Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hot weather, floaty dresses, but what about your knickers?

(92 Posts)
phoenix Mon 19-Jun-17 21:25:32

Evening, spent today in my attic office, stifling, stuffy, hot hot hot!

I was wearing a loose cotton shirt, which I find cooler than T shirts, and fairly loose trousers.

To be strictly honest, they weren't as loose as they were last summer sad but I did actually manage to get them on without too many undignified contortions, and with only low level swearing, which must count for something.smile

Anyway, reading a post by another member about floaty dresses being a better option than cropped trousers, made me think..........

And having had a think, I now have a question. Apart from the obvious extra hassle of having to shave one's legs (yes, I know it's not compulsory, but there are limits) I was wondering about the (ahem) "thigh" issue blush

I am of course asking for a friend, who is slightly concerned about sweating and possible chafing in that area.

She did also express some concerns about whether the thighs might make some sort of noise, perhaps "squeaking" or some such, as they came into contact.

She did briefly (ha ha, pun!) wonder if there was some sort of modern equivalent of bloomers, or directoire knickers, so I thought I would ask you lot for you advice on undergarments for dresses/skirts in hot weather.

TriciaF Tue 20-Jun-17 10:01:21

I couldn't bear wearing tight knickers like that.
What about going without? But I suppose you would still get the chafing problem.

hulahoop Tue 20-Jun-17 10:12:20

Has anyone tried lanacane anti chaf cream other thing asda little angels dry talc

gulligranny Tue 20-Jun-17 10:14:02

I always wear trousers (cropped, palazzo, jeans, you name it) nowadays because I remember all too vividly the extreme discomfort of sweaty, chafed thighs bulging above stocking tops when I was young. Tights brought an end to that horror and I am interested to read here of various anti-sweat products which may, just may, tempt me back into skirts in hot weather.

W11girl Tue 20-Jun-17 10:19:00

True Trisher, we are very lucky in the North East in that the weather remains a lot cooler most of the time, especially here on the coast, its why I moved here. Cloudy today however, but a welcome cool breeze. Never been a fan of floaty sun dresses...hoorah! But for those that are I didn't realise people had problems with chafing in dresses..I think I would opt for the dove stick deoderant option or a thin layer of non greasy cream...if I did, rather than bloomers. Hope you find something suitable to all that do suffer.

allule Tue 20-Jun-17 10:20:29

I find a thicker denim skirt cooler, as it is stiffer and stays away from my legs.

Pinkshoes26 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:25:38

Gosh! we are so different.
I live @ very close to the beach. Shorts and t.shirt is my every day wear in hot weather.

Daisydoo2 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:26:07

I use cycling shorts which I get from Amazon. They are very thin and light but does the job perfectly.

kooklafan Tue 20-Jun-17 10:26:35

It's not the chaffing thighs that have been bothering me so much as the sweaty gusset syndrome, so much so that I have been working my way through about for pairs of knickers a day. I'm glad it's cooler today, I'm not sure how much longer both of us could go with the extreme heat and running out of things in the house to make sandwiches with? I was dreading having to go to the shop in that heat because then I would have to get dressed and my problem being extremely large in the bust department is under boob sweating?

blueberry1 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:32:38

Try Jockey.co.uk,yes they do ladieswear too!They have some lounge shorts,a bit pricey at £20 but look like the kind of thing you might be after.

Nelliemaggs Tue 20-Jun-17 10:37:10

I'm long and thin so no chafing but enormous heat due to a neurological condition. A light but not see-through? skirt for me and no knickers. What we girls in our family called 'going Nicholas'.

Theoddbird Tue 20-Jun-17 10:42:23

I wear skirts all the time...usually with socks or holdups. I am not slim...size 16 at a push and I have never had the problem you talk of...hahaha. The movement of my skirts causes a gentle breeze as I walk...I stay cool smile

townie Tue 20-Jun-17 10:42:31

I love wearing dresses in summer and always use Lanacane, which I find prevents any rubbing completely.

JanaNana Tue 20-Jun-17 10:43:37

Perhaps your "friend" could consider buying the really short cotton pyjama bottoms and wearing them as an alternative to regular knickers. These can often be bought individually now. You may have to modify them slightly but worth a try.

HMarie Tue 20-Jun-17 11:02:03

Nelliemaggs - I'm going off topic here, but would love to know what your neurological condition is? Am not just being nosy! I've had a range of weird symptoms, including overheating, ever since being hospitalised with suspected viral meningitis four years ago. But in fact, I think the consultant just came up with that "possible" diagnosis to keep the books straight and really didn't have a clue what was causing my double vision.

Chicklette Tue 20-Jun-17 11:05:39

This is no help but your question reminded me of an embarrassing thing that happened many years ago. At the time I was in my twenties and very slim. I was at work on a very hot day and my thighs had become really sweaty. I was chatting to a male colleague and had to stand up and stretch for a file (I'm very short). As I sat down again my thighs slapped together with a noise like a loud fart! I was so mortified I can't remember what I said, but I do remember the shocked look on my colleague's face!

Although I'm much heavier now I'm glad to say it's never happened since. Good luck with your search for anti-chafing undies.

Margi Tue 20-Jun-17 11:06:16

At home I don't wear any pants, knickers, whatever under dresses and skirts. Also at work I did not when it got really hot. If the skirt is long, who would know? I always remember an elderly neighbour of mine, 40 years ago, who advised "let the air get to it". That was when discussing thrush etc.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 20-Jun-17 11:23:42

Like the idea of no knickers at home and the culotte slip if I go out.

The M&S one goes up to size 24. You can get bigger sizes too and different lengths -

Culotte slip

inishowen Tue 20-Jun-17 11:36:49

A few years ago I bought long legged pants from Evans. Believe it or not I've never worn them but they are designed for wearing under skirts and stop that thigh rub!

MiniMama Tue 20-Jun-17 11:50:33

I have the exact same problem- I rarely wesr dresses for the "chafing' problems but the heat eventually got to me. Ive discovered these from Marks
Light Control Sheer Shaping Thigh Slimmer
Product code: 05688630
Not for the slimming bit- bought a size larger, but they are very light and cover my thighs without being noticeable- they stop the rubbing- whooppee, now to find dome nice dresses...

jimmythewonderdog Tue 20-Jun-17 11:53:06

My daughter gets the Light Control seam free shorts from M&S and thinks they are excellent. Though looking at the picture on the website, I think hers are longer than those. But am fairly sure they are light control.

I have been eyeing up these, they look fantastic and can be bought from Amazon, they come in different sizes.
Bandelettes Elastic Thigh Bands on the Thigh
I thought I was posting the link but it hasn't appeared.

rizlett Tue 20-Jun-17 11:53:11

Maybe you need these OP that all the school kids wear beneath summer dresses these days. (there was a mumsnet thread recently)

www.marksandspencer.com/3-pack-seamfree-shorts-6-16-years-/p/p60093357?&pdpredirect

They must be hot though - no knicker is nicest and vaseline or talcum powder on thighs that like to keep close.

jimmythewonderdog Tue 20-Jun-17 11:54:17

PS Daughters ones are probably are the same as MiniMama mentions

rizlett Tue 20-Jun-17 11:55:05

my problem being extremely large in the bust department is under boob sweating

deodorant will work under there too.

Alima Tue 20-Jun-17 11:56:41

Think you, sorry, your friend, will be fine without any. The temperature looks like it will be dropping to manageable degrees by Thursday, no problem. If any are required later reckon you would be better with silky long bloomers, those on a link further up look very sweaty and more suitable for the depths of winter maybe.

Crafting Tue 20-Jun-17 12:00:30

Phoenix I have a 'friend' who has the same sort of problem but in the bottom area blush. (Not the squeaking I hasten to add just the chaffing) grin.