Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

18th birthday present

(54 Posts)
Elrel Wed 31-May-17 01:10:55

Any ideas for DGS please? I want to give him an actual present as well as money. He is very excitedly anticipating his first vote as his birthday is in early June. He likes clothes as presents, loves music but but I've no idea which music. Very keen on the theatre and some films.
I'll get him a huge tub of flying saucers I think! He's the GC who has given me carefully chosen presents from holidays - a wooden buddha, a glass dolphin.

ninathenana Wed 31-May-17 06:45:53

Ticketmaster do vouchers that can be used for theatre or music concerts.

Elrel Thu 01-Jun-17 21:56:32

Nina - thanks!

mimiro Thu 01-Jun-17 23:43:44

depending on what you can spend
season tickets to a venue??

phoenix Thu 01-Jun-17 23:55:58

Elrel I might be completely wrong, but do you mean you want to get him something tangible, rather than just money, vouchers, tickets etc?

Could be wrong, often am. ........

Whatthehellhappened Fri 02-Jun-17 10:15:56

What about an experience? Wowcher, Groupon, BuyaGift etc always have loads at a variety of prices.

blueberry1 Fri 02-Jun-17 10:25:19

When my grandson turned 18,I gave him money but also wanted to get him something personal that he could have as a keepsake.I found this company who have a book that can be personalised and choice of covers/presentation,reasonably priced.My grandson was really pleased with it and several people commented on what a good present it was.

thebookofeveryone.com/uk

Cagsy Fri 02-Jun-17 10:28:25

I feel for you, I never have a clue what to buy my 24 year old son for birthdays or Christmas - there are books, games etc on his shelves never opened. Like you I like to give something tangible along with the money, which is what they really want I think.
His older brother isn't much easier but he does like books and as he and my DD are older and have homes and families there's always something they want, funnily enough NT membership is a hit as it gives them places to take the children for 'free'.
Good luck and hope he has a great time wine

radicalnan Fri 02-Jun-17 10:36:25

I always buy a copy of 'The Little Prince' alongside whatever else I choose to give. It is the best guide to life there is.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 02-Jun-17 10:47:31

There is an independent wine shop near us that decorate wine or champagne bottles and put a personal message on etc. I got a champagne one for my son on his birthday (21st). (Also good for wedding gifts!)

Granny23 Fri 02-Jun-17 10:51:17

When our DDs had their 18th and 21st Birthdays a fortnight apart we bought them both a set of luggage - big case, weekender case, flight bag and added a wallet with Euros.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 02-Jun-17 10:51:55

You could also have a look on here

www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/special-birthday-presents/18th-birthday-gifts.htm

Kim19 Fri 02-Jun-17 10:52:29

Something VERY personal is a special memory. How about the two of you having an overnighter away somewhere he might really like. Your preferences take second place on this occasion!

nipsmum Fri 02-Jun-17 11:48:53

I have found an Amazon voucher to be very acceptable for teenagers. There is such a wide choice there ,they are bound to find something they like.

JS06 Fri 02-Jun-17 11:51:11

www.cafepress.co.uk/+voting+gifts?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=53232426-d-c&utm_content=2065315746-adid-6489381306&utm_term=aud-42613514706:kwd-14563665122

A voting gift perhaps Elrel just to acknowledge his 18th? Also if you've got photos of him, what about a photobook with him through from birth til now, you can get them done online in double quick time.

Brigidsdaughter Fri 02-Jun-17 12:09:34

Our best wedding gift was a pair of binoculars - unusual but life long use and something we may not have treated ourselves to.

These photobooks are great ideas. Liking this thread...

nanaK54 Fri 02-Jun-17 12:16:06

Love the luggage idea - will store that one for future reference!

GranDi Fri 02-Jun-17 13:30:14

Cookery lessons.

Magrithea Fri 02-Jun-17 13:34:04

Our boys were given cufflinks as 18th and 21st presents. They might not wear them now but will probably at some point in their lives!

willa45 Fri 02-Jun-17 14:58:29

Certain occasions deserve gifts that should transcend into the future as heirlooms or treasured memories. An eighteenth birthday is an important milestone and a rite of passage into adulthood. Perhaps a leather wallet, a camera, a watch or a fountain pen. Monogramming can also make a gift very special, even an inexpensive one.

Sheilasue Fri 02-Jun-17 15:45:17

Maybe some money towards an evening out with his friends. We did this with our daughter she didn't want an 18th party. We did go out for a family meal another time.

shysal Fri 02-Jun-17 16:16:52

It is my oldest GS's 18th tomorrow. I shall give him a gift of money including some US dollars for his upcoming trip to New York with his dance group. I wish I had thought of luggage, it would have been ideal!
I am just giving him little things to open on the day plus made a cake and lots of Kit Kats with personalized wrappers to give out to his friends. He is off to Uni soon to do a musical theatre dance degree so I bought some student cook books plus a cooking mug for microwave mug meals. Also got a big vintage brass church key with an '18' keyring as a keepsake.
Bet I shall be off looking at suitcases etc early in the morning!
I hope you manage to find good ideas on GN, they always come up trumps!

Moneyboss Fri 02-Jun-17 16:22:01

Maybe a newspaper from the date of his birth.

Blodwen1910 Fri 02-Jun-17 18:36:52

When my grandson turned 18, as well as money that we had been saving in his name, we gave him his great grandfather's music baton in its original presentation box. The baton is inscribed, on silver, with GGF's name, with gratitude, from the choir that he conducted for many years. We have given GS all the information about GGF and hope that the appreciation that he has shown will continue..

Juney64 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:08:42

Elrel you could maybe buy him something like this...

bluerockbay.com/products/valencia-brown-leather-steel-mens-bracelet-engraved-personalised-gift-boxed-1?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=4270110915&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmcTJBRCYirao6oWPyMsBEiQA9hQPbtcffHhGv_9KVdUvS_O0QxwuZZXvwlUL0ZWKGRRwx_waAqFl8P8HAQ

My next door neighbour's 18th was last year and I bought him one similar to this. His mum said it was his favourite thing ever. I bought one at Christmas for my mid 30's son and the other two said they would love one too. They're popular with men in suits too!