Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tipping

(67 Posts)
Mapleleaf Thu 30-Mar-17 07:11:07

Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone can answer a question for me please. If anyone has been on a river cruise can you tell me what you did regarding tipping? Did you set a sum aside and give it to the purser on board ship at the start of the cruise, or did you tip individual staff on a daily basis or at the end of the cruise and if so, what amount would you think was a reasonable amount to give? I want to make sure I budget enough for tipping, but don't want to appear mean. Thank you for your help. smile

janetta46 Mon 01-May-17 23:33:16

We went on our first ever cruise last year, a river cruise, and it was all-inclusive which according to the brochure also included gratuities. The all-inclusive really did mean everything, all drinks of every description, champagne, (the real stuff) single malts, etc. as much as you wanted and at any time of day. Ditto the food. So no complaints there, and the service was excellent. But it was expensive and we were rather put out to be told at the end of the cruise that, although gratuities were included, if we wanted to show our further appreciation there were some envelopes at the desk for you to stuff with wads of cash. We didn't...

Norah Mon 01-May-17 23:09:24

Crafting maybe you've got the whole set boxed. More expensive cruises don't have a tip scheme?

I hope OP comes back and tells what she encountered to a tip scheme.

NfkDumpling Mon 01-May-17 21:54:07

We've booked on the Hurtigruten Norwegian fjords for next winter and it stressed that wages are high enough that tipping is not expected or required. You can if you wish but it's not considered usual or necessary.

On the other hand, when we did a Nike cruise with Saga the details from them stated how much was expected as an average, but we should put it in an envelope in the box in reception to be shared amongst the crew. However the stewards all did their best to persuade us to part with extra for them alone and several single ladies felt they were bullied into it.

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 21:46:45

But you said you had been on many cruises. Try more expensive ones, gratuities are included. Off to watch 8 out of 10 Cats Does Coundown. X

Crafting Mon 01-May-17 21:35:41

Perhaps we are going on different types of cruises. I go on ones that maybe cost a bit more to begin with but don't need passengers to tip in order to make up the crews wages. Possibly it is the American cruises that pay their staff low wages and expect passengers to tip well. I don't suppose it matters much as long as you know which sort of cruise you are going on and what level of tipping (if any) is required before you go.

rosesarered Mon 01-May-17 21:33:06

I agree with you Jane and these companies who may be paying peanuts to Eastern European workers and who then expect the guests to make up the shortfall must be laughing their heads off. This is a real eye opener as I haven't been on a river cruise, but have seen how expensive they are, especially Viking as their ads come through the door regularly.In hotels, we always leave a tip for waiting staff ( if merited) and the cleaners.
My tip for companies running these cruises is ......pay your staff properly! Gratuities should only be given if the guest wants to, and they decide the amount themselves.

Jane10 Mon 01-May-17 21:28:33

I disagree it is you people who are propping up this rapacious system who are perpetuating it.
I will continue to take whatever sort of holiday I like, pay for it in full and tip any staff member I feel deserves it.

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 21:20:57

It might not make sense to you , but it does to me. If you disagree with the system, why continue to cruise. You are perpetuating a method of paying staff that you disagree with. If your principles are so strong, surely you should boycott this type of holiday. I believe that not tipping , or tipping meanly, might, lessen the already poor pay that cruise waiters receive. I have never received anything other than exemplary service, but maybe that is because I am polite and courteous.Maybe another type of holiday might suit you better.

Jane10 Mon 01-May-17 21:06:39

Aquagran - we have been on many cruises both ocean and river cruises. Your comment makes no sense. Being sensible enough to want to be waited on by well paid staff who don't have to rely on passengers to make up their wages does not preclude me or anyone else from cruising.

Crafting Mon 01-May-17 20:57:52

Good sense of humour ?

Crafting Mon 01-May-17 20:57:02

£400 for tips!!! What sort of cruises are you going on? If this is the norm on American cruises then thank goodness we stick to Saga. Saga treat their employees very well and say no tipping is reqiured everything is all in. Mind you the cruise if reasonably expensive but I would rather pay a proper rate than to feel I had to tip everyone. We have never had surly service on Saga. All the crew on our cruises have been wonderful. Kind, courteous, food sense of humour and brilliant at their jobs. We do give tips for good service but nothing like those sums mentioned on this thread.

Bellanonna Mon 01-May-17 20:45:29

Xposts with Gf

Bellanonna Mon 01-May-17 20:44:18

Well said jane

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 20:24:58

Maybe cruising is not for you.

Galen Mon 01-May-17 20:23:31

Apparently, the gratuities "suggested" by the cruise lines, do not get divided amongst the staff on board. They go to HQ who then do who knows with them.
I refuse to pay them, then pay appropriate staff as deserved

Greenfinch Mon 01-May-17 20:08:52

Well said Jane.You have hit the nail on the head.

Jane10 Mon 01-May-17 20:01:12

My point for the 4th time (at least) is that I'd rather pay the cost of a cruise that covered decent wages for all staff and not prop up the multinational companies that employ staff on pathetic pay rates and happily let us suckers supplement their pay with tips that these extremely profitable companies have the nerve to dictate.
Mean or stupid. Take your pick.

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 19:41:40

We never sit with Brits, all they do is moan.

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 19:39:58

Exactly Norah. Gratuities are just part of the holiday. Be kind and generous to overworked waiters and I'm sure the service you receive will be what you require.

Norah Mon 01-May-17 19:33:47

I agree with aquagran, staff are not paid well. I'll tip generously for good service.

It's preference or opinion, that I feel is important for the underpaid in the world.

Norah Mon 01-May-17 19:29:48

Indeed, Jane10, indeed. smile Why not be kind and generous? Either go and enjoy or not, improper tipping won't enhance the holiday.

Jane10 Mon 01-May-17 19:20:12

Round and round we go. Read the previous posts aquagran

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 18:55:44

There are many regular cruisers on this site who know the exact ins and outs of how cruise staff are paid, and hopefully they will post and give you the accurate information. However, I know that the staff are not paid well, are overworked compared to when I started cruising twenty five years ago, and greatly value gratuities and a high scoring evaluation from their guests to keep their jobs. They now have too many guests to cater for, so have no time to chat. Please tell me which cruise line these "tight" people were on so that I will never have sit at a table with such skinflints!

Bellanonna Mon 01-May-17 18:21:20

Of whom??

aquagran Mon 01-May-17 15:21:44

How mean!