Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost purse

(97 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 18:20:32

This afternoon, I dropped my purse outside a shop. I have just quickly returned to the shop to be told my purse was handed in by an elderly gentleman. I am so relieved - it was not only cash but cards. I have his name (village shop who know all their regulars) and will write him a thank-you note via the shop. He said he doesn't want a reward but I feel an obligation to give him something. If you were that old gentleman, would you really be pleased to get something irrespective of what you say? I am finding this a difficult one.

Karen1959 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:36:25

For goodness sake. A decent person did a good thing--- a decent woman wants to do a good thing.. write a card, wrap some chocolates and all will be happy... He will appreciate being appreciated... She will appreciate being appreciated.. It's about being human .its not rocket science.

pollyperkins Wed 12-Apr-17 16:35:30

Thankyou note would be fine. I once found a pair of glasses in a case. The name snd address was in case (a different town) so posted it. Was thrilled to get a lovely thankyou letter. I certsinly wouldnt have wanted cake or any other of the suggestions!

Morgana Wed 12-Apr-17 16:35:07

We found some keys a couple of months ago on the pavement near where we live. We knocked at a nearby house and spoke to the lady. Left the keys with her
She noticed someone looking for something later that day so the keys were reunited with owner
A nice thank you letter was posted through our door. We felt a nice glow! And I posted it on a local Web site so everyone could feel the glow!

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:24:21

Just a thank you note, that would be appreciated I'm sure Beam smile

Caro1954 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:22:55

I'm with nanarose!

ajanela Wed 12-Apr-17 16:18:42

As they said he is a dog walker how about the cake or an Easter egg and some doggie treats

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Apr-17 16:18:36

Blimey, Rigby, there was only £20 in the purse. Could I afford to have you find it?

EEJit Wed 12-Apr-17 16:18:20

Not sure about the cake idea. You don't know if he has any medical conditions such as celiac disease for example.

hulahoop Wed 12-Apr-17 16:09:28

We found a ladies handbag in a car park we were able to find her phone number in a little diary felt awful even lucking in bag though we offered to meet her but she insisted we stayed at home and she brought us a litre bottle of whisky we said we were fine but she put it on doorstep and left didn't like to tell her we don't drink whisky family and freinds do though I was just happy to give her bag back its worst feeling when you lose things ?

Lewlew Wed 12-Apr-17 16:04:39

In the Easter spirit, give him whatever food treat you think you would like to have. If he's diabetic, he'd probably be just as grateful and then pass it on to a family member or friend.

Or... you could give him a voucher for the local pub or something similar. It would depend on how much cash was in your wallet and how put out cancelling all the cards would make you. Put yourself in his shoes as to what you would like to have, and think of how relieved you are at his honesty.

Ask the village shop keeper in confidence.

grannylyn65 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:00:14

Oh printmiss exact thing happened to me !!!

VIOLETTE Wed 12-Apr-17 15:46:08

What a lovely kind man ,and so lucky an honest person found your purse ! If the local shop you were in knows him well,you could perhaps ask them if he comes in for something for himself ...i.e. wine (if so what) cigarettes if he smokes, as I believe they are quite expensive nowadays, a treat of something else for him or his dog if he has one and doesn't just walk others......a donation to a charity and a nice thank you card. Any small gesture would I am sure be a nice surprise for him and probably unexpected ! I have found various things in my time (a gold necklace with a '21' pendant on it, money, a video camera, a gold engraved pen ,,,handed them all in ,,,never received a thank you but at least I knew I had done the right thing !

Rigby46 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:41:07

Anyway Beam if I ever find your purse ( in the event that I return it) I like those Green and Black packs of individual mini bars ( available at Sainsburys) grin

Rigby46 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:38:38

I think given the time of year, something on the Easter egg theme would be great -M and S have some very prettily packaged Easter chocs, sweets, eggs etc starting at only £2 so it wouldn't be a flamboyant gesture at all just a token

Rigby46 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:35:56

But nancy my take on it is that the owner of the lost whatever feels better for giving a small gift and there's nothing to be embarrassed about in graciously accepting that. As I said upthread, experiencing honesty and kindness is lovely and by marking that with a small gift of thanks is part of what is so nice about being human and acknowledging the good there is in so many of us.

nancytownsend Wed 12-Apr-17 15:06:49

If it was me, I would find a gift embarrassing. After all, he only did what we all should have done.

nancytownsend Wed 12-Apr-17 15:04:44

I think a thank you note would be plenty. He obviously doesn't want a fuss made - so don't over-think it.

Diddy1 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:04:00

What a lovely man, and yes he should be thanked with a card, and maybe some flowers.
Cakes and chocolate although lovely, can be a problem of he is diabetic.Glad you got your purse back, what a relief.

Teddy123 Wed 12-Apr-17 14:34:46

I think a thank you card and flowers!
Everyone likes flowers and men don't receive them often enough.
Though the suggestion of a chocky egg with his name on it is also lovely.

My DD & I found an Iphone in the street .... Can't remember how we contacted the owner (since we had his 'phone). Anyway 20 mins later he turned up where we were waiting in a coffee shop ..... With a bottle of champagne! Lovely!

Norah Wed 12-Apr-17 14:17:29

Given the chance he couldn't eat sweets or drink wine - I'd donate to a dog charity, send him the little receipt in my note.

newnanny Wed 12-Apr-17 14:08:22

Home made chocolate chip cookies still warm when delivered.

W11girl Wed 12-Apr-17 14:05:09

No, not really. I would be happy with myself for having done a good deed, thats all that matters. It came natural to the man to be honest.

willa45 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:58:24

A lovely note of appreciation accompanied by a gift card to a local restaurant or movie theater.

sweetcakes Wed 12-Apr-17 13:53:05

What about a small fruit basket or a tin of biscuits that would be nice.

RAF Wed 12-Apr-17 13:44:37

Perhaps a bag of dog treats? smile If he has a garden, a rose bush? Problem with a cake or chocolate is that he might be diabetic. I think the important thing is the letter, if you tell him it has put a spring back in your step, and if her ever feels like a coffee to contact you?