Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ageing

(37 Posts)
LuckyDucky Sat 15-Apr-17 21:11:51

You all are so knowledgeable I'm hoping for practical advice.

I've hands which have bent fingers (osteoarthritis), obvious tendons and veins sad. Any rings I have, would have to be enlarged, so I can slide them over my middle joints.

I've started to wear nail polish, then wondered if a spray tan could make them look betterconfused The nail polish doesn't make the veins disappear, it gives me a little self confidence.

I already use a cheap foundation to cover veins on my feet and legs when wearing sandals.I tried spray tan
on my feet and legs: Took ages to get bathroom crannies de-tanned smile

JillyJosie2 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:32:19

I started taking a collagen supplement last year (marine collagen) and the effect on my skin is remarkable. Wrinkles disappearing and veins and sun spots much less visible. DH asked for some and the result has been the same.

Vitamin D is important too of course.

Gagagran Thu 20-Jan-22 10:30:14

My hands aren't veiny but the skin is very thin and any knock I get, or even if I scratch an itch results in a purple patch developing.

Looks awful. I asked my GP about it and she said being on steroid inhalers for asthma affects the skin and makes it very thin. Nothing I can do to prevent it. I have considered wearing gloves full time but that's not really practical. I think they are called purpura.

Yammy Thu 20-Jan-22 10:29:29

I use a gradual tanning cream on my legs in summer, I never thought to put it on my hands. I did feel a bit daft when someone told me to put hand cream on the back of my hands first rather than the palms which are not as veiny.
My go-to polish was bought by DD it is expensive but lasts ages. It's by Dior and is a transparent pink that gives your nails a polished shine with just a hint of pink. I find dark polish which I loved just draws attention to my hands. I also have a curved nail file that makes it easier to file them into a good shape.
My mum swore by Nivea cream for everything but I am allergic to it.
Anyone tried dyeing their eyelashes? mine are non-existant without mascara? I want one that goes on like mascara and does not have to be mixed.

Esspee Thu 20-Jan-22 10:06:43

Reported

Herrybraun Thu 20-Jan-22 09:55:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Herrybraun Thu 20-Jan-22 09:51:41

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Leesa Tue 18-Apr-17 13:02:51

I agree Teddy123-Katie Piper face to face was wonderful!

I too have awful vieny hands-maybe because I don't wear gloves for cleaning.No matter how much hand cream I use they always seem to be dry and super vieny.

DanniRae Tue 18-Apr-17 12:51:12

I hate my old and wrinkly hands. I even stopped going to a local hairdresser because when she was helping me on with my coat she commented "Oh, look at your hands. Let me show you how to put on hand cream!". Silly woman - what a stupid thing to say!! angry

nipsmum Tue 18-Apr-17 12:10:50

Like Ethelwulf i say don't worry . Aging is a sign of long life and hands show hard work. Be proud of all your wrinkles it has taken all you life to develop them.

Coolgran65 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:12:00

I use Coty Sunshimmer on my feet and lower legs. Because of veins I wear maxi length or 7/8 ankle grazers. The sunshimmer is enough the take away the blinding white and looks grand with toenails polished.
The Sunshimmer looks alarmingly dark but mix it with a little body lotion to apply a little at a time. Good thing is that it washes off if necessary with warm soapy water but isn't affected by rainwater.

Use it also on the arms and hands. But go easy especially on the hands or you'll have to wash it all off and start again. Use polythene gloves and then do backs of hands last.

Caro1954 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:19:44

My knuckles are a bit knobbly now and the skin on my hands a bit slack but I don't mind too much. What I do hate are my old white legs! Always "sturdy" I would never display them naked and find Dove a good product. But you'll only ever see the ankles and feet! Lucky ducky I hope you find something to make you feel more confident and step out proudly!

Teddy123 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:27

katyK did you see Katie Piper (the acid attack victim) channel 4 'face to face' .... Well worth watching on catch up.

The camouflage effects used for Rosacea and other facial skin conditions were truly stunning, all done by beauty therapists with the same problems!

My husband had Rosacea some years ago. He was given long term tetracycline to stop the problem worsening. It eventually seemed to burn itself out and his skin is now fine. I remember it could be exacerbated by sunbathing.

Please watch this fascinating programme!

Lilylilo Mon 17-Apr-17 16:47:43

I had thread veins on my legs injected.
Likewise little weird red blobs on my back and chest. They just scab over - brilliant!

ethelwulf Mon 17-Apr-17 16:13:34

Wrinkles, visible veins, stretch marks, liver spots etc.... all badges of honour as far as I'm concerned, and an indication of years of life experiences. Personally, I'd make no effort to hide or even camouflage any of them, but each to their own... :-)

GillT57 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:56:05

Boots do a good product ( can't remember name) that is like a foundation for legs, it is called stocking effect or something like that. It is great for covering blue bits and for evening out the colour. Just apply with a damp sponge as you would foundation.

Tippy22 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:51:23

I'd be interested to hear what your doctor says Katy as I have a similar problem. My doctor was very dismissive and just said it was an age thing.

Sheilasue Mon 17-Apr-17 14:22:51

I have a lot of thread veins on my legs, so in the summer I wear long cotton trousers or long skirts, ok in the winter if you wear a shorter because I wear black tights.

I used a cream sun tan lotion, but only put it on lightly otherwise my legs go orange.
Oh for the young days when I could wear shorts and a swimming costume.

Rosina Mon 17-Apr-17 13:07:14

I've had prominent veins on my hands for as long as I can remember; in school assembly once the girl next to me pointed to my hands and went 'Urgh - look at those' as we were supposed to be praying! I suppose nothing can be done about them - a bit late now too - so I just keep my nails nice and rub in hand cream.

Nanna58 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:43:39

Last thing before going out smooth a bit of facial primer, Nivea do a good cheap one on the backs of your hands, and choose brighter rather than paler polish on nails. Read this in a mag and do it and it really helps.

Grannynise Mon 17-Apr-17 11:40:26

I'm a fan of Dove too. But don't have a long hot bath and then dry off on a white towel - the colour still comes off days afterwards!

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 11:08:06

I seem to be losing fat from the backs of my hands (the only place where it is disappearing sad) and the skin seems much more wrinkly.

I may try the gradual tinting moisturiser as I don't think it has that odd scent that tanning lotions seem to have.

Elrel Mon 17-Apr-17 10:33:35

One DGC is fascinated by the blue worms on my hands, they've been there at least since my 30s.
Going to get some Dove to cover the little thready veins in patches on one calf. Maybe I can do bare legs next time the sun shines! Thanks for Dove recommendations!

pollyperkins Mon 17-Apr-17 10:25:31

6 yr old grandson over Easter lunch: Grandma what are those blue lines on your hands?

meandashy Mon 17-Apr-17 10:11:52

I use dove tinted moisturiser. It's great to cover thread veins I have on my legs. It's a gradual build up and leaves my skin lovely and soft without streaks. But definitely wash your hands straight after ?

EmilyHarburn Mon 17-Apr-17 09:50:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.