Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

@NHS Do you trust Theresa May?

(142 Posts)
Serkeen Wed 07-Jun-17 15:35:51

@NHS Quote on twitter

"A vote for this government is a vote against the NHS

Do you trust Theresa May? Or do you trust your doctors, nurses, teachers and police officers"?

What do you think, is this true?

kittylester Thu 08-Jun-17 06:42:20

celeb, our gp has a 'come and wait' session every morning and afternoon and the doctors just plough their way through everyone there. You must ring first to book in and when the list is full you are advised to ring 111. They are, without fail, courteous, empathetic, caring and thorough. That seems to be par for the course round here.

durhamjen Wed 07-Jun-17 23:55:32

skwawkbox.org/2017/06/07/this-exocet-hits-the-nhs-unless-we-remove-the-tories-tomorrow-ge17/

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 23:12:01

That's good Morgana my back surgeon does t do private work, unusual
I onlynsaw him April 2£th and he hopes do op end July

So not too bad but I saw another surgeon in February not v helpful,so Been long wait, my MRI scan was last December ?

So pleased your son got sorted out.

Morgana Wed 07-Jun-17 22:41:35

Oh dear celebgran hope u get a date soon
We asked G.P. about paying to go private. Were told we could perhaps pay part of it and N.H.S. would pay the rest because of the delay. Shortly after we got a date. All paid by N.H.S

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 19:18:51

I have waited since last November in horrendous pain still not got operation date but I am not alone just keep pouring morphine down my throat!

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 19:16:48

Whitewave any dr or nurse going on social media would lose my respect anyway

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 19:16:02

Kittykester how lucky are you we are unable see dr on the day only practice nurse

Morgana Wed 07-Jun-17 19:14:51

My son has waited almost five months for an 'urgent op'. His surgeons words. They have now removed a tumour two haemorrhoids a part fistula and a large bag of pus. All as day surgery! thankfully the surgical team were marvellous.Good job he has us to look after him and fight for his wound dressings to take place. Our forefathers would be devastated to hear how the N.H.S. has been let down.

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 19:14:50

Roses why are they allowed to access personal stuff on NHS computers?

Also use their mobiles?

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 19:13:31

We don't have the resources for demands on NHS so many more people abusing it coming over here to have babies just one example

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 19:13:22

celebgran I have seen that situation first hand!

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 19:12:25

That doesn't mean privatisation.

celebgran Wed 07-Jun-17 19:12:07

Oh gosh the 3nurses looking up their holidays when my friends mum at 95 was ringing buzzer to ask for commode weren't under pressure were they?
Disgraceful.
My poor friends mum didn't want to interrupt them?
What a very sad situation

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 19:11:48

Every government tries to keep the NHS going, but due to the vast population and the amount of treatments now possible it probably can't continue as it is.Something will have to change.

Jane10 Wed 07-Jun-17 19:06:38

Have to Tories actually said they are going to privatise the NHS?

Lazigirl Wed 07-Jun-17 18:16:35

I also worked for the NHS for the whole of my career, and I am very sure that things have changed in clearly demonstrable ways. I have never seen colleagues with whom I worked so dispirited, so stressed, so short staffed and under so much pressure as they are now, and they just cannot wait to leave. In Shropshire for example they have rationed joint replacements so that only those in the most severe pain can be referred, and they are no longer taking referrals for eye conditions in this county. They are planning to close one of our two A&E Units despite serving a population of half a million in Shropshire and Mid Wales. The CCG is in severe financial difficulties. I could continue, but this is just the tip of the iceberg and I am sure other areas are suffering in a similar way. I believe most people want an NHS free at point of delivery, and would be willing to pay extra income tax to maintain it. Unfortunately for ideological reasons the Tory party prefer a privatised free market system, without any empirical evidence that this will be more cost effective, and are allowing it to fail accordingly.

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 18:11:12

I have links too! I am married to a man who worked hard on the front line of the nhs for fifty years.

The exponential rise in the numbers of managers (with no knowledge or experience but degrees in business) and all the inefficiencies are a big factor in the nhs's problems.

Jane10 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:35:28

Clearly it depends on where people live and the varying pressures on the massive number of different departments and specialities within this colossal service. As a lead clinician myself I can say that our particular service had only a maximum 2 week waiting list.

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 17:29:24

All institutions constantly clamour for more money be it the NHS or Police or schools.

rosesarered Wed 07-Jun-17 17:27:42

Just recently a friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, she saw a consultant in ten days, and had the lump removed a week later! I was surprised at the speed of it all.It may depend where you live in the UK but fast times for cancer are obviously happening.

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:20:52

Jane you said nothing changes. What on earth did you mean then? Did I dream the two week cancer target? Under Blair, there weren't just more meetings etc in the NHS. There was more money and better care. There was a commitment to the NHS which does not exist now.

Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:16:08

I have every right to disagree as strongly as I wish with a post - I would love to see a reputable link to somewhere like The Kings Fund that demonstrates that nothing got better under Blair and that we are not now going back to pre Blair days. Unless you can provide that level of evidence, then I'll continue to criticise comments that are completely evidence free.

whitewave Wed 07-Jun-17 17:15:00

How do you explain all the doctors, nurses etc coming on both the mainstream media or social media saying what a disaster the Tories are residing over?

Jane10 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:12:47

Oh sorry , you have "links" obviously you'll know more than a humble actual professional who has indeed grown up in the NHS. All that will change will be more meetings, talking and planning irrespective of who is elected. Meanwhile, people will get older and become ill for longer. Newer and more expensive treatments and resources will be required and the good old NHS as set up all these years ago will have to find new ways to meet new expectations. Hence more meetings and planning.

f77ms Wed 07-Jun-17 17:11:30

I worked for the NHs , have friends still working who all say the last few years have been very difficult under the Tories . They feel they are deliberately starving it of funds to pave the way for privatisation .