Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Single holidays with children

(30 Posts)
Funnygran Tue 14-Mar-17 11:42:43

My son and wife separated last year although he sees his two sons aged 3 and 9 regularly. He was initially very depressed about the split but is a lot better now and his ex has agreed that he can take the boys on holiday this summer. He is looking at all inclusive beach type holdays in Europe, somewhere with activities to suit both ages. We are all for it but I worry that he might find it hard going especially as a lone dad. I was wondering if anyone could suggest holiday companies that might cater more for single parents where he might find some moral support. I am obviously not talking about providing nightlife when he is on holiday with children. Of course in this day and age maybe I am being naive in thinking he will be the only lone parent in a holiday resort?

Waveney Thu 16-Mar-17 19:54:43

When my children were younger we went on several holidays with Eurocamp. I was a single mum, and although I didn't really make friends the children certainly did, giving me plenty of time to relax andread lots of books. I found the only real difficulty was being the only driver - fortunately my eldest daughter , acting as navigator, was pretty good at languages. Centre Parcs is cheaper abroad.

petra Thu 16-Mar-17 21:07:19

Have a look at eurocamp sites at El Delfin Verd in Spain. We have a family holiday there every year, it's wonderful.

Lisalou Sun 19-Mar-17 07:46:56

I would second Spain, and specifically the area Delfin Verd is in. There is another campsite, Castell de Montgri, www.camping-castellmontgri.com which is ace and is favoured by a lot of brits, has great installations (we take groups there every year) and there are a lot of planned activities for all ages, also near the beach, if that is his fancy.

Funnygran Mon 20-Mar-17 21:22:13

Thank you Petra and Lisalou. Both those campsites look good and worth investigating. We may even go with him!