Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ambulances - Getting out of their way

(29 Posts)
Ana Tue 09-May-17 14:23:59

I just pull over as best I can, but would never mount a kerb or use a bus lane - as Charleygirl says, the Ambulance driver will be well used to weaving his/her way through traffic safely.

TerriBull Tue 09-May-17 14:14:46

Charleygirl, interesting you sound like my husband. We have so many, it's almost inevitable when entering the one way system that somewhere along the line there will be one trying to weave a passage along, and yes I have seen drivers jump a red light to let one through.

Charleygirl Tue 09-May-17 14:03:39

I stop where I can safely, indicating that I have stopped and let the ambulance or police car fly past. I would never mount the pavement or enter a bus lane as both are illegal. This happens to me a lot because I live not far from a police station and there is one of those "forbidden" bus lanes outside it- others have entered that lane, I never would and I also would never jump through a red traffic light. It is up to the ambulance or police to do the illegal manoevres, (sp) not me.

TerriBull Tue 09-May-17 13:55:45

So....I live on the edge of a large town, on the edge of London which has a large hospital. Hence we have a lot of ambulances tearing along with sirens going. I admit to being a bit jittery as far as getting out of their way. Yesterday I was coming back from babysitting the other side of town descending a hill when one came up right behind me, so I mounted the pavement, as others in front of me did, I didn't do it very well steep kirb and scraped my tyers a little bit. I was relating this to husband, he said "well mounting the kirb is illegal", "yes I know" says I "but needs must and anyway there weren't any pedestrians on the pavement so I didn't kill anyone" he's always telling me not to panic as ambulance drivers are experienced and used to sorting out a clear passage, in my mind I'm thinking, "this could be life and death, every second counts". What is the correct protocol in these situations, for example one woman I read about entered the "forbidden bus lane" and subsequently got a ticket, surely doing that would have been excusable in such circumstance. What do you do or what would you do?