Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Physical activity

(42 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 22-Apr-17 08:26:35

I'm heading out soon for a 2-hour walk with my best friend - she's been away and I've been a bit of a lazy goose!

Anyone planning to exert themselves today, apart from mooching around the kitchen? smile

Snowedunder Sun 23-Apr-17 10:21:36

When I retired recently I joined a small local walking group but they only stroll. However, I enjoy being up and out early and getting fresh air and having the rest of the day to attend to other commitments. I'm fit enough to walk for a few hours at a time but would need to stop to go to the toilet. How do others get around this situation?

Teetime Sun 23-Apr-17 10:23:48

Only a walk into town for me today to the Italian Market probably to buy some nice food and have a coffee/drink. No golf today the course is too busy!!

Nelliemaggs Sun 23-Apr-17 11:27:50

Just back from a swim. Now for the garden as it's not too cold and there is a cold spell coming up this week. I've neglected the house in favour of the vegetable garden; just can't bear to be indoors when the weather is good. My little grandson is the same and at my side 'helping' whether I need help or not wink

Caramac Sun 23-Apr-17 13:14:20

Did a 25minute 8kg kettlebell workout this morning which I do most days - different ones on YouTube. Feeling cross with myself as have failed to run much since a nasty virus over a year ago . I just keep finding excuses as it's so hard to start from scratch again.
I've had DGC 5 days this week, washing and ironing today but ready for a nap now grin

Caramac Sun 23-Apr-17 13:15:31

Oh and I start my new job tomorrow. Term time so I can help with holiday care of DGC

clementine Sun 23-Apr-17 14:22:13

Snowedunder, a very valid point and one which actually puts me off walking long distances unless I am confident there are " facilities" I have an underlying medical condition and need to know I can access toilets in a hurry. It makes getting outside a bit more problematic.

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 14:41:58

Some of the more energetic GNetters may not have posted today because they are too busy running the London marathon.

I thought about it but as I am old, overweight, unfit and too busy doing other things, I decided against it.

Greyduster Sun 23-Apr-17 14:56:14

I am sitting with my leg up at the moment, having gone out to walk locally to the country park and back and ending up with an excruciating pain in my calf just under half way round. It was a choice of turn round or push on, and I am a glutton for punishment. Sometimes you can walk these things off. No idea what it is. sad

shysal Sun 23-Apr-17 15:00:26

I hope the pain doesn't last for long Greyduster. Maybe some stretches would help, they are good for most injuries. Otherwise you may seize up tomorrow.flowers

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:38:15

I'm a heck of a lazy goose. I went round the supermarket this morning (Sunday) and unpacked. I did a little ironing first thing, I've sprayed the roses (blasted greenfly), and given my little car a bit of a wipe over with a damp cloth. That's it. That's enough exertion for one day.

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 15:48:50

I went for a lovely 2 hour walk this morning. Bluebells and wild garlic were fab!

Caramac Sun 23-Apr-17 17:27:39

*Greyduster
It sounds like calf strain and is very painful. Rest, ice, Compression and elevation. I finally had a sports massage on my legs to sort out calf strain. By heck it hurt and I've a bruised sore spot where the original strain occurred. However it seems much better. Hope yours clears up very soon.

David1968 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:32:44

DH & I have cleared out a room in readiness for decorators tomorrow. Now we've stuff all over the house and yet another box ready for the charity shop. This is an ongoing major sort out, clearout and decorate, as we contemplate downsizing. (We just couldn't face/do the decorating ourselves and luckily have two great local professional decorators coming in). I can't stress enough how great it is to de-clutter - and it must be terrific exercise as I'm feeling shattered. Must close here and take down the vertical blinds....

Izabella Sun 23-Apr-17 20:46:38

Yesterday cycled to the gym, did an 8k run and some weights, cycled home. Tomorrow the pool. Today was a lazy hedonistic day at Harrogate Spring Flower show under blue skies. Wonderful.

eilys Sun 23-Apr-17 21:31:21

Swimming 3 times a week with dd hope she soon gets tired of it going along under pressure

mumofmadboys Sun 23-Apr-17 21:48:00

Climbed Skiddaw yesterday with DH. It is over 3000 ft so quite a climb. We were both tired last night. What lovely weather this weekend!