Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Children and scooters

(70 Posts)
amt101 Wed 17-May-17 20:50:20

Hello all, I would like some opinions please.
I was on the way to pick up my granddaughter from school. On the way the path was narrow and two youngsters were scooting towards me. We couldn't all get by so said to them you should wait. With that the two mothers yelled they're only 5. I said you should be teaching them to be polite. I then got threatened with you should watch it. I carried on and got my granddaughter and we walked home. When my daughter got home from work I just started talking as normal and she said I've had a complaint about you and one of the women who obviously knew who I was had texted her to say something - but didn't mention the threat you should watch it.
My daughter sided with them and said I shouldn't tell other people's children off. I told her all I said was you should wait and the others shouted at me.
I ended up saying I'm not being spoken to by you like that and walking out. I still feel aggrieved that she sided with them.
What do people think?

Anya Thu 18-May-17 10:56:34

I always stand my ground and then they have to stop, or slow up and go round me. I've been doing this for years and no one has hit me yet (though there's always a first time).

At 5 years old (I know from experience of 4 scooter riding GC) they are more than capable of controlling these machines. So I think it's better than they learn to avoid people rather than us jumping out of their way. Tha way the onus is on them and in the unlikely event of me being hit, they are in the wrong.

I have more trouble with teenage boys riding at top speed along the pavements and coming up behind me with no warning, bells, etc.. Those I do shout at grin

quizqueen Thu 18-May-17 10:58:16

The mothers texted your daughter to complain about you like she was your keeper/owner or something. Ridiculous behaviour and very childish of them. They are teaching their children it is okay to ride on the pavement and ignore other pavement users as many older bike riders do and also that it okay to be disrespectful to other people. I would have said to the mothers, 'Pavements are for pedestrians i.e. walkers. People using wheels need to give way. Thank you'. I would not stand for my own daughter telling me off either.

Perhaps you could write to the Head Teacher and explain what happened and maybe ask if a note could be sent home asking if those riding bikes/scooters to come to school could be respectful of other pavement users.

Belinda49 Thu 18-May-17 10:58:27

I have young grandchildren and expect them to be considerate of others just as I tried to teach their mothers to be. I expect those 2 mothers were deep in conversation and weren't looking ahead. I agree with the others that as one of the mothers concerned knew your daughter's phone number there might be repercussions at school. It doesn't take much for the children to pick up on the parents vibes and start a bit of bullying.

JanaNana Thu 18-May-17 11:03:45

I think I your daughter is taking their side as she is probably aware of how these things seem to escalate nowadays and wants it nipped in the bud. Not saying she is right in having a go at you though. These things can blow up out of all proportion, mother's falling out at the school gates etc.Some childrens' parents take the moral high ground if you say anything about them.....being judged on their parenting skills I guess! I would let it blow over with your daughter, talk again when you both feel calmer. Sometimes you can,t put yourself mentally in a situation like this as it is a spontaneous reaction at the time and behave accordingly.

harrigran Thu 18-May-17 11:11:33

God help you if you complain about the little princes and princesses, teach them respect and care for other pedestrians and then people would not complain.
A few years ago I stepped down from a bus, mother occupied with a buggy and allowed the toddler to clamber down himself, child promptly ran towards the road and me sticking my arm and leg out to the side was all that stopped him from running into the traffic. Mother turned and grabbed the child from me and glared as if I was about to abduct him, no thank you at all.

ap123 Thu 18-May-17 11:21:25

If the children had stopped and they were little what was their crime? That they were scooting side by side? For that you told off the children in front of their mothers and then told off the mothers. Neither is OK. If the parents are present you talk to the parents. Nicely. With a smile and maybe a bit of a joke. If everybody had stopped a "Oh, dear they should really do something about this path. Mind if I pass through?" to the mothers would have defused the situation.
Now your daughter has to make apologies on your behalf and fears that the other two mothers would jump on the first occasion to tell her daughter off!

LouP Thu 18-May-17 11:30:37

I think you were quite right to check the children, AMT101. I have done this in the past when some children were about to barge through . I said "Wait a moment please" and they did , to let me through . This problem is the same as parents charging up to school to complain to the Head because their children have been disciplined in class. Whatever happened to the good manners we taught our children ? I am proud to say that my son and daughter have followed on the good manners they were taught to their own children. I check them too when they don't say please and thank you. Sorry if I sound old fashioned but I am a believer in good manners and courtesy and not entitlement .

FlorenceFlower Thu 18-May-17 12:00:21

I may have missed something here, but no matter what happened with the children, you then walked out on your daughter when she was discussing it with you?

It seems that everyone is being quite hasty over something that is quite minor.

These things can blow up but hopefully you can talk to your daughter about why you left so suddenly - she may in fact have changed her views if you had been able to tell her calmly what had happened, that you had been threatened.

Do hope that it all resolves amicably.

?

Kitspurr Thu 18-May-17 12:30:09

It's the mothers telling tales that gets me. Why did they feel the need to tell your DD and make an issue of it. The heightened sensitivity of people these days is just unbearable. Your DD should tell you not to worry about it and not make you feel like you've committed a crime.

Everthankful Thu 18-May-17 12:45:37

As children learn by example, the best course of action would have been to set an example to these young children(and their Mums) by allowing them to pass. I'm afraid it's going to get anyone's back up if they are critisised for their parenting techniques.

vampirequeen Thu 18-May-17 12:56:32

I don't know enough to comment on the rights and wrongs of the situation but I can't help thinking that the mother who texted your daughter to tell tales on you was being very childish.

It was an incident. It was over. But obviously she couldn't let it go.

Bbbface Thu 18-May-17 13:05:36

Oh they were 5. I would have let them scoot past.
I don't like the sound of the woman threatening you but to be perfectly honest, I'm sceptical about that.

luluaugust Thu 18-May-17 13:26:39

amt101 I think you have been caught out by modern life. Discipline ideas have changed (we know that from what teachers can do at school about bad behaviour) and ideas of politeness have also shifted people will instantly stand up for their children and not tell them they deserved a clip round the ear which might have happened when we were young. The lady who texted your daughter didn't have to see her face to face or speak to her on the phone. Make it up with your daughter as soon as possible and then forget about it I know why you are upset but its not worth falling out with your daughter about.

Lilyflower Thu 18-May-17 14:29:48

You were in the right and children should not be on the pavement with scooters. But good luck with trying to argue with the entitled generation!Your nlt consolation is in thinking of the misery they will suffer when their own children grow up and treat them as they have been taught to treat others.

gagsy Thu 18-May-17 14:45:22

Oh dear the state of things. Sadly apples don't fall far from trees! So many parents are rude that children have no chance to learn anything else. How would they know? Politeness helps the world go round like nothing else!

Bagatelle Thu 18-May-17 14:56:42

With regard to children and young mothers, manners are out of fashion these days. I do not agree with letting children do as they like but I appear to be in a minority.

My husband is disabled due to a stroke. When we travel on the underground it is heartening that people are generally considerate and give up seats for him, and it's usually a young adult that's up first. However, I notice that young mothers expect their children to have a seat each and they never help.

He is very vulnerable and won't go into a supermarket on his own because of small children running about. Like the OP, I have been told, "They're only children" when I have suggested that perhaps they could mind they don't knock someone over.

Sadly, I go home with the thought "nasty little brats" in my mind.

I don't give up, though.

willa45 Thu 18-May-17 15:03:32

Amt101....your post illustrates the stereotype of the newer helicopter generation. Now that these already entitled youngsters are becoming parents themselves, some tend to behave very rudely, particularly towards elders. Not surprised that the five year olds have no manners since the mothers don't have any either! You did nothing wrong and your daughter is sadly mistaken since she wasn't there and the texts are mere hearsay. Stick to your guns and no apologies needed. If you show them some gumption, maybe they'll learn some respect!

Caro1954 Thu 18-May-17 15:48:43

Lilyflower - where are five year olds supposed to "scoot"? On the road? Amt101 - these children have not been taught what to do when they meet someone on a narrow pavement but it would probably have been better to try to make them aware of it in a more good humoured way and not to have reprimanded their mothers! I would have stood my ground, like Anya, and then said something less antagonising. Someone mentioned the "playground mafia" and she's right, it's alive and well - among the mums! Make up with your daughter, she was probably sounding off in the heat of the moment and may well have been worried about what would be said to her next day in the playground. It's now blown up out of all proportion.

chrislou Thu 18-May-17 15:57:49

I completely agree with you AMT101, you were not in the wrong, it's a great pity the mothers didn't tell the children themselves to stop and let others get past. I think your daughter is afraid of the nastiness that can happen at the school gate but although you can both make up you do have a point of view

Bagatelle Thu 18-May-17 16:07:45

I suspect that some of these parents would be horrified if they knew how threatening their lack of care was. Obviously, small children can't be expected to think of that for themselves.

ajanela Thu 18-May-17 16:17:22

Amt you were late and the path was narrow and you can't walk very quickly. The 2 children could not pass you as your side was narrrower than where they were coming from. Am I right? So you needed to gentle give them some guidance. Like saying, you go back a bit then I can squeeze through so you can then go on. 5 year olds may not have realised the situation and what the solution was or understood your mobility problem and lateness let alone anything about politeness considering their mothers reaction.

As for the mothers awful behavior and threatening you with you should watch it. then texting your daughter. But better your daughter getting it direct even if it was a biased story than via a distorted story passed around the playground.

Make it up with your daughter, maybe she will want to explain the situation to the mothers or maybe not.

downsized Thu 18-May-17 16:23:21

shysal, yes! Very tempted indeed wink

TriciaF Thu 18-May-17 16:58:01

I think lulu and willa have 'nailed' it (as they say.)
Thank God I'm not trying to bring up my children now.

harrysgran Thu 18-May-17 17:36:19

Sadly today's parents take any sort of comments like this as a criticism to their little snowflakes I'm afraid to say I would have stood aside and let them pass no doubt the children will grow up as disrespectful as their mothers

queenofsaanich69 Thu 18-May-17 17:48:27

Well the Mums were obviously on their cell phones,ready at any second to text any real or imagined complaint your lucky you weren't on video------30 years from now there will be older ladies flying in every direction due to lack of manners.Take a deep breath and forget it and don't talk to strangers ?