Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mr P has just complained about his dinner, who's right, him or me?

(163 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Apr-17 18:45:11

Evening all,

Mr P is currently away from Monday morning until Friday afternoon, with no access to a kitchen and a limited budget for eating out.

So, when he IS home, I try to do reasonably healthy food.

Friday. Sweet chili chicken, bami goreng, small salad on the side.

Saturday. Grilled ribeye steak (on special offer in Lidl) jacket potato, salad.

Sunday. Chicken parcels (a chicken breast, a quality chipolata sausage on top, wrap the whole thing in bacon, bung in dish and roast) roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese (not a whole cauliflower, just cut off a few decent sized florets) leeks, mashed swede, stuffing, a few carrots for me (he's not keen on carrots confused) gravy, of course.

He says I do too many different veg, I disagree!

I prep them all, (apart from the potatoes, somehow we have got into the habit of doing them together, him peeling, me chopping ready for par boiling, while listening to the omnibus edition of the Archers blush )

I feel that he eats some pretty crap food while away, so like to feel that I'm at least giving him something halfway decent when he's at home!

BTW, he did say he enjoyed his meal, just that there was a bit too much. Didn't see anything left on the plate though.........

phoenix Sun 16-Apr-17 17:42:01

Ah, but we are having spring greens, Charleygirl, and I seem to remember you don't like them!

Charleygirl Sun 16-Apr-17 17:38:11

Oops, I live in London.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Apr-17 17:37:47

Could I maybe move in please? I promise that you will not hear a whimper from me it will be praise after each meal. I am also good at washing up. Do you live remotely near me?

Luckygirl Sun 16-Apr-17 17:29:59

Well - if he doesn't like it, he can take over the cooking. I would kneel on the floor and grovel if someone cooked me these lovely meals!

aggie Sun 16-Apr-17 17:21:01

Our local Garage/spar grocery shop does take away Sunday dinners , they always bulk them out with loads of veg ! I share with OH and get most of the veg smile

grannylyn65 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:11:41

Count me in !?

phoenix Sun 16-Apr-17 15:51:16

grin

kittylester Sun 16-Apr-17 15:44:56

Erroneous C!! confused

kittylester Sun 16-Apr-17 15:44:31

CDid I ever have your address phoenix? If not, could you please pm me!

phoenix Sun 16-Apr-17 15:35:34

Just up dating, because "some" may be dying to know, bad Phoenix yesterday, Morrison's "slam it in the oven" curry, prawn buhna, chicken Korma, aloo ghobi saag, rice, all for £6 shock

But back on course today, lamb, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, leeks, carrots peas, and spring greens.grin

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:31:24

Very apt at Easter, depending on which Agrippa you are grumppa of course.

phoenix Wed 12-Apr-17 21:06:18

grumppa so sorry about the Agrippa, strange auto correct!

phoenix Wed 12-Apr-17 21:03:15

Agrippa he's fine with swede, his sort of gripe was that the dinner was just too big! 2 points to bear in mind, he dished up, so was totally in control of the size of his meal, and surely it is good to have lots of different veg on the plate, you can have a bit of each so lots of flavours , rather than a large helping of just 2?

Crafting, everything is relative, he lived on pasties, pot noodles and crisps from Mon to Thurs last week , so I think what he had over the 3 nights he was home was a distinct improvement!

Sadly, no pudding, he doesn't really "do" desserts, whereas I love things like Apple pie, rhubarb crumble etc.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 20:16:30

Very "here and now" will use it in the future. Im a bit more "var".

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 20:12:48

'Bring your own bottle' to be polite!

wine [elderflower presse] [gin] etc whatever is your tipple!

Ana Wed 12-Apr-17 20:08:38

Think it's 'bring your own booze' saak!

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 20:03:14

Nigella is sucking on her spoons and getting her twinkly lights ready right now.

What's a byob? is it text speak?

Crafting Wed 12-Apr-17 19:55:47

I'm not sure if this is a cooking thread or a sex line now, what with patting breasts, straightening sausages and how much lubricant to use shock grin

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:54:08

and some Easter eggs please

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:53:46

Tizliz we're all going to phoenix's on Sunday aren't we? Make sure you do your shopping on Saturday and byob wink

annsixty Wed 12-Apr-17 19:52:11

In England Tizliz the shops will be closed on Sunday, the only day they are forced by law to close I believe.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 19:27:32

More of a chops mash and veg person myself. Also love a steak, chips, mushrooms, tomatoes and a bit of crusty bread with butter. My mother lived till 90 on all the above. Very balanced.

Tizliz Wed 12-Apr-17 17:52:37

Must have lived a sheltered life as I haven't heard of these dishes, apart from cauliflower cheese. I will have to visit Lidl on Sunday - amazingly there is one only 15 miles away from where I live in North Highlands.

Phoenix - can I come to dinner as well? Think I will leave OH behind as he is not very good on compliments grin

NfkDumpling Wed 12-Apr-17 13:47:08

We have no Lidl near either, which is why I asked about garlic. Will have to call in when passing at some time (when I shall stand in the doorway trying desperately to remember what the stuff is called)

Agree about Mr Ps cauliflower cheese. Plenty of crisp bacon and extra cheese grated on top. Parmesan is good!

Norah Wed 12-Apr-17 11:22:45

I cook nasi goreng with chicken and it is quite good, however I'm not a very good noodle cook. Today I have inspiration and all the ingredients already at hand, I'll try Bami again. DH loves sambal, seemingly by the cup. No Lidl near.