Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Announcement from Buckingham Palace?

(154 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 04-May-17 07:35:42

Two friends in the US have separately sent emails to ask what's going on .... I have no idea!

There's nothing on the BBC website but Nick Robinson made an oblique reference to it a few minutes ago - I assume it's Fake News?

NanaandGrampy Thu 04-May-17 09:25:12

Well I'm moving to Norfolk....so of course I can see why Her Maj might want to join me :-)

Faye Thu 04-May-17 09:26:06

From what I heard, while most of you were sleeping, there was no announcement just the media setting up outside of Buckingham Palace. Apparently they were waiting for an announcement.

annsixty Thu 04-May-17 09:26:53

Just about to post that myself N&G She would be a good neighbour for you.

merlotgran Thu 04-May-17 09:34:46

How intriguing....

I read online it might be to do with the Buck House refurb but would she call her senior staff in from all over the country just to discuss curtain swatches?

gillybob Thu 04-May-17 09:43:30

According to BBC news the staff have been summoned to Buck House.

Times are probably hard for Queenie and her ever extending list of extras.

She might be going to have to make some redundancies. Or ask them to take a wage cut.

Anya Thu 04-May-17 09:43:53

Think AB might be right.

Elegran Thu 04-May-17 09:51:19

Apparently this kind of meeting takes place once a year. May not be anything earth-shattering at all, just a kind of AGM.

Anniebach Thu 04-May-17 10:06:30

Phil is to retire come Autumn

MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 10:09:59

Squib? Damp? Staff pep talk? Redundancies?
Whatever it is , are they telling us?

MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 10:11:07

Sorry Anniebach!! Put it down to my slow reactions smile

DanniRae Thu 04-May-17 10:13:23

Just read that Prince Phillip is to retire in the Autumn. Good for Him - I think he should retire straight away and enjoy his final years in relaxing and doing just what he wants to!

Bellanonna Thu 04-May-17 10:14:56

At 96 I don't blame him!

Riverwalk Thu 04-May-17 10:16:09

Is that it? grin

merlotgran Thu 04-May-17 10:17:43

I would imagine his retirement will begin as soon as they decamp to Balmoral.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 04-May-17 10:20:43

Was hoping it would be something a little more exciting, but good on him, he's done his fair share of exotic tours, scrummy dinners etc grin

GracesGranMK2 Thu 04-May-17 10:21:16

I think it is a bit more of the smooth handover they have been working towards so the younger generation become better and better known, and who would begrudge him a bit of relaxation. He is still their for the Queen - his most important job.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 04-May-17 10:21:31

there!!!

MawBroon Thu 04-May-17 10:23:06

Shock horror!!
96 year old to retire!
I know the government keeps raising the pension age, but this is ridiculous.
Seriously, did it need an announcement? Could he not just have scaled back, or passed the baton to Charles or William.
Is there more to it?

gillybob Thu 04-May-17 10:24:10

Just read that Prince Phillip is to retire in the Autumn. Good for Him - I think he should retire straight away and enjoy his final years in relaxing and doing just what he wants to

I really can't imagine that he would do anything other than "what he wants to" DanniRae.

Enthralling news. "Rich old man who has barely worked a day in his life and lived in the lap of luxury courtesy of the UK tax payers, retires" Hold the front page.

Riverwalk Thu 04-May-17 10:25:45

It's interesting that the overnight speculation, around the world, was right and there was an announcement .... just not really worth 'announcing' IMO, hardly world-shattering!

GracesGranMK2 Thu 04-May-17 10:31:37

I think they will have felt an announcement worthwhile to stop any rumours as he ceased to do what he had been doing. It has probably been more in the news than on other days as they are being careful not to force-feed us internal politics. They have set themselves 24 hours they have to fill with 'news'.

Faye Thu 04-May-17 10:32:44

Is that all, really, many people will be glad they didn't hold there breath. hmm

merlotgran Thu 04-May-17 10:32:56

It's a good way for the Queen to carry on cutting back her duties without too much fuss or speculation. Future Royal events requiring a couple will be taken on by Charles and Camilla and William is moving back to KP.

Sorted!

paddyann Thu 04-May-17 10:47:26

time they all retired ....

gillybob Thu 04-May-17 11:02:08

What exactly has he "retired" from though?