Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

18th birthday present

(55 Posts)
Elrel Wed 31-May-17 01:10:55

Any ideas for DGS please? I want to give him an actual present as well as money. He is very excitedly anticipating his first vote as his birthday is in early June. He likes clothes as presents, loves music but but I've no idea which music. Very keen on the theatre and some films.
I'll get him a huge tub of flying saucers I think! He's the GC who has given me carefully chosen presents from holidays - a wooden buddha, a glass dolphin.

Diggingdoris Fri 02-Jun-17 20:56:11

Our DGD wanted money as she was starting driving lessons the next day. Made it easy for us.

Longdistancegrnny Fri 02-Jun-17 21:19:26

We gave DD a really good suitcase for her 18th and filled it with 18 small gifts all wrapped up, so it took ages for her to open everything, seemed to go down well. For special occasions (ie birthdays and wedding anniversaries with a '0') we now tend to give vouchers for an 'experience'. Teenagers always want money, of course but I am sure he would appreciate a gift too - like the photobook idea.

Diddy1 Fri 02-Jun-17 23:37:57

My eldest Grandson, and first Grandchild, recently had his 18th I put money into his account to help him with his drivng lessons, he was thrilled to bits, lets hope he remembers Grandmother when I dont drive any more!

Elrel Sat 03-Jun-17 00:16:44

Many thanks, very thoughtful posts everyone, some excellent and original ideas!

Newquay Sat 03-Jun-17 08:31:11

We did a photo book of DGD's life too. Front cover was her as a newborn and back cover a recent one. In between photos from each year-a great hit and she said there were photos she hadn't seen.
When her sister was 18 we did the same-in secret, of course, she said sadly to her Mum, our DD "don't think Granny and Grandad are doing me an album". This time we began with her as a newborn on front cover but then did a photographic family tree showing our Grandparents through to us then her Mum and Dad's wedding then her! That was a lot of work but very much appreciated.
It was so popular that their Mum, our DD, wanted one for her 40th-now that WAS a lot of work as many photos had to be scanned from old albums.

annodomini Sat 03-Jun-17 09:28:01

I gave one of mine a day out at Oulton Park racetrack where he was taken round by a professional driver and eventually got to drive a racing car himself. The other son opted for a more mundane electric guitar.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 03-Jun-17 10:38:45

Cuff-links? Some shirts still require them, and a lot of the youngsters think they are very, very smart indeed. A pocket watch is "in" too.

Granof11 Sat 03-Jun-17 15:45:18

Wish I'd seen some of these ideas last month for my GS's 18th birthday. As the family are on a very tight budget I sent him money and a card, neither of which have been acknowledged; obviously I got it wrong. Oh dear!

annodomini Sat 03-Jun-17 16:43:04

I don't think you got it wrong, Granof11. Teenagers can always make use of hard cash. I hope he bought something worthwhile with your contribution, but mostly they go for the latest video games. The next 18th in my family is three years ahead, so plenty of time to think about it, though I am quite sure she will make her preferences known - never backward in coming forward!

ElaineI Sun 04-Jun-17 09:36:31

Luggage is a great idea - if cases are not used a lot there are really nice backpacks yo can get that protect laptops etc - good quality ones.

Granny23 Sun 04-Jun-17 11:13:34

Both DDs initially used their big suitcases as underbed storage in their student flats and for bringing home the presents when they came home for Chistmas. Later, both sets have literally been 'round the world'.

Flin Fri 15-Sep-17 11:39:05

If he is considering College/Uni or leaving home, then do him a favour and tip him off about forming appropriate friendships. I found this novel warning Freshers about partying too hard.
- 'What If I Go?' by Polly White
www.amazon.co.uk/What-If-Go-Polly-White/dp/1625265255/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1505471825&sr=1-1&keywords=what+if+i+Go&tag=gransnetforum-21
Best of luck for his future, Fiona

Nannykay Fri 15-Sep-17 15:24:44

We bought all our children tickets for them plus one to a trip of their choice, two their first concert, my daughter to a ballet. Money is spent, gifts get lost, pushed to the back of draws etc, but a experience is never forgotten

GillT57 Fri 15-Sep-17 16:27:04

Have a look at Book of Everyone. Lovely bespoke book all about the person and the day they were born. Easy to complete on website

Yorkshiregirl Sat 16-Sep-17 10:40:24

A nice pen in a presentation box

Katekeeprunning Sat 16-Sep-17 11:27:06

Book of everyone is fantastic. I recently did it for my goddaughter best friend and SIL and they loved them

Nelliemaggs Sat 16-Sep-17 11:30:16

I live in London and us public transport and fear I must look very old as people stand up for me on buses and the underground and carry any heavy bag up the stairs. I swear I try to look as young as I can and don't try to look pathetic!

I always stood for people who needed my seat so I suppose I am getting paid back for past kindness.

Yesterday on the train with a friend on the way to her hospital appointment, I suppose many people were more anxious than usual, and a young woman became panicky and received wonderful care from the people around her. I don't know why Londoners have a bad reputation where friendliness is concerned.

susieken Sat 16-Sep-17 11:41:29

We have just bought shares in a crowd funded whisky distillery for our granddaughter 's 18 th. She can keep them for years and get a wee dividend or sell them when she chooses.

sussexoldbag Sat 16-Sep-17 11:44:13

I know someone who gave National Trust Life Membership to each of her grandchildren on their coming of age.

Nelliemaggs Sat 16-Sep-17 15:02:44

When I do something silly like posting on the wrong thread, how do I get it removed please?

sarahellenwhitney Sat 16-Sep-17 16:52:52

Elrel. As GS is anticipating the age he can vote what could be better than a ticket to the next conference of his chosen party. All parties are eager to recruit new members and I believe you have to be a member to obtain a pass/ticket
A little research on your part should give GS a birthday to remember.

grannyticktock Sat 16-Sep-17 17:18:32

If he hasn't already got one, a Swiss Army knife with lots of extras would probably be appreciated. Or if he's the outdoorsy type, a decent rucksack or tent (best take advice on this!).

grannyticktock Sat 16-Sep-17 17:23:31

I know I've already posted a minute ago, but another thought: if you have several DGC and this is the first one to reach 18, consider whether you'll be able to do something equivalent for each of them. It's easy to get excited about the first one to reach each milestone, but most people want to be even-handed when it comes to gifts. Eighteen presents in a suitcase might be fun the first time, but if you have six DGC, it could get a bit tiresome!

catwoman Sat 16-Sep-17 17:54:04

Bought my husband a personalised book for his 70th birthday. It went down well as something to keep.

glammanana Sat 16-Sep-17 18:07:48

We bought DGS1 his first grown up watch engraved on the back from nana & grandpa & gave him 350 of premium bonds that was 7 yrs ago and he has been lucky twice with those bonds,not massive amounts but a lot more than he would have earned if he put it in his saving account.