Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why are some people so flipping cross?

(200 Posts)
kittylester Thu 15-Jun-17 15:05:14

And why are they so ready to look for something to be offended about?

Lots of love
Pollyanna. grin

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Jun-17 00:29:39

Could be wrong, often am.
It was in response to that phoenix

DH calls me Mrs Right but I find on GN I am Mrs Wrong quite a lot of the time.
Or Mrs Misunderstood.

phoenix Fri 16-Jun-17 00:23:48

Jalima? Was your grin for me, or an earlier post?

durhamjen Fri 16-Jun-17 00:23:33

Why do some people think it's okay to have a whole thread criticising other people rather than talk about something more important?
Why should a thread like this be acceptable on GN?
Doesn't it go against GN rules from the start?

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Jun-17 00:16:49

grin

phoenix Fri 16-Jun-17 00:05:04

Ok , not sure what this is all about, but I will say to Rigby46 , if you don't like or disagree with an opinion expressed on a post or thread, and you don't have anything constructive to add, why are you bothering to waste your time posting things like zzzzz ?

I presume that as you are bothering to post your opinions (albeit in a limited form) you might be intelligent enough to form some.

Could be wrong, often am.

durhamjen Thu 15-Jun-17 23:51:18

Maybe soops kitchen wasn't safe today because people go in there to complain about other people.
That isn't the point of soops kitchen, is it?
If you go and complain about other people, you are the ones making it unsafe.

MawBroon Thu 15-Jun-17 23:41:16

Sorry kittyl! In trying to be serious I fear I came across as pompous (!)
There has been a bit of crossness at Ecclefechan Towers recently and I was musing aloud as much as commenting on things in general.
But I think ever since the referendum there has been a spikier, less patient or tolerant flavour to many threads. I don't recollect GN being so aggressively political, or indeed politically aggressive back in the early years and there was little of the MN type of language we see so much of these days. Good grief, jingl was MILD in comparison! There were also some who started out all disingenuous but quickly got the wooden spoon out, somehow leaving a wake of discord while never quite getting their own hands dirty, but they seem to have passed on their way.
Maybe we need to reflect, think of who we are talking to as real people like ourselves, probably with many of the same joys and sorrows, aches and pains, highs and lows and not unknown anonymous beings with no substance.

grumppa Thu 15-Jun-17 23:03:05

Not wishing to be rude, I named no names.

grumppa Thu 15-Jun-17 23:02:19

I think it's possible to be flipping cross (Who? Me? Never!) without being bloody rude, for which there is no excuse.

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 22:56:30

I am sorry to learn that Chewbacca

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jun-17 22:45:39

Think its been rather aggressive today AB. Some people have just staggered from thread to thread, looking to fall out with people. Even Soops Kitchen wasn't safe today! grin

gillybob Thu 15-Jun-17 22:44:40

My DH says I am always a miserable cow (he's right) I just have varying grades of miserable. Can't argue with that.

Anniebach Thu 15-Jun-17 22:36:45

Being cross compared to aggressiveness ?

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 15-Jun-17 22:30:34

I take a break from GN when I get fed up with people taking umbrage when it's clear that none of was intended. GN is not somewhere I come to be racked off.

kittylester Thu 15-Jun-17 22:09:44

Maw, you are not cross all the time nor do you look to be offended. I think you know what I am getting at.

And, I think anyone who 'knows' me appreciates that I understand about all the things ffinochio mentioned.

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 15-Jun-17 18:46:31

<checks my post>

Nope, don't think I said that at all.

Ana Thu 15-Jun-17 18:43:38

So it's excusable to come on here and rant, rave and swear at other posters is it? confused

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 15-Jun-17 18:41:02

To be fair there is a lot to be cross about, a hell of a lot. I find it hard to get through a morning without feeling rage.

That isn't a bad thing, that is how change happens.

Sometimes being cross shows that you give a toss is all.

MawBroon Thu 15-Jun-17 18:29:28

Ffinnochio has summed it up well.
To be good humoured involves energy which can be in short supply when we are tired or ill (how many of have witnessed the bear with a sore head syndrome?)
I used to be very grumpy by the end of a full week's teaching, I suffered few fools gladly and my language behind the wheel could be choice (Alone at the time!) At other times I am sweetness and light personified ??
It can also give people the adrenaline they need to get through a bad patch or give them an external focus for their negative or sad feelings. I am breaking no confidences when Insay that Paw can be absolutely horrid to me, nit picking, critical, or impatient . Depending on how I feel at the time I can seethe inwardly, let it wash over me as I understand his own frustrations, reply in kind or rant on here.
I know it is because he is not well, but it can be hard to take too.
Does that answer the question kittylester?

Baggs Thu 15-Jun-17 18:06:14

Good point, jalima. My wee quip was really only a response to what annieb had just said. Excessive crossness is unpleasant, and not just a teeny bit.

ffinnochio Thu 15-Jun-17 17:53:59

In answer to the op header:

... because of tiredness, or unhappiness. Fear is often the root of anger. Being got at, mocked, ignored. Feeling out of control. Frustration, anxiety and just plain pissed off. Insecurity. Health issues, money worries ..... take your pick of any or all or more. Lots to choose from. I could go on...

That's the serious bit.

If this is a thread for just light hearted banter and taking the piss, as I think it to be
then ... oops .... my bad!

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jun-17 17:42:26

Sometimes, people just get out of bed on the wrong side and want to take a pop at everyone for the sake of it. And sometimes people just have crap going on in their lives and they have no one to vent their frustration on and so go on social media and make a total twit of themselves. Like i said earlier, just count your blessings that you don't have to live with them!

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:25:19

But it is not necessarily the truth, it is only the truth to the person who is posting it.
Or they may realise it is not the truth either, they are just bullying and riding roughshod over everyone who does not see the world in shades of black or white but in the many shades in between.

Baggs Thu 15-Jun-17 17:21:44

Sometimes the truth is unpleasant.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:20:24

answering kittylester there, not your post anniebach

oops