Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost purse

(96 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 18:20:32

This afternoon, I dropped my purse outside a shop. I have just quickly returned to the shop to be told my purse was handed in by an elderly gentleman. I am so relieved - it was not only cash but cards. I have his name (village shop who know all their regulars) and will write him a thank-you note via the shop. He said he doesn't want a reward but I feel an obligation to give him something. If you were that old gentleman, would you really be pleased to get something irrespective of what you say? I am finding this a difficult one.

whitewave Mon 10-Apr-17 18:21:36

Well I would. Bake him a cake!!

tanith Mon 10-Apr-17 18:23:31

I actually think he would be most pleased to receive your thanks via a note or card.

chelseababy Mon 10-Apr-17 18:24:18

I'd be happy with a letter of thanks,though some flowers or a cake would be appreciated.

Ana Mon 10-Apr-17 18:25:42

I agree - certainly no monetary reward.

Kittye Mon 10-Apr-17 18:28:08

Yes I'm sure a nice cake would be most welcome?

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Apr-17 18:30:27

Yes, a note or card - and a cake is a lovely idea! Definitely not cash.

mumofmadboys Mon 10-Apr-17 19:29:00

I think he will be pleased with a thank you note but a home made cake would be very nice!

BlueBelle Mon 10-Apr-17 19:31:04

Or some chocolate just a small appreciation gift ( I d never inflict one of my cakes on anybody )

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:40:41

Yes, definitely a note and perhaps a cake or chocs

Greenfinch Mon 10-Apr-17 20:09:00

What the others say.

Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 20:17:57

Thank you all. I am not sure my cakes are that good. A woman would be easy; flowers. My husband has said he would like a bottle of wine, so it will probably be that. I felt money was not right.

jusnoneed Mon 10-Apr-17 20:29:14

If the shop knows the gentleman they would probably be able to give you an idea of what he likes (he may not be a wine drinker or cake eater). A lovely thing for him to of done.

Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 20:55:08

I did ask but they didn't know that much only that he walked people's dogs so obviously a decent person. I am not convinced about wine so suggestions for a gift welcomed.

Nannarose Mon 10-Apr-17 21:08:37

I tend to avoid alcohol unless I know the person, having known a few abstainers in my time. Even if, for any reason,he can't eat cake, I'm sure he would appreciate the gesture. If you make something like a ginger cake or fruit cake, they don't go stale quickly - so if he can't eat it, he'll have a little time to pass it on or donate to a coffee morning or something.
I have, in a similar situation sent money, saying 'after any expenses you incurred, you may like to donate this to your favourite charity'. However, in my case,the person probably had incurred some expense, I had no idea of their financial circumstances, and was not in a position to offer a home made cake. I got a nice thank-you, but no mention of what they did with the money.

Beammeupscottie Mon 10-Apr-17 21:38:17

Thank you Nanarose. It is really difficult when you don't know the person but want to show gratitude.

rosesarered Mon 10-Apr-17 22:53:59

I would not want to receive any kind of gift Beam he did what any honest person would do.A small note or card saying thank you is another matter, that I would appreciate.

Hopehope Mon 10-Apr-17 23:50:59

I think a cake would be great! I once stupidly walked away and left my card in the ATM machine. This is also a small town, when I got home the Bank called me and said a Lady had brought it in.

I never knew who she was, but left a card and some Roses choccies at the Bank for her. I hope she wasn't diabetic lol, but the thought was there

PRINTMISS Tue 11-Apr-17 08:45:31

I think the cake and card a good idea too, a talking point as well! Re you card left behind Hope I once found £100 in the cash point, I took it into the bank, who said Oh! thank you we will be able to find out who used the machine before you, if you give us you details, and give them the cash. I never ever heard another word, and in retrospect realise I should have kept the money and advised the bank. I was probably just too anxious that whoever had left the £100 behind should not be left without any cash. Won't do that again.

Karanlouise Tue 11-Apr-17 12:35:57

What a nice man, i agree with a lot of the posters that a note with a cake or chocolates would be nice.

rosesarered Tue 11-Apr-17 13:10:13

My point is that I am an honest person and do not want rewarding for being honest.I also would not want to eat a cake made by somebody I don't know.

Beammeupscottie Tue 11-Apr-17 14:32:28

My daughter has told me to go to Thorntons and have his name,Henry, piped onto a chocolate egg!

rosesarered Tue 11-Apr-17 16:17:07

Now, that I would eat! grin

whitewave Tue 11-Apr-17 18:28:10

Haven't you ever bought a cake at a local fete or WI rose? The last cake I made for was a chocolate one for the May Day Fete -one of the charity stalls my DD helps with. It is always a very popular stall.

I would hope none of us would do something in the expectation of a gift. And it really isn't about that - it is all about showing appreciation, It oils the wheels of friendship and thanks and civility.

Grannyboots1 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:42:40

I found a purse with money and cards in years ago, I handed it into the police who took my address. A week later I received a bouquet of flowers and a lovely letter from the grateful owner. It made me feel really happy.