Did you vote today?

Riverwalk Fri 05-May-17 16:24:17

I live in London so no elections here.

From what I can see, turnout for Mayoral/Council elections in the rest of the country is around 35%.

What is going on ... why don't people get off their arse and go out and vote?

Riverwalk Fri 05-May-17 16:25:24

Meant vote yesterday!

ninathenana Fri 05-May-17 16:26:11

No but I did yesterday smile

Our area remains Conservative

Ana Fri 05-May-17 16:29:05

I have a postal vote and used it.

Alima Fri 05-May-17 16:30:22

I voted yesterday in the local election as did DH and DD2. The turnout in this district was 33%, hope more manage to stagger to the polling stations for the biggy next month.

Mapleleaf Fri 05-May-17 16:38:24

I voted. Votes for women were hard won. We need use our vote. People can't really complain about the outcomes of elections if they don't vote!

Peep Fri 05-May-17 16:39:13

No I didn't. For the first time ever (42yrs) she who marches family round to the polling station just couldn't do it. So fed up with everything political at the moment!

Riverwalk Fri 05-May-17 16:41:51

It seems such a low turn-out, particularly as we're in the middle of a General Election .... regardless of one's usual allegiance.

I do wonder why people are so apathetic.

Those who don't usually vote have surely seen how their vote was so effective in the Referendum?

kittylester Fri 05-May-17 16:45:35

I did, DS x2 did, DD X3 did. So we needn't have bothered as we were 3 for each of the main parties. DH didn't for the first time since I've known him.

He will vote at the GE!

Peep Fri 05-May-17 16:51:43

No apathy here. My problem was the candidate I normally vote for is also leader of the county council and I don't like what he wants to happen with the district councils in Oxfordshire. No election bumph from anybody else, they appear to be the apathetic ones.

NfkDumpling Fri 05-May-17 17:04:59

Postal voted. Not that it makes much difference. Our local councillor is very good and active and popular and just happens to be under the Liberal banner (but party policies have little relevance). He always gets returned with a large majority.

Cherrytree59 Fri 05-May-17 17:11:35

Yes we did postal votes.
Would be interested to know
postal votes v polling stations turn out numbers.

Ilovecheese Fri 05-May-17 17:58:52

Cherrytree We live closer to the polling station than to the pillar box!

Tallulah57 Fri 05-May-17 18:17:13

Yes I did and have never missed a vote ever.

PoshGran Fri 05-May-17 18:34:18

Did my "bit".
Read leaflet listing Mayoral candidates, watched 10 minutes of candidates debate on TV before nodding off, looked at additional info received from candidates that had bothered/could afford to deliver leaflets (2 of 7).
Thrilling. hmm

Greyduster Fri 05-May-17 21:56:48

No elections here today. Mayoral elections have been postponed until next year too.

phoenix Fri 05-May-17 22:03:22

Ummm, sort of.blush

Pittcity Fri 05-May-17 22:15:18

We have postal votes and always use them.
You can't complain if you didn't vote!

Nana3 Fri 05-May-17 22:28:27

Yes I did, so did OH. He's not British, he gets a vote in local but not general elections.

mcem Fri 05-May-17 23:06:30

Yes and ok with the outcome. STV meant 9 candidates in order of preference.
My first vote went to the hard-working Libdem who has deservedly held the seat for years.
Votes 2 and 3 went to SNP who lost a couple of seats but remain the biggest party.
Vote 4 was for the Green who got nowhere.

I did not vote for independent or tory candidates.
So 1 libdem 2 SNP and a Tory returned for this ward.

I believe STV gives a pretty fair result.

NfkDumpling Sat 06-May-17 07:01:30

I don't vote along party lines locally as there's little relevance, but it does seem generally that Lib Dems are very good at representing everyone and getting things done at local level.

I would really love it if we could have STV in England. It seems much fairer even if it takes a little longer to count the votes.

grannypiper Sat 06-May-17 07:53:53

I always vote and laughed my backside off when the Tories here in Scotland landed the most deprived area in Scotland, it made my day.

Anya Sat 06-May-17 07:57:53

What is the most deprived area in Scotland these days GP?

Anya Sat 06-May-17 08:39:52

Looked it up for myself.

"A Tory councillor has won a seat in Ferguslie Park.

John McIntyre has been voted in for the Paisley Northwest ward with 657 votes.

It’s believed to be the first time ever a Conservative has been voted in for the area - the most deprived community in Scotland."

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-May-17 08:54:14

Of course ! Can't complain if you don't use your vote ;-)