subsidising

Morgana Thu 30-Mar-17 23:05:39

My son is still awaiting his 'urgent' op. We have offered to pay for him to have it done privately. Have been informed that we might get a subsidy from National health service as he has waited so long. Anyone heard of this or had experience of how it works?

Hopehope Fri 31-Mar-17 00:05:51

never heard of it myself. If no other Gransnetters have experienced it as Mr Google:-) I bet there will be alot about that on there. Good Luck

M0nica Fri 31-Mar-17 10:07:40

Yes.I have heard of it. I think you are entitled to some treatments in a private hospital if the NHS wait is too long.

But I think it is restricted in range and application.

I tried googling it but it was very difficult to find any definite information. The best thing for your son to do is visit his GP and ask about it.

Cherrytree59 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:04:18

Ask your GP
I had my op at private hospital paid by NHS
My GP arranged a visit to the consultant at the Private hospital who agreed an op was required and I had the op about 6 to 8 weeks later .

ExaltedWombat Sat 01-Apr-17 09:29:12

The NHS often buys spare capacity at private hospitals. The consultant you see at the private hospital very likely works at a NHS hospital as well. If something goes wrong in a private operation you'll quickly find yourself transferred to a NHS one where they have better Intensive Care facilities. This sort of blurring of NHS and private has been going on for years.

Teddy123 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:36:18

I have heard of this. In fact a friend has recently had 2 ops done at a private hospital because of NHS delays. She used the CIRCLE CARE group of hospitals who appear to do a huge amount of routine procedures.

Rosina Sat 01-Apr-17 09:38:25

My OH had an operation at a private hospital, courtesy of the NHS. We know several people who have had this happen.

grandMattie Sat 01-Apr-17 10:00:29

I was offered an operation in a private clinic by the NHS as I had waited "too long" for an operation on my shoulder. Was very glad to have it. So yes, it does happen.
Did you watch the BBC programme "Hospital"? They were taking people from St. Mary's Paddington, to the Lindo wing for the same reason.

Crazygrandma2 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:03:44

Someone who works within NHS management recently told me that the NHS does use private providers to take up the slack. However, the private providers are paid exactly the same as if the NHS had done it. My husband has had various scans done at private hospitals on the NHS. I'm advised they only like to do the very straightforward operations though.

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Apr-17 10:28:22

I've just paid (quite a lot) to have a new knee.. In the next room was a chap who'd jumped through all the hoops and got onto the 18 week wait list but as the 18 week deadline was nigh the NHS paid for his op in Spire.

It was a bit galling for me having paid, but I got it done a good year before I would have as mine wasn't standard arthritic collapse, I only waited 3 weeks (4 from seeing my doctor)! There was practically no chance of last minute changes or cancellations. Etc,etc.

It seems to depend on your health authority how hard you have to push to get NHS funding for private care, but its certainly available. It may be worth ringing round your local private providers' and asking the receptionist. These lovely people are pre-programmed in niceness and honesty in my experience. Ask nicely and you may find out if there's a chance for your son through the NHS or should you try to raise the money and how much would it cost. Don't give the impression you're loaded and willing to pay regardless and they may well tell you what you need to know.

jacig Sat 01-Apr-17 10:52:16

This happened with my daughter and the operation was done in a private clinic and all follow up appointments. She was on a waiting for 9 years but this was because she couldn't have it until she was 16. We had expected being on the list from her becoming 16, so were presently surprised

W11girl Sat 01-Apr-17 12:03:01

Yes there is such a scheme. Check out the NICE committee website or talk to your GP. There maybe a criteria to meet however, such as if the condition is life threatening etc.

barbaralynne Sat 01-Apr-17 12:50:23

I was told last year that I needed a hip replacement and my GP referred me to a private treatment centre - I saw the consultant in October and had the operation done 1st November. The care was excellent and I had a 6 week post-op check and they will see me again 12 months later for a check up before discharge. Any problems meantime and I just need to call them and they will get me back to see the consultant.

LouLou21 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:30:54

It falls under a scheme called nhs patient choices, you can ask your GP for a referral to any private hospital of your choice and they will send you an appointment date. I had a knee replacement under this scheme at a private hospital no charge.

Legs55 Sat 01-Apr-17 14:25:12

DH had his Aortic Abdominal Aneurism operated on in the Private Wing of an NHS Hospital (his was covered by BUPA through his employers).He saw same Consultant as he had under NHS, same Consultant operated. Operation was cancelled 1st time as there had been a serious traffic accident & there were no Intensive Care beds. 2nd time he had to wait until the afternoon for his operation. I was aware that NHS can use Private Hospitals for NHS Patients. Talk to GP & see if it's a possibility.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Apr-17 15:25:29

You may get the op at a private hospital if from an NHS overload but as far as I know that is all you get .
Private room and bathroom,? specialist menu to chose from? ,free meal for your visitors,? extended visiting hours? 24 hour hot drinks service.? I don't think so.

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Apr-17 15:26:20

if anyone can do this Loulou why doesn't everyone? What are the criteria? I can only afford the one knee privately funded - the other one will be NHS, but if I can NHS funded private treatment I certainly will!

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Apr-17 15:30:37

No free meals for visitors with privately paid for Spire patients Sara. And only a hot drink between meals - no bickies and only once was DH offered a drink too. The NHS patients had the same private rooms and facilities, there are no others and same 9.00am - 9.00 pm visiting. The only difference was I was able to ask to stay an additional day, but that was grudging.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Apr-17 15:55:25

LouLou21.
The NHS do give patients a choice of location for NHS funded treatment.
Unless it is a matter of NHS overload only then would it be carried out at a private hospital and most unlikely if nigh impossible that the NHS patient would have a location choice for 'private' in those circumstances.

Riverwalk Sat 01-Apr-17 15:57:44

sarahellen I used to work in a private hospital - NHS patients get exactly the same treatment and facilities. No visitors private/NHS got free meals.

Morgana Sat 01-Apr-17 16:49:50

We have asked about private but the wheels still seem to be grinding slowly!! It is an exploratory op and he is having injections at moment to 'shrink' whatever should not be there. We still have no date for surgery. But thanks for a your comments. Given me hope.smile