Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Property inheritance

(80 Posts)
Norah Mon 17-Apr-17 13:37:46

I think proving what happened 10 years ago would be hard. I'd advise dh to let it go.

Jayanna9040 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:35:42

A Will is private until after the death. Nobody has he tight to see it.

Jayanna9040 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:34:15

Afraid so, if she was still of sound mind at the time, the house was hers to do with as she liked. You could initiate a legal case citing coercion but that would be pretty hard to prove.
If your BIL is the only one with a copy of the will there is not much you can do until the death. Then you could contest it. It will be a risky and expensive process though.
Tax should have been paid on transfer of the asset. You could check this and report him if not.

Luckygirl Mon 17-Apr-17 13:32:42

I do think you should take legal advice over this. If middle son has cajoled mum into leaving everything to him, then the will can be contested on several grounds, but it is costly and messy. Advice now could save a great deal of grief in the long run.

I think you will find that, unless middle son has sole Power of Attorney, he cannot keep the will from other family members. He sounds a real charmer.

Rexdog12 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:16:09

Hi all, a bit of a legal and ethical question here.
Shortened version ("still a bit long, sorry)
My husbands mother ( age 92) has survived her husband by 30 years. There are 3 sons , now all in 50s/60's themselves. The family house was originally in the name of their father. This was not changed for 20 years. The mother originally had a will that the 3 sons would inherit equally. My husband and his youngest brother just found out that, 10 years ago,the middle brother got their mum to sign the deeds of the house over to him. We don't know why. He never consulted or told his brothers about his actions. Their mum now has dementia and is too old and frail now for us to discuss it with her. The middle son has also mysteriously now got the will under lock and key and won't show his brothers. We don't know for sure but suspect that was changed too, given he is not willing to show us a copy. Middle brother refuses to discuss it and my question is, what, if anything is to be done now? We don't think the house was sold as such to him, just that when he took his mum to ostensibly get the deeds changed from their dad to their mum, he simply had them signed over to himself. Does this mean the two other brothers have to accept this?