Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Announcement from Buckingham Palace?

(154 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 04-May-17 07:35:42

Two friends in the US have separately sent emails to ask what's going on .... I have no idea!

There's nothing on the BBC website but Nick Robinson made an oblique reference to it a few minutes ago - I assume it's Fake News?

gettingonabit Mon 08-May-17 09:19:47

Agree you can't accuse Queenie of trying to "hitch her wagon" (love that expression)grin.

The RF DO make it up as they go along, imho. They changed their name to Windsor to sound English in an attempt to disassociate themselves from their German heritage at a very sensitive time, and to reinvent themselves in a new, appealing image. They are clever in a cunning sort of way. They know they are ordinary, and terrified of being "found out".

The Investiture of Prince Charles was an invention to make Charles look somehow Welsh; he was sent to Aberystwyth to learn Welsh. It didn't work as the Welsh are not so dull as ro be taken in by it.

Remember the debacle of It's a Royal Knockout? An attempt by the Royals to look "ordinary"? A spectacular backfire.

Trouble is, attempts to look "just like us" are bound to fail - the mask of Royalty slips and what are we left with? A bunch of very ordinary people, not clever, not even good looking or talented, and maybe not particularly nice either.

Queenie is canny enough to realise this. Aloof works better.

merlotgran Mon 08-May-17 20:51:41

The Investiture of Prince Charles was an invention to make Charles look somehow Welsh;

How can it be an invention when the investiture of Charles' great uncle, Edward VIII took place in 1911?

stillaliveandkicking Mon 08-May-17 21:16:11

Royals are actually human too smile I personally couldn't give a monkeys who gets what job. I love having a Royal family, its a fundamental part of our heritage. Let me think about an alternative, oh yes a "president" or a "dictatorship".