Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did you vote today?

(41 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 05-May-17 16:24:17

I live in London so no elections here.

From what I can see, turnout for Mayoral/Council elections in the rest of the country is around 35%.

What is going on ... why don't people get off their arse and go out and vote?

Eloethan Sun 07-May-17 20:04:18

I think, in the absence of a None of the Above box (which I too think should be an option), those who feel very strongly that they can't vote for any of the candidates should turn up and spoil their ballot paper. That sends out a message too.

Willow500 Sun 07-May-17 19:54:23

Yes we did - local mayor was re-elected but have no idea what the rest of the results were. It's always been a labour council here and don't think that will have changed. It was past 8pm when we got there (polling station is literally at the top of the street) and no one else was there so turn out probably wasn't that great.

Pittcity Sun 07-May-17 11:55:55

I believe they have a "None of the Above" box on Australian voting slips.

KatyK Sun 07-May-17 08:54:46

We voted. We always do, even though sometimes I have no clue who to vote for. smile

NfkDumpling Sun 07-May-17 07:58:41

My Nana was a suffragist and I just can't not vote! I used to help with the count and it really lightened the mood when ballot papers were spoilt with remarks or drawings from people who wanted 'None of the Above'!

It's compulsory in Australia isn't it? They must get a lot more spoilt papers.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 06-May-17 18:25:55

It's totally up to an individual if they vote or not :/

Deeana1 Sat 06-May-17 11:53:59

Both my husband and I voted. Small semi rural town north of London. Turn out was 37.73% town remains Conservative

Nandalot Sat 06-May-17 10:26:30

Yes, we voted. Apparently turn out in our local ward was the highest/one of the highest at 36%! Perhaps there is a point to making voting compulsory as in Australia. perhaps turnout would be better if you had to vote if your were on the electoral roll and no passports or benefits issued if you a.te not on the electoral roll. It would not be popular!

TerriBull Sat 06-May-17 10:03:18

No because I live on the edge of London, but I would have done if I lived in an area where I would have been eligible to vote. I agree with the OP, get off your arses, otherwise you can't complain if the result isn't the one you wished for. I've tried to imbue my children with the importance of casting their votes and how people in other parts of the world would die, and have, even in this country, for that privilege. I feel lately older people are almost castigated for turning out in greater numbers than say a younger generation. But what's stopping them, other than CBA, after all it's hardly an onerous task.

daffydil Sat 06-May-17 09:34:06

Women died for women's suffrage so the least we can do is turn out even if you don't know who to vote for in which case write 'none of the above'' on the ballot paper.

Teetime Sat 06-May-17 09:33:45

We certainly did vote but its always a landslide Conservative vote here so no change and I cant see that there ever will be- it wouldn't put us of voting though even though we are on the losing side.

MawBroon Sat 06-May-17 09:27:56

No Election in our rural area, but I was pleased to see that Andy Street was successful in the West Midlands Metro Mayoral vote. I have always felt it would be no bad thingt if the country were run on the same lines as the John Lewis Partnership.
Now another businessman I would like to see having a say in our lives is John Timpson.

Pittcity Sat 06-May-17 09:20:38

The man who does the most around here was voted in as a Labour County Councillor after getting a seat on the town council last year. He has taken over from the aging LibDems. I think youth and enthusiasm won over party politics here.

mcem Sat 06-May-17 09:18:17

Surely it was on your polling card which was delivered some time ago. Very easy to check.

Tizliz Sat 06-May-17 09:15:09

Out of the 9 candidates in my area I got 1 manifest/leaflet. He got my first vote for effort. It is so pathetic here that I was not sure what ward I am in - on the border of two.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-May-17 08:54:14

Of course ! Can't complain if you don't use your vote ;-)

Anya Sat 06-May-17 08:39:52

Looked it up for myself.

"A Tory councillor has won a seat in Ferguslie Park.

John McIntyre has been voted in for the Paisley Northwest ward with 657 votes.

It’s believed to be the first time ever a Conservative has been voted in for the area - the most deprived community in Scotland."

Anya Sat 06-May-17 07:57:53

What is the most deprived area in Scotland these days GP?

grannypiper Sat 06-May-17 07:53:53

I always vote and laughed my backside off when the Tories here in Scotland landed the most deprived area in Scotland, it made my day.

NfkDumpling Sat 06-May-17 07:01:30

I don't vote along party lines locally as there's little relevance, but it does seem generally that Lib Dems are very good at representing everyone and getting things done at local level.

I would really love it if we could have STV in England. It seems much fairer even if it takes a little longer to count the votes.

mcem Fri 05-May-17 23:06:30

Yes and ok with the outcome. STV meant 9 candidates in order of preference.
My first vote went to the hard-working Libdem who has deservedly held the seat for years.
Votes 2 and 3 went to SNP who lost a couple of seats but remain the biggest party.
Vote 4 was for the Green who got nowhere.

I did not vote for independent or tory candidates.
So 1 libdem 2 SNP and a Tory returned for this ward.

I believe STV gives a pretty fair result.

Nana3 Fri 05-May-17 22:28:27

Yes I did, so did OH. He's not British, he gets a vote in local but not general elections.

Pittcity Fri 05-May-17 22:15:18

We have postal votes and always use them.
You can't complain if you didn't vote!

phoenix Fri 05-May-17 22:03:22

Ummm, sort of.blush

Greyduster Fri 05-May-17 21:56:48

No elections here today. Mayoral elections have been postponed until next year too.