise Mon 06-Mar-17 14:09:57

I do the same as merlotgran rubbing it in my neck and it really helps with my breathing. My mum used to put it on her her forehead when she had a migraine, she said it was the only thing that worked. Tried it myself a few times and it does seem to work. About putting it on your feet, I think it's worth a try, I have read it in a few places now. Hope you feel better soon jenren56

LadyGracie Mon 06-Mar-17 15:08:12

My DD was told to put Snuffles (baby Vick) on DGD feet, it did seem to help. I remember putting it on DS chest, he blistered as if he'd been burned, I felt awful, Since then I've always put some on a tissue in a pillowcase, or the bed head, never on any body part!

Ana Mon 06-Mar-17 15:45:39

I thought it was always Vicks, anno, but could be wrong...

POGS Mon 06-Mar-17 16:11:20

It is Vicks isn't it.

Although if the OP said

"Can anyone tell me why it's beneficial to put ' VICK' on the sole of your feet at night when you heave a cold?"

We could all answer 'No idea but when your done with him pass him on'. grin

MiniMouse Mon 06-Mar-17 16:19:16

Putting Vick or essential oils on the soles of the feet works because a) the soles of the feet are less sensitive than other areas of skin b) the oils are absorbed better c) the oils are absorbed more quickly.

Karanlouise Mon 06-Mar-17 16:33:19

POGS you made me laugh out loud 😁

Karanlouise Mon 06-Mar-17 16:34:19

grin was supposed to be this emoji.

JoyBloggs Mon 06-Mar-17 16:38:00

Anno I've always called it 'Vick' and still do, probably because that's what my mum and gran called it. I'm pretty sure that's what it said on the label when I was a child. My gran was a pharmacist so think she would get it right! Think it must have been rebranded somewhere along the way.

NfkDumpling Mon 06-Mar-17 18:09:27

It works on a baby's feet. I thought it was because the baby was unlikely to get it on his hands and then rub his eyes and get Vick in his eyes. An adults feet are rather a long way from an adults nose!

JenRen56 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:25:43

Thanks everyone. I have been using it on my neck, chest, around my nose and on my feet for the past couple of nights. I'm not sure it's helping by being on my feet but they are softer in the mornings, so a bonus and I keep my slippers close by for the nightly loo trip.

I am starting to feel better, thankfully. 5 days without food and drink in hospital wasn't great except I did loose 4 kilos!

grannyqueenie Tue 07-Mar-17 01:15:07

Wasn't it called Vick's Vapour Rub ?

BlueBelle Tue 07-Mar-17 05:15:49

It was always Vick in my childhood but now is Vicks like 'armonds' became 'al monds' and Nestles became nes lays and Porsche became porcha

Isn't the foot thing the same as when you have reflexology and certain points on the foot relate to other parts of the body
Aren't you also suppose to put an onion or cake of soap at your feet in bed at night probably the modern version of old wives tales

rosesarered Tue 07-Mar-17 08:53:44

Well, I had a bad coughing night last night, ( poor DH) so I sat up and rubbed some
Vicks Vapour Rub ( still called that on the tub!) on my feet.Soon stopped coughing and got to sleep.It's a bit like a mild anaesthetic!

Rinouchka Tue 07-Mar-17 09:03:09

I use this remedy to reduce nighttime coughing and it works. Vital point is that socks must be worn once ointment is applied to soles of feet. Cannot explain why.

However, there was a recent report on the dangers of rubbing Vicks on children and babies, particularly around and near the airways( so foot area seems ok). Must look into this further but cannot find the link at the moment.

rosesarered Tue 07-Mar-17 09:10:10

I don't put socks on! Still works, but must try the sock thing as well.