Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Donating quality used clothing

(27 Posts)
Poppysnanny Tue 28-Mar-17 19:11:11

Are there any charities which take quality used clothes? My mother passed away last month and my sister and I have the sad task of sorting through her clothes. She was a very smart lady with clothes from place like Viyella and Jacques Vert, some hardly worn. She also has a lot of hats. I don't want to donate to a local shop as I couldn't bear to see someone wearing her things,but I'd be willing to take them further away. She would want them to go to a good cause though and I know she supported Cancer Research UK and our local hospice and air ambulance. Any ideas gratefully received.

Iam64 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:05:24

We donated my parents good quality clothes to the Salvation Army. They also collected decent items of furniture when we were clearing the house.

Jalima1108 Fri 07-Apr-17 20:11:45

I did travel quite a distance to take my late friend's clothes to a charity shop as her husband would have been distressed if he'd seen someone wearing them in our High Street.
They assured me that anything not sold there would be sent to a shop in a more deprived area and assured me it would not be our town.

In fact I offered some of her clothes to a local second-hand shop as they were very good quality ones and hardly worn - the woman in there said she only took clothes that were 'last season'. hmm I refrained from saying that it smelt rather odd in her shop and that I would prefer to take them to the rather nice Red Cross shop anyway.

MawBroon Fri 07-Apr-17 13:29:16

Further to a request that clothes are not sold locally, , not many months after my MIL died my sister in law was both shocked and upset to (apparently) catch a glimpse of her late mother a woman in her 70's/ 80's further also GN the pavement on Rye High Street wearing one of the outfits donated to the local charity shop.

mrsmopp Fri 07-Apr-17 13:22:54

Google Dress Agency if the clothes are good quality and you get a percentage of what they sell for. We had one here for years till it shut down. If goods don't sell you can have them back after a certain period.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:04:06

Poppysnanny when my DM died many years ago there were quite a lot of nice clothes in her wardrobe, some hardly worn. My niece works in an old people's home and took a lot of the items into work because some of the old ladies had nothing much at all. They were thrilled to have something 'new' to wear and one old lady in particular said that she had never had anything so lovely in her life - not that they were designer or anything like that, more Eastex and Windsmoor.

Poppysnanny Thu 06-Apr-17 19:55:24

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and sympathy, it's really helpful and has given us some useful ideas. I will contact some of the organisations you suggest and the pillowcases etc will go to a charity for the homeless x

cornergran Fri 31-Mar-17 20:32:13

Poppysnanny it's worth explaining to any organisation. When my mother died I telephoned to the Hospice shop, my father's choice, and explained we would prefer it if her clothes were not sold locally. We were met with great understanding, i was reassured and happy to take the clothes to the local shop where I was assured they would be sold much further afield. We also have found BHF to be an excellent resource, they took much of the furniture surplus to requirements when we downsized and reported back to tell us how much it had made for the charity.

ellenemery Fri 31-Mar-17 19:34:55

Just had a thought about old furniture. Son wanted to get rid of an old table and chairs and the Salvation Army were pleased to take for free. They had someone who would sand and polish it for them as they had so many people in need of furniture following the floods last year.

ellenemery Fri 31-Mar-17 19:31:21

Our local hospice shop takes clothes but do not sell in the local shop. They also take all damaged clothes, odd socks, towels with holes, ripped t shirts etc to sell to the rag industry. The manageress said as long as they are in a bag marked rags they will still be able to make some money for the hospice. They also take damaged books to sell for recycling. I hate to see any waste and if anyone can make a few pence from tatty clothes so good for them.

Carmel46 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:46:34

I am a volunteer in Mary's (Portas's) Living & Giving Shop where we tend to sell designer or good brand label clothing. All proceeds from sales go to Save The Children. If you live close to a Mary's L&G Shop, give them a call and they will come and collect from you.

GillT57 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:26:46

Good suggestion minniesmum. I have an airing cupboard packed full of single duvet sets that we no need all of, just the odd one for guest beds. Will see what I can find locally.

MinniesMum Thu 30-Mar-17 14:28:48

I concur with the above - BHF are very good and they told me that the good quality stuff is always priced accordingly!
If anyone has any surplus sheets, towels or pillowslips, contact a Homeless charity. We have one local to Wiltshire called the Amber Trust in Melksham and Trowbridge. It specifically gets youngsters off the streets and into bedsits, shared accommodation etc and are always grateful for household items to help them set up in their new life. I didn't realise how prevalent chucking the kids out when they no longer get benefit for them is. Dreadful situation. I cleared out my airing cupboard just before Christmas.

Juney64 Thu 30-Mar-17 14:13:39

So sorry to hear about your mum Poppysnanny.

I was in the same position and as others have said, The British Heart Foundation are very good. They made me feel that my mum's clothes were very appreciated.

Yorkshiregel Thu 30-Mar-17 13:54:16

If you are giving a mattress you have to make sure it is clean and not stained. Also that it has a ticket on it to prove it is fire retardant.

Yorkshiregel Thu 30-Mar-17 13:52:38

Forgot to say that the British Heart Foundation will pick the stuff up from your house so no need to take it in to town. Give them a ring.

Also forgot to say that in our town there is a company run by the council, who take charity things, big range from clothes to furniture, to books and toys, for people in the area who do not have the money to buy them for themselves. We asked them to pick up a matress and a cupboard, we also got rid of a cabinet that used to house a record deck etc but the cabinet was highly polished and in good condition so could be converted to a storage cupboard. They were very pleased anyway and they charged nothing to take away.

Someone's throw away junk are someone else' much needed items.

Yorkshiregel Thu 30-Mar-17 13:45:16

My GS asked if we would sponsor him in a cycle race. He said 'It is in a good cause, and you will get it all back because it is for 'Help the Aged' :-)

I recently had a clear out and I donated things to the Heart Foundation who will also take sheets and pillow cases but not duvets.

Also sent some things to the NSPCC; some other stuff to the local 'Friends of the Cottage Hospital shop'; and gave a lot of other stuff to Oxfam. All happy for any donations as long as they are in a reasonable condition and not dirty. Books I take to another charity shop to be recycled to other people. I buy a lot of my books from this shop.

DS64till Thu 30-Mar-17 13:10:21

AgeUk would very much appreciate for their local shops as they don't do door to door collections. Was a retail manager for them 8 years ago and we struggled for donated goods. The funds are generally used for the local elderly in your area too. If anyone wants to donate you can usually find your nearest under AgeUk or Age Concern as it was previously known x

GillT57 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:13:13

Some towns have shops which sell 'pre-loved' clothes for a percentage of the sale price. Usually high end clothes, and they keep them for a set period only. They sometimes trade as a frock exchange or similar. That was you can make a cash donation to the charity of your Mother's choice. Good quality, clean, high end clothes, suits and frocks, good quality shoes and bags. We have a lovely one around here.

meandashy Thu 30-Mar-17 11:00:18

I'm in Edinburgh and we have a place a bit like a food bank but for clothes.
There are some shops that may buy from you , wee boutique type shops

mags1234 Thu 30-Mar-17 10:35:49

Some shops do sell top end stuff only, often called charity boutiques. Our local ones are for a hospice. You can ask a charity to collect and not to sell in your local area.

M0nica Wed 29-Mar-17 13:44:21

Oxfam, again call them. They know exactly how to make the most of good quality used clothing.

You could try selling one or two really good items online through ebay. i bought a beautiful Jacques Vert coat on ebay last autumn. Cost me £55.

Poppysnanny Wed 29-Mar-17 09:53:58

Thankyou Willow500

Willow500 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:36:15

I also had the BHF call and collect a lot of bags of good clothing - they take furniture too. I also take bags to our local vets who send them to the Blue Cross.

Poppysnanny Tue 28-Mar-17 19:19:03

Thank you Marydoll

Marydoll Tue 28-Mar-17 19:13:45

I phone British Heart Foundation to pick up clothes, this means they do not end up in our local shop. If you go online, you will find a number to call for a pick up.