Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Orange tights

(140 Posts)
Baggs Sat 03-Jun-17 07:47:32

The question is can, no, dare I wear orange tights with this dress?

harrigran Sat 10-Jun-17 13:06:58

I remember wearing khaki coloured stockings, with beetle pattern, in the early 60s. They were a birthday gift from a neighbour who worked in the hosiery department of one of the big department stores in town. We don't even have a department store in our town now.
I commented to DH the other day that the one upside to being old is that I do not give a stuff what people think of the way I dress, I tend to wear for comfort and am no longer able to wear tights.

DanniRae Sat 10-Jun-17 13:02:05

Many thanks for explanations Baggs! I learn something new every day with GN smile

Elegran Sat 10-Jun-17 13:00:59

Now I have this image of a generously proportioned gran going out in public wearing long coms patterned in unusual colours.

MawBroon Sat 10-Jun-17 12:58:43

On a more serious note, I have often noticed how younger women look stunning in unexpected colour combinations (no, not those combinations) I think being too cautious with colour is a big age giveaway, but textures have to be right too. E.g.opaque tights and then not worrying too much!

Baggs Sat 10-Jun-17 12:54:57

Yes, elegran, it is about having one's own style and not really caring if fashionista bods like it or not. The important thing is to like it oneself. My question in the OP was not really about whether I should wear orange tights with the dress, it was do there exist orange tights that will be right with this dress? The answer was yes, as the friend who gave me the prefectly matching tights could see.

Her son was one of my Cubs when I ran the local pack.

One has to be so precise on Gransnet sometimes because some people take sticks by the wrong ends and bash one with them (JOKE alert!). I've found the right tights for my dress. That is what I set out to do. Most of the responses have been fun as well so it was worth doing.

Happy weekend to all betighted and unbetighted people, male or female, in whatever colour of tights they bloody well like smile

Baggs Sat 10-Jun-17 12:48:05

POTUS = President of the United States

Jizz is most often used of birds. It refers to the particular way that each species moves and acts, so it forms part of their recognisability, especially if you can't see details like feather colours.

DanniRae Sat 10-Jun-17 12:44:00

Jalima - what is a POTUS?

Elegran - what is JIZZ?

Please!

Elegran Sat 10-Jun-17 12:19:17

And please send us a photo.

Elegran Sat 10-Jun-17 12:18:25

Kmow what suits you and what you can carry off is the secret. If you know that you will look like an over-cooked turkey in orange tights, steer clear as SAAK does who is aware of the danger to her image. If you know you will look fabulous, wear them. No-one else can make the decision, though it is interesting to hear all the different opinions.

Mine is that with your build, colouring and jizz you will look neat, smart and unstuffy. Go for it.

Chewbacca Sat 10-Jun-17 11:21:29

Oops! That could be me Jalima ! I have dyed blonde hair and wear a terracotta/burnt orange coloured top! Oh well, another fashion faux pas! smile

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Jun-17 11:11:50

I like burnt orange but I think you'd have to be careful wearing it too near the face especially if you have blonde hair.

You wouldn't want it to reflect and end up looking like a POTUS would you?

Baggs Sat 10-Jun-17 07:15:48

I think your sense of humour needs a quick wind up, saak. The clockwork mechanism for understanding a bit of piss-taking and self-mockery seems to have slowed down to nearly zero ?

Re the flamenco dancer, I tried it when I lived in Edinburgh, courtesy of a Spanish friend whom I met through Scottish dancing. It's hellishly difficult. People think Scottish dancing is difficult but that seemed to be in my blood, whereas Flamenco... oh boy!

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 23:13:17

I also have a burnt orange scarf which I wear to to add a bit of colour on the upper body.

rosesarered Fri 09-Jun-17 23:07:41

grin
I used to have a lovely burnt orange blouse ( as we used to call them....all shirts now.) wore it to death, silky and with a glow to it.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 23:04:55

Totally agree chew, very becoming, just not on legs smile

Chewbacca Fri 09-Jun-17 23:03:34

Burnt orange is a lovely warm colour isn't it Roses. Great with navy, black, dark grey, browns and beiges. Compliments most skin tones and always looks rich.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 22:41:56

I also like a bit of orange on the top half of my body smile

rosesarered Fri 09-Jun-17 22:40:52

Burnt orange, I remember that colour well. There were some lovely names for dress colours in the past that nobody seems to use now.
Carmine, ashes of roses, teal, shocking pink, electric blue,peacock,french navy, bottle green etc.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 22:33:15

So do dark glasses for me fin

ffinnochio Fri 09-Jun-17 22:28:22

I dunno saak - kinda works for me,

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 22:19:26

Another myth smile

ffinnochio Fri 09-Jun-17 22:14:37

It's not what you wear, but how you wear it. smile

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 22:08:54

If a person is confident wearing orange tights then there would be no need to ask. Go do it.

If a person comes on line and asks an opinion, be prepared for that opinion.

If the person that came on line to ask an opinion and becomes defensive about such an opinion then they really need to not wear orange tights.

annsixty Fri 09-Jun-17 21:52:11

Just think Rod Hull and emu!!

stillaliveandkicking Fri 09-Jun-17 21:43:15

Go on then Baggs, be a freak as long as you can wear it smile I personally would feel a bit of a muppet.