Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hot weather, floaty dresses, but what about your knickers?

(92 Posts)
phoenix Mon 19-Jun-17 21:25:32

Evening, spent today in my attic office, stifling, stuffy, hot hot hot!

I was wearing a loose cotton shirt, which I find cooler than T shirts, and fairly loose trousers.

To be strictly honest, they weren't as loose as they were last summer sad but I did actually manage to get them on without too many undignified contortions, and with only low level swearing, which must count for something.smile

Anyway, reading a post by another member about floaty dresses being a better option than cropped trousers, made me think..........

And having had a think, I now have a question. Apart from the obvious extra hassle of having to shave one's legs (yes, I know it's not compulsory, but there are limits) I was wondering about the (ahem) "thigh" issue blush

I am of course asking for a friend, who is slightly concerned about sweating and possible chafing in that area.

She did also express some concerns about whether the thighs might make some sort of noise, perhaps "squeaking" or some such, as they came into contact.

She did briefly (ha ha, pun!) wonder if there was some sort of modern equivalent of bloomers, or directoire knickers, so I thought I would ask you lot for you advice on undergarments for dresses/skirts in hot weather.

MiniMama Tue 20-Jun-17 12:09:20

Marks ans Spark
Light Control Sheer Shaping Thigh Slimmer
Product code: 05688630- not heavy very light and do the job perfectly- my thighs are red raw if I wear dresses- so for a summer wedding these really worked. Am about th collect another pair!?

icanhandthemback Tue 20-Jun-17 12:24:34

You can buy Short style pants now. They are very comfortable.

luluaugust Tue 20-Jun-17 13:01:40

I am sure your friend needs the Directoire knickers so beloved of my granny!

Rosiebee Tue 20-Jun-17 13:04:06

When I was working as a teacher my classroom was like an oven in warm weather. Lots of glass and windows that only opened partially plus 30 sweaty children. I always wore skirts but as soon as I came home, off came the knickers and the relief was immediate. Not something I could really do at school though. Nowadays I live in cotton crops in summer, much more relaxing but have noted ideas on anti chafing.sunshine

TLVgran48 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:32:04

My boobs are smallish, but sitting working at the computer all day leaves my underboob zone chafing - a dermatologist suggested Weleda's Calendula cream for babies, and it works like a charm, I smooth some on in the day and at bedtime. Works wonders!

Misha14 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:53:59

Long loose skirts and no knickers? That's what women used to wear. Knickers, as we know them, are a fairly modern invention.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 20-Jun-17 14:39:28

French knickers as others have suggested and preferably in silk. If you sew, you can make a pair easily and cheaply, and patterns for chemise and French knickers should be available from Burda or some other firm that prints dressmaking patterns. Otherwise unpick an old pair of thin summer shorts and use as pattern.

If chafing is still a problem, (French knickers are cooler than briefs, so hopefully it won't be) what about three-quarter length leggings? Preferably in 100% cotton.

lesley4357 Tue 20-Jun-17 14:49:00

It's called 'chub rub ' in our house and is counter-acted with baby powder on the inner thighs!

willia Tue 20-Jun-17 15:03:01

I got Sloggi long leg on Ebay 12.99 free postage, came from Flowerbags. uk - they are exactly what I wanted...pure cotton as well....M&S sell long leg panties in their 'traditional' range but they are rather thick and too stretchy.

Kittycat Tue 20-Jun-17 15:41:34

Evans- bit like tights with legs cut off half way up thigh. Come in black, white and flesh colours. Can wear with no pants as cotton gusset.

TriciaF Tue 20-Jun-17 16:12:08

Misha that's what I was getting at.
We need to air our "bits" in hot weather. When I wore tights I used to cut out the gusset.

libra10 Tue 20-Jun-17 16:17:38

Talking about knickers, I bought some 'very cheap' basic black ones today at Southport market. They were £8 for 6 pairs. They're about three times this much at M and S.

JackyB Tue 20-Jun-17 16:35:47

I couldn't possibly go without knickers especially in hot weather! Im always scared of leaks. And why is silk supposed to be cool? When I tried a silk blouse once, I found it as sticky as nylon, and it creases up something awful.

pollyperkins Tue 20-Jun-17 17:54:43

I agee with both comments Jackie b! When I worked I used to wear skirts and got bad chafing in inner thighs in hot weather. I used to soothe with vaselune and use talc as a preventative measure. Now I almost always wear trousers Id forgotten about the problem.
I could never go knickerless! (Just understood the Nicholas comment!)

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 20-Jun-17 17:59:18

Well, I've done it. I'm knickerless! shock

I do have a floaty cotton skirt on though and I can't remember when I last wore a skirt! grin

mimiro Tue 20-Jun-17 18:10:08

dont know what you would call them but french panties(call them tap pants here) come in a very thin cotton knit(think the thinnest oldest tshirt)i wear these with skirts loose but cover up the required parts.live in a place that is hot (35c+ 9 months of the year)they have cotton gusset.
they also come in poly and silk and probably any other fabric there is.
styles vary too so you can chose.granny pantys with a wide leg.

rosesarered Tue 20-Jun-17 18:17:31

I can imagine being 'knickerless' ( or Nicholas) may feel free ( never occurred to me before) but not on a breezy day! grin
I'm not slim at all these days, but don't experience chafing, so am confused
Just off to put a long cool cotton nightshirt on......hope there are no visitors later.

granto2 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:24:06

Oh Phoenix this post brought back memories of a holiday in Ibiza where it was really hot so I decided to wear a dress completely forgetting about my chubby thighs, half way through my walk I had to get some talc and hide behind a wall to pat it on my now well chafed thighs, I spent the rest of the day looking like I had just got off a horse?. I now wear M&S long legs underwear, still a bit warm but no horsey images.

Mary594 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:33:48

I'm having trouble finding floaty dress that are not too heavy I've just gone 10 rounds with a couple of Joe Browns that have a tight long nylon vest underneath I would probably pass out from the heat and defeats the floaty being cool the dresses are lovely but too see through to wear without. I have tried 9 by Savannah Miller that was the best one but not ideal.
I've also tried Preen from Debenhams Julian McDonald one from warehouse again too heavy but gorgeous the Preen is gorgeous too but a bit too dressy. The problem is when you have to have sleeves as well it cuts the choice down anyone got any ideas please.

Norah Tue 20-Jun-17 18:47:22

Old fashion tap pants knickers are the least likely to cause me to be hot and sweaty.

willsmadnan Tue 20-Jun-17 20:15:22

I used to be quite happy in my slimmer days with shortie pyjamas.... but having dug a pair out of the forgotten clothing drawer due to this warmer weather I awoke in the middle of the night to find my thighs glued together shock.In my youth(whenever that was)DOH always insisted on buying me M&S lingerie, which included French knickers. Well, whether my nethers were the wrong shape, or I'd had too many episiotomies (TMI) but they killed me. And, oh joy, I had a new pair under the Christmas tree every year.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Jun-17 20:20:36

kooklafan it was lovely and cool in the supermarket today; I stayed in there longer than I meant to

phoenix Tue 20-Jun-17 20:47:49

allule the skirt may stay away from your legs, but do your legs stay away from each other? (IYSWIM)

threexnanny Tue 20-Jun-17 21:33:25

Any creams meant for a baby's bottom will work well under boobs or on thighs. Deodorant on the thin skin under breast sounds a bit harsh.

Nannytanny Tue 20-Jun-17 22:29:45

I'd just love to be tall enough to wear a long floaty dress....knee high to the grasshopper/vertically challenged...but if I ever so could, I'd go commando, and if there was the thigh rubbing/squeaking scenario that ensued, I think I'd go for the boxer shorts as talc is such a no no....lucky you can go with the flow though Phoenix, I NEVER wear shorts/trousers/leggings/jeggings...skirts are so rare these days I have worn some older than my grown up children recently, suitably attired in public underneath, but as soon as I get home the commando in me takes over...much to my partners delight!
Do wear whatever floats those dresses your so lucky to be able to, some of us have to make do with Junior 'fashion'to fit....besides,if your in your own comfort zone, who is actually going to check what your wearing underneath?
I've a feeling some 'longer length' knickers could cause a little sweating and unwelcome uncomfortable situations...try everything at least once though.