Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mattress matters.

(17 Posts)
morethan2 Mon 24-Apr-17 16:06:48

A bit of advice about mattresses. I wondered if anyone had tried the new mattresses being advertised? I think one called is simba and the other eve? I have just bought a new mattress from JL for our bedroom. I'm very pleased with it but it was very expensive. I'd like another for the spare bedroom but am looking for somthing a bit less expensive. I'd want comfort because I intend to use it myself on the odd night when the snoring or my insomnia become too much to bear.

Granof11 Mon 24-Apr-17 16:43:57

Morethan: Buy a moderately priced one and add a 3" deep memory foam topper. I did that seven years ago and it's still great despite being slept on almost daily since then. The topper has it's own zipp on cover which can be removed and laundered as often as you like.

Greyduster Mon 24-Apr-17 16:59:25

The only mattress advice I would give to anyone is don't buy anything with the name Sealy on it!!

shysal Mon 24-Apr-17 17:21:31

I think there is only one style of Eve mattress, the price varies a lot, so worth shopping around. Here is a review:
sleepopolis.co.uk/mattress-reviews/eve-mattress-review/
Simba is also reviewed on the same site.
Good luck with your choice.

shysal Mon 24-Apr-17 17:25:11

N.B. The comparison of the two on above site comes out a draw.

grannylyn65 Mon 24-Apr-17 17:43:46

Agree with mattress topper

morethan2 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:37:34

Thanks everybody. I'll have a think about it.The link was very useful shysal I appreciate you taking the time

rosesarered Mon 24-Apr-17 20:37:09

Also agree with mattress topper......wonderful things!

grannypiper Mon 24-Apr-17 20:53:38

morethan2 5 years ago DH and bought a Silentnight 7 zone mattress and it is still like new. It is the most comfortable mattress we have ever had and considering i have a bad back and DH has has a Hip replacement that is saying something

johncotley Wed 30-Jan-19 00:47:41

It is fairly difficult to differentiate the mattresses in a box in the UK but what helped me a lot was a mattress review website called The Mattress Guide www.themattressguide.co.uk/mattress-reviews/

Hope this helps

Izabella Wed 30-Jan-19 09:39:57

We got a J.L. own brand with interior springs. Bliss. So much cooler than memory foam and so very comfortable

Saxifrage Wed 30-Jan-19 11:05:01

Ikea have a memory phone mattress for under £200. It is a Which? Best Buy. I bought one a couple of years ago and am still very happy with it.

Galen Wed 30-Jan-19 11:55:00

What happens when it rings?

showergelfresh Wed 30-Jan-19 12:23:25

I bought a new mattress last year from Next and it is brilliant.
They do firm medium and soft and I bought the firm.
Simple and easy.
Other shops have so many complicated mattresses and hundreds of different types.
Nip into Next home and have a lie down! You won't regret it.
The price is right there in the middle and my mattress
is very good quality.

Izabella Fri 01-Feb-19 14:24:44

Galen grin

Tartlet Fri 01-Feb-19 14:44:18

I bought a Simba mattress last year and am very happy with it. Subsequently, and after testing mine, my daughter and two friends also bought one. I’m planning to buy another when I get round to replacing other mattresses.

It was the 100 day free trial which decided me to try Simba. They’ll also take your old mattress away free. The delivery men were wonderful and unpacked the mattress and put it on the bed for me and also moved my old mattress into the spare room (I wanted to hang on to it in case I quickly discovered I didn’t like the new one). About a week later I was sure I wasn’t going to be returning the new mattress so rang and asked whether there was any chance of them collecting it if they were in the vicinity. And they did! Impeccable customer service.

At the moment I see that they’re offering a free mattress protector but I didn’t like mine much because it stretched where I lie and wouldn’t lie flat so I no longer use it. If I was buying now, I’d do it over the phone and ask nicely whether they’d discount the price instead of having the protector. I think they probably would.

manjusha999 Thu 22-Oct-20 11:45:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.