Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Your own 18th birthday present

(55 Posts)
Baggs Sat 03-Jun-17 06:57:42

There is a thread already on what presents to give to young people reaching their eighteenth birthday nowadays. What did your parents give you as an eighteenth birthday present?

Mine gave me a silver bangle and a lovely India paper edition of Shakespeare's works. My dad asked me for ideas about something I would like to have and I said I'd like to have a silver bangle. It was a really lovely one. I've since given it to DD1. I still have the Shakespeare.

Juggernaut Sun 04-Jun-17 14:27:33

For my eigtheenth my parents bought me an opal and diamond ring, which I wear to this day, even though it's had to be enlarged more than a tiny bit!
Fortunately they had the foresight to buy a classic design, and not one of the 'seventies' designs which have dated so badly!

NannyKasey Sun 04-Jun-17 15:36:55

My parents bought me a ring for my 18th in 1982 which I rarely take off. I also had a party. Got engaged on my 21st, so had another ring. I didn't have another party just for me until my 50th almost 3 years ago. My DM and DD got a photo cake from ASDA which had a photo of me cutting the cake at my 18th. One of my friends said that 'you haven't changed a bit'.grin I could have kissed her!!

MamaCaz Sun 04-Jun-17 19:00:20

I was given a set of luggage for my 18th. My parents probably regretted it when I used it a month later to leave home to live on a narrowboat with my then boyfriend, and now DH!

Willow500 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:42:34

Pretty sure I didn't get anything significant - I was married with a child by the time I was 18 - my parents probably gave us a food parcel as we were so hard up. For my 21st (1975) they gave me a very fine gold charm bracelet which they added to over the years. I still have it but don't wear it as it catches on clothes. My in-laws gave me a set of second hand silver soup spoons - no I've no idea why either grin

starbird Mon 05-Jun-17 17:52:27

For my 21st I think I was given a jewelry box about 10" x 6" x 3" deep with a padded top and tray with different sized divisions for earings, etc (I say I think, I still have it but maybe it wasn't a 21st present.
My in laws gave me a gilded brush, comb, mirror set and husband bought me a sewing machine. I no longer have the last two.

Deedaa Mon 05-Jun-17 19:55:07

I'm way too old for an 18th to be a thing and to be honest I can't remember what my parents gave me hmm think it might have been a sewing machine. My friend and I had a joint party in a room in the pub. Lots of sausages on sticks and cheese and pineapple! I wore a calico Mary Quant dress and was kissed my the college lecturer I had been lusting over for months {Won't go into any more detail about that one!}

paddyann Mon 05-Jun-17 19:59:55

parents booked a table for 10 friends and me (and them) at the new Italian in town,and they bought me a set of Antler luggage ,in RED ,I had it for years and my grandaughter still plays with the vanity case now .I got the luggage a few weeks early as I was going to Majorca with a friend ,first time on a plane .

Daisyboots Mon 05-Jun-17 20:35:34

The 18th birthday was not celebrated in 1962 but for my 21st in 1965 my parents bought me a gold watch which I have still got. I cant wear it because the dial is so small I cannot read it even with specs. I was married and my MIL bought me a crystal glass bowl which didnt appeal at all at that age.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Jun-17 21:55:02

I was 21 in 1972. For my birthday I asked for and received my first record player. Until then I recorded Top of the Pops on my Dad's reel to reel tape recorder. My next door neighbour, a lovely lady called Tina, gave me a beautiful green leather covered jewellery box which I still have. The record player is long gone. I didn't want a party, so my Mam made a special family dinner. It was a lovely day, except that I had to go to work!

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Jun-17 21:56:18

Ps. I also got a good signet ring from my parents. It's too small for me now, and I passed it on to my daughter. ?

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Jun-17 21:56:53

That would be gold.

POGS Tue 06-Jun-17 09:35:01

Mum and dad bought me a Singer sewing machine for my 21st confused

I still use it to date but it summed up my dads attitude to money, it was hard worked for and not to be squandered. He did lighten up when life got better for them but they never bought me jewellery or nice things always practice gifts.

Plenty of love and a happy upbringing but I guess now they are gone a gold bangle would mean more a sewing machine. grin

Deeana1 Tue 06-Jun-17 10:21:44

Nothing at all for my 18th Birthday in 1973 !!

Anniebach Tue 06-Jun-17 10:24:51

21st. Wrist watch , crucifix, and a silk red rose which I still keep by my bed ,a letter expressing their love and a party.

Anya Tue 06-Jun-17 11:08:19

Nothing for 18th as it wasn't celebrated as a Big Birthday when I were a lass.

rosesarered Tue 06-Jun-17 11:22:47

I used to really want a pretty dressing table set when aged around 18, I don't know why, as I didnt have a dressing table.

rosesarered Tue 06-Jun-17 11:25:17

Mind you, I also wanted a gold cigarette lighter ( didn't smoke) and a gold powder compact ( never wore powder) I think these things were just nice objects! grin

Auntieflo Tue 06-Jun-17 11:29:49

I had our son ? , but he was a bit late, being born in October. My birthday was May. POGS my parents also gave me a sewing machine.

Auntieflo Tue 06-Jun-17 11:31:43

That should read for my 21st !! As lots of others 18th birthdays were not celebrated as special, back in the days.

POGS Tue 06-Jun-17 12:00:59

Auntieflo

smile

willsmadnan Tue 06-Jun-17 12:13:32

For my 21st parents gave me a lovely turquoise ring, which being the careless c.. I was in those days, I promptly lost ..... and a set of Antler suitcases. Were they trying to tell me something?? They were cream leather and included a 'vanity'case which made me feel 'tres' posh! I had the cases for years, but sadly with the advance of air travel they were too heavy and cumbersome.

NanasRock Thu 15-Jun-17 17:48:34

For my 21st my parents gave me a gold 5 bar gate bracelet.
I also got a English springer puppy, who was with me for the next 15 years.

baubles Thu 15-Jun-17 21:29:14

Don't remember my 18th, my parents weren't big on gifts so probably didn't receive anything. For my 21st they gave me a gold Claddagh ring and a copy of Letters to his Daughter by Kenneth Allsop, both of which I still have.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 15-Jun-17 22:20:40

I chose a matching duvet set and curtains for my tiny box room bedroom. Most expensive gift I'd ever had. Loved it smile

kezia Thu 15-Jun-17 22:45:32

A copy of the Shorter Oxford English dictionary (mother was an English teacher and I was/am obsessed with words) plus a Michaela Frey bangle. I still have them both forty years later. It's fascinating looking at the dictionary as it's almost an historical document these days!