Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How are you spending the rest of the day?

(38 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 08-Jun-17 13:34:40

When I finish my gin & tonic cup of tea I'll be slipping into my Sweaty Bettys and going for a long walk.

Instead of the river I might go on a recce of the local polling stations - sounds a bit sad I know grin

What's everyone up to?

Indinana Fri 09-Jun-17 08:48:23

Thanks ruby (and rafichagran and seacliff for your comments smile)
I really hope you will soon be well enough - and home for good - to be asking me for sewing tips!
Had to laugh at your cartoon nurses gringringrin. And I hope that means that you're getting lots and lots of post to cheer you up!!

rubylady Fri 09-Jun-17 03:51:04

Indiana Such beautiful dresses, I love the orange one, one very lucky little girl and cat. You are very skilled. I might be asking you for some tips one day. smile

My nurses one day had wrote on the board above my bed that they were "Jess & Pat". I had to laugh, I was being looked after by cartoon characters! grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Jun-17 21:15:35

Hung some curtains, voted, watched The Founder at the Senior Vue, bought nibbles to keep us going for the election marathon (any excuse), thought about doing a bit of work on DGS2's Tracy Island birthday cake (but didn't), looked after DGS3 in Spiderman mode for a couple of hours, ate pizza. Just settling now to watch Channel 4's alternative election night programmes until the serious business kicks off. And deciding whether wine or beer will best ease the pain/fuel the celebration.

varian Thu 08-Jun-17 19:50:06

Telling at the polling station for the LibDems. Had a nice chat with the Tory teller who is very disappointed with Theresa May.

I know she'll win. The owners of the Express, Sun and Daily Mail Mail will make sure that she does.

I wonder what it would be like to live in a democratic country with a PR voting system and no tax exile billionaires telling people how to vote?

rafichagran Thu 08-Jun-17 19:47:53

Lovely dresses.

Ana Thu 08-Jun-17 18:49:57

Tory, of course grin

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 18:46:10

Long queues at polling station, and lots of youngsters voting.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 08-Jun-17 18:21:55

Work, voted, work again - Tory too smile

Alima Thu 08-Jun-17 17:58:13

whtewave, you have seen the light!

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 17:50:17

Just going to vote - Tory grin

ginny Thu 08-Jun-17 17:37:54

Tidied the house. Had my hair trimmed. Voted. Had an unsuccessful trip to buy a dress for a party. Picked up some 'nude' sugar paste for Dd3 and delivered same. Unpacked other shopping. Put a chicken in the oven. Prepared rest of tonight's dinner. Sat down, don't want to get up again.

rubysong Thu 08-Jun-17 17:33:46

Voted, shopped, haircut, finished making chutney, did the ironing, did church photocopying.
I shall stay up as long as I can stand it. I am prepared with my onesie, a large bag of Twiglets and a bottle of wine.
I feel (once again), we are choosing the least worst to govern us but I do enjoy the drama of the night as the results come in.

seacliff Thu 08-Jun-17 17:19:46

Such pretty dresses, you're very skilled

wildswan16 Thu 08-Jun-17 17:12:57

Just back from the University where I took part in research into Alzheimers for an hour. It is absolutely p...ing down with rain so got well and truly soaked on the way back so am having to treat myself to a large cup of coffee and 4 chocolate digestives. wink.

The evening will be spent avoiding any programme on TV that mentions the election - I can't stand them all trying to prophecy who is going to win - why can't they just wait until we actually know.

Indinana Thu 08-Jun-17 17:09:50

I haven't even been down to vote yet! Don't worry, we'll both be going shortly, it's only at the bottom of our road.
I've spent a lot of the day sewing - finishing two dresses for my little granddaughter and then I made a dress for her favourite cuddly toy, Jessie Cat. I just hope it fits! I made it out of a tea towel, one of several I bought recently from Aldi because they were so cheap and the fabric is really lovely!

annsixty Thu 08-Jun-17 16:45:08

Just back from garden centre. Voted by post at the weekend.
Will now be lazy as I refuse to cook tonight. Crusty bread,ham and tomatoes.

loopyloo Thu 08-Jun-17 16:37:28

I have just had a snooze so now must get on and do something. Think I will take my bike to the bike shop to repair the front tyre..Then I must work on preparing for the Mandarin group next week.Then go to vote when DH is back home.

Morgana Thu 08-Jun-17 16:24:29

Having a very bitty day. Not yet achieved anything on my list! Strange thing happened this morning. I was just dashing out the door when an old friend appeared from nowhere. She never comes round but there she was. I had been thinking about her earlier and it was as if I had conjured her up!

shysal Thu 08-Jun-17 16:20:06

Notcutts for some more Chunky Dumplings for the birds (their favourites). Bought a tray of magenta Cosmos whch caught my eye. Then to the dump to dispose of a large lidded cat litter tray which is broken. Lidl on the way back for some salmon for dinner.

Tippy22 Thu 08-Jun-17 16:06:48

While the OH went to the supermarket I whizzed round and caught up with all the little jobs i can't do while he's around like hoovering under the desk, struggled to clean shower doors (any tips gratefully received), did 2 loads of washing then went to vote. Sitting down now for the rest of the day with my feet up and hopefully OH will cook dinner as he's just come back with a peel back and put in the oven meal deal, not what he was asked to buy but hey ho it comes with a bottle of wine!

Greyduster Thu 08-Jun-17 15:01:58

Been food shopping, voted, cleaned bathrooms, watched DH unclean a bathroom by deciding to clean the outside of the window frame from the inside; cleaned bathroom again! No radio or TV on today. Bliss. Played piano for half an hour. Now poring over bathroom catalogues - again. We are amassing quite a stack. I will not be sitting up tonight.

DanniRae Thu 08-Jun-17 14:56:04

Had a good walk round local (large) park with my husband and dog - went to vote - made start on mince beef pie for tonight - hung up washing - had lunch - now bl**dy tired so on Gransnet and after plan to have a read of my new magazine plus a brew !!

kittylester Thu 08-Jun-17 14:44:06

I've been to Sainsbury's and to vote. Currently having a little sit before I go to help on an Alzheimer's CrISP course. Going to sleep in the spare room so DH can watch the results and not disturb me!

grannysyb Thu 08-Jun-17 14:27:37

Been to upholstery class this morning, making trousers! Now on train going into London to look for a swimsuit at a sample sale. Will vote later with DH.

KatyK Thu 08-Jun-17 14:26:28

Went shopping for some jeans from M&S. My jeans were marked up at £35 and when the assistant scanned the bar code, they came up as £3.49 and that was what she sold them to me for. I was SO chuffed. This has happened to me once before, I don't know why, they were not reduced or in the sale. Made my day smile Came home, had lunch, went to vote.