Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Single holidays with children

(29 Posts)
Funnygran Tue 14-Mar-17 18:41:35

Thank you Lillie and broadwater for your ideas. I had forgotten about Eurocamp which we did when our kids were younger. I too have reservations about him going abroad with the little one on his own and would feel happier if he was in the U.K. in case of emergencies. But he seems determined and I am only his mum!

Lillie Tue 14-Mar-17 17:50:43

I did Eurocamp in France for many years while DH worked back in the UK. The benefits are: there are plenty of other parents around to talk to, Eurocamp offers kids clubs and the reps are available if problems occur. Most campsites have pools, play parks, cafés etc. Some have the beach on the doorstep. Brittany is a safe, not too hot region.

br0adwater Tue 14-Mar-17 17:43:14

My sister took her 3 boys camping on the continent most years in the 80s and 90s. She mostly used Eurocamp. Boys usually love camping.
My husband used to take our boys camping in Wales without me.
While your younger GS is so young I'd recommend staying in this country.
Another (pricier) option is Butlins.

Funnygran Tue 14-Mar-17 11:42:43

My son and wife separated last year although he sees his two sons aged 3 and 9 regularly. He was initially very depressed about the split but is a lot better now and his ex has agreed that he can take the boys on holiday this summer. He is looking at all inclusive beach type holdays in Europe, somewhere with activities to suit both ages. We are all for it but I worry that he might find it hard going especially as a lone dad. I was wondering if anyone could suggest holiday companies that might cater more for single parents where he might find some moral support. I am obviously not talking about providing nightlife when he is on holiday with children. Of course in this day and age maybe I am being naive in thinking he will be the only lone parent in a holiday resort?