Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Property inheritance

(81 Posts)
Rexdog12 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:16:09

Hi all, a bit of a legal and ethical question here.
Shortened version ("still a bit long, sorry)
My husbands mother ( age 92) has survived her husband by 30 years. There are 3 sons , now all in 50s/60's themselves. The family house was originally in the name of their father. This was not changed for 20 years. The mother originally had a will that the 3 sons would inherit equally. My husband and his youngest brother just found out that, 10 years ago,the middle brother got their mum to sign the deeds of the house over to him. We don't know why. He never consulted or told his brothers about his actions. Their mum now has dementia and is too old and frail now for us to discuss it with her. The middle son has also mysteriously now got the will under lock and key and won't show his brothers. We don't know for sure but suspect that was changed too, given he is not willing to show us a copy. Middle brother refuses to discuss it and my question is, what, if anything is to be done now? We don't think the house was sold as such to him, just that when he took his mum to ostensibly get the deeds changed from their dad to their mum, he simply had them signed over to himself. Does this mean the two other brothers have to accept this?

pamdixon Tue 18-Apr-17 11:38:38

defo get legal advice right now I'd say - worth paying lawyers fees just to put your mind at rest as to what the legal position is, otherwise you are going to be worrying about this till mil dies.

allule Tue 18-Apr-17 11:33:12

If you go to landregistry.gov.uk you can get a copy of the register for £3....cheap and simple way to start

Lewlew Tue 18-Apr-17 11:29:04

My BIL had his mum share ownership of the house via a deed after his father died almost 20 years ago, so it's 50/50. He's the only child.

So perhaps middle-son does NOT own the house outright, perhaps she only put him on the deed, OR maybe this did not happen at all and that is why he is keeping the will close to his chest... perhaps it would pay to get the Land Registry deed info.

Please be aware there are money-grabbing services out there who use web addresses that look legit.

BE SURE to use only YOUR COUNCIL's official website for this. It should only cost a few quid, not £30 as some of the ripoff's try to do.

radicalnan Tue 18-Apr-17 11:13:47

So many imponderables here. I have in the past looked at Land registry which states who owns a property and if it has mortgage etc £3 online and instant. That doesn't help with will but might give an idea of what has been done and when with regard to ownership.

I would urge legal advice and maybe see if there is a power of attorney because if you feel that MIL wishes were not being adhered to, the public guardians office may be able to advise.
During her lifetime her money must be used for her welfare.

Wills are a nightmare and issues can be very costly to resolve, I am sorry that you have this worry. It does seem unfair that 2 sons who have been so good to MIL are concerned that they may be disinherited but they have done their best for her out of love and that often bring other rewards.

Harris27 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:09:43

I really feel for you here I have three sons and would hate to be in this position get some legal advice even if it's just an hour to see where you stand . The youngest son must feel very unloved by this action.

M0nica Tue 18-Apr-17 09:19:42

Get legal advice first and foremost.

I think the other thing that causes such unhappiness, is not the loss of the money, although this can be considerable if you were hoping for it to ease your retirement years, but the underlying belief that most of us have that our parents love all their children equally. Once the assets of the family, the tangible remains of the family whose parents have died, are spread less than equally between the children, especially when there seems to be nor rhyme or reason for it there is this instinctive feeling that for some reason one's parents had favourites and this can be very difficult to deal with.

Starlady Tue 18-Apr-17 03:00:27

Blimey, looks like the rules about transferring property are trickier than I thought! But if mum isn't paying rent to mb, he probably won't get as much out of the house as he thought her would if mum goes into nursing care.

Of course, if yb continues to take care of her, she might not go into care for very long and mb will benefit to the maximum later on. In a sense, yb is working for mb. He may want to think that over.

Does mb have poa over his mum's affairs? If not, then I don't think he can keep hold of the will. No one has the right to see it till your mil is dead, as a pp pointed out - sorry - except for the attorney and maybe, the poa. But unless that's mb, he has no right to have it either. Are you sure he does? Is it possible the lawyer has it?

But dh and yb may want to seek out more professional legal advice. It certainly can't hurt, imo. Nothing can be done while the lady is alive and the will, therefore, is not in effect. Well, nothing unless she were to change her will again. But, as you point out, she can't due to dementia. Legal advice would just be to give dh and yb the lay of the land and prepare them for what they may need to do when the sad day comes that the will matters.

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 18:43:12

Although as the OP says, the estate's not likely to attract IHT anyway.

Rigby46 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:35:39

Well the IHT 7 years doesn't apply either if you carry on living in the house snd aren't a proper tenant

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Apr-17 18:30:17

what Luckygirl said is the case as far as I am aware- it doesn't have a time limit, unlike inheritance tax.

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:31:13

Well if that's the case I hope the value of the house is taken into account for costs when the OP's MIL has to go into care so that at least the middle brother doesn't inherit the lot!

aggie Mon 17-Apr-17 17:25:54

Oh dear ! please forgive my crass and thoughtless post , please accept my abject apology ,

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:23:36

By contrast, if you sign over your house but remain living in the property, this would then be treated as a “gift with reservation of benefit.” This means you reserve the right to benefit from the property.

According to tax rules, the house will then remain part of your estate on your death, even if you live beyond seven years.

One way to get around this is by paying rent to your children. But you will have to pay market rent (the going rate for similar local rental properties) to take it out of the IHT net.

You also need to bear in mind that your children will then be liable for income tax on the rent you pay them.

As a parent, you need to tread carefully before passing your property on to your offspring as the council could view this as “deliberate deprivation of assets” to avoid residential care home fees.

Put simply, transferring property to your children in this way may be seen as an attempt to conceal property wealth to avoid paying for care.

If this is deemed to be the case, the local authority can reverse the transfer of ownership. This means the home is switched back to the parents, and will be included in the test for funding.

www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/personal-finance/giving/what-you-need-to-know-about-signing-property-over-to-your-children

Rigby46 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:21:00

It just shows doesn't it what a minefield all this is. Some will 'get way with it', others will not. If only we had a government of any colour that would grasp this nettle. I'm not making a party political point - I think it's a disgrace that none of them have dealt with this over the years - we need a cross party agreement so that there is no political advantage or disadvantage in whatever scheme could be devised.

Welshwife Mon 17-Apr-17 17:17:07

A.so now to be renting out a property the 'landlord' has to do some sort of exams- it has been the case in Wales for a little while and just coming into England - DGD wars for an estate agent and has the qualification needed.

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:15:47

I thought the 7 year rule applied for SS care costs as well, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, Jalima, didn't see your post about rent until I'd posted mine!

Rigby46 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:14:32

Well Jalima that would be interesting!! It would have to be a market rent with all the proper tenancy agreements etc - crumbs that would go down well with the family - he gets the house and the rent!!

Welshwife Mon 17-Apr-17 17:14:18

I am sure the youngest brother would be happier if he thought that you and DH were fully behind him - what will he do when his mother no longer needs him? It may well not be easy for him to find himself a job after a number of years out of the workforce. It will have also affected his pension payments. I still think it needs to be looked into now - for the sake of your MIL and young BIL.

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:40

Yes, she should have been paying rent to the middle son.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:12:42

Upset and anger apart, I would be fighting as a matter of principle, especially on behalf of the youngest brother.

Rigby46 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:12:18

Ana I thought the 7 years was for IHT purposes and as I think I said earlier, it wouldn't work for IHT anyway as she's carrying on living there. I think for ss there never was a fixed rule but I'm not 100% sure - I think their rules are about intent.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:11:53

Has she been paying rent to her son over the ten years?

Rigby46 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:09:54

I agree LD - especially as she has carried on living in the house. I'd love the OP to come back snd update us when it's all sorted - my view is that as more and more people go into care and more and more of them have houses and as las have less and less money, they will get tougher and tougher on this deprivation of assets rule. Did anyone hear Money Box on this subject on Saturday? Also, the government has delayed yet again the increase in the amount you can have in savings before you are liable for care costs. The direction of travel is clear, whatever we think about it. I know what I think!

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:08:23

Really? That was a bit sneaky...I thought it was law.

Luckygirl Mon 17-Apr-17 16:59:15

The 7 year rule is no longer written in stone. As long as SSD have reason to think the assets were shifted to avoid care home fees they can use the courts to put a legal charge on it regardless of the time that has passed.