Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

£50 to spend in a Garden Centre :)

(28 Posts)
Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:03:47

I don't have a big garden space.

At the front we have about 15' x 15' ground cover low growng conifers, ferns, hostas, Pink Japanese Anenome. Little soil to see and what there is, is covered with draining membrane and bark chippings. There is a bird bath.
The front door has a 3' pink flowering fuschia shrub in a pot and a nicely shaped conifer in a pot.

At the back it is all patio flagged. Two very large planters have red climbing roses on the garage wall, with garden peas growing through them. There are 3 quite large fruit trees (2 apple and 1 plum). The trees have 'things of interest' hanging all year round, coloured glass set in lead, etc. There are 6 hanging baskets with flowers, and one hanging tumbler tomato plant.
And a big hosta in a pot at the back door. Lots of ivy on walls. There is an all year wooden bench and once the garden table and chairs are out it's like an outdoor room, certainly no space to kick a ball about except for the driveway. Practically everything is growing on a wall or hanging.
I potted up the baskets myself and my garden is pretty much set up for the summer.

This week I was given a gift of £50 vouchers for our beautiful local garden centre. If I didn't already have my baskets I'd probably buy their much more advanced flowering hanging baskets. The sound of water is bliss to me but there isn't much space and they are very expensive.

I have rambled on a bit, sorry.

We could of course have several lunches and there is a home and gift section with throws, kitchenware, chutneys, jams.

But before it just goes in dribs and drabs I wondered would anyone have any ideas for something a little different that would be within the £50 budget. Has anyone got something in or for their garden that they just love to bits.

Thank you for sticking with me this far smile

Coolgran65 Sat 24-Jun-17 16:45:51

Alima - gorgeous wind spinner.

shysal - I think it is the same spinner. Mine also has a crackle globe that changes colour. The stake separates to make it shorter if wished. And it was around the same price.

Norah Sat 24-Jun-17 16:05:53

Alima your spinner is lovely. I have been looking for a blue colour, may now switch to lime.

rosesarered Sat 24-Jun-17 15:06:16

Went with DH this morning to the local garden centre, he had vouchers for Fathers Day to spend, guess what he bought?
A garden fork,
Gardening gloves,
2 bags of slate chippings.

( think of all the nice things he could have bought! )

Alima Sat 24-Jun-17 11:04:45

I love watching wind spinners, find them mesmerising. Yours looks a lovely addition to your garden Coolgran. The one in our garden was bought for us by our neighbour when she was on holiday in New Zealand. (They had to cut the stake in half to fit it in her suitcase and welded it back when they got home. All I had done was feed her cats!)

Auntieflo Sat 24-Jun-17 09:36:26

Coolgran, your wind spinner looks wonderful, I am now envy, and seriously thinking that we need an addition to our garden. Enjoy .

shysal Sat 24-Jun-17 09:35:53

After making the suggestion, Coolgran, I ordered one for myself from Ebay. It is similar to yours with a light globe, but I think possibly smaller. Glad you are pleased with yours.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Garden-Spiro-Wind-Spinner-with-Solar-Crackle-Ball/272534119454?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Coolgran65 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:57:27

Thanks all. It looks better than the pictures. I hadn't time to choose a nice shot properly as we were in a hurry out.

kittylester Fri 23-Jun-17 20:24:13

Lovely, coolgran.

roses we keep our water feature switched on unless it's very windy and enjoy watching the birds from the kitchen.

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:03:51

ps stylish is the word I meant to use

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:03:27

Lovely and they look so modern!! I like them very much.

rosesarered Fri 23-Jun-17 19:15:59

Good choice Coolgran they look good.smile

Coolgran65 Fri 23-Jun-17 19:03:08

Yaayy... DH and I had a lovely potter around the Garden Centre.
We bought a Duet Wind Spinner similar to the link provided in sysal's last post. It is in a big tub along with the bay shrub. Pics don't do justice. It looks fabulous, has a solar light in the centre.

Also a beautiful wooden bird feeder that hangs from the apple tree.

The water features that I likes were madly expensive and are for another time.

Thank you everyone.

rosesarered Thu 22-Jun-17 14:33:03

Definitely a water feature.We turn it on when hot outside for a cooling burbling sound, and bees drink from it.So do wasps, but we don't mind.

shysal Thu 22-Jun-17 09:39:15

There are some lovely mobile sculptures around. I think I spotted one in a photo gillybob posted of her garden. Some of them are quite eye-catching. Most are very expensive but here is a lower-priced example:

www.proidee.co.uk/?P=200214154&H=gs_pi_uk_pool_cs

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 23:56:57

Nellie, I have no space left for plants, not an inch. Hence some of my hanging baskets are on the fruit trees. And my garden peas are growing in the massive tubs with the climbing roses. Means I can't use spray to fight the greenfly.

And yes, the big irises are so beautiful and stately. I saw some fabulous yellow ones flushed with pink in NW USA, they were def baking in the sun.

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Jun-17 23:33:30

Buy more plants. I want some of those Iris'sthat like baking in the sun I have just the place for them.

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 23:01:10

Ah, but it is a boring bird bath. Who knows what might be available. Something quirky...a bit different.

annsixty Wed 21-Jun-17 21:20:36

Sorry I see you have a bird bath. As you were!!!.

annsixty Wed 21-Jun-17 21:19:19

I visit a friend who has a bird bath in the middle of her lawn. It is too high for cats from the ground and isolated from shrubs and fences. It is a joy to observe. That is where my money would go.

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 21:16:56

I love cats and had a stone cat for some years until it lost it's head - literally.

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 21:15:45

Iso love my garden.
Already have a bird bath but if I saw something unusual I could be persuaded.
Space is getting tight for more big pots, though I could perhaps replace an old one, there's an idea.

The water really appeals to me. And I did somewhere see a solar powered feature. It's quite a big garden centre and likely to have a modest water feature as well as the bigger/more expensive ones on their web site.
Nice simple lines would be nice, a bubbling mill stone perhaps.

ooooh.... I think I'm getting excited... water smile

shysal Wed 21-Jun-17 21:12:15

You could buy some solar powered fancy lights to stick in your pots. I have some mosaic effect globes which can be colour changing or white light.

Bird feeder is a good idea.

My most used item in the garden at the moment is a maximum/minimum thermometer which hangs in the shade. The addition of a bug hotel would probably make up the full value. I enjoy watching the solitary bees popping in and out filling up the holes.

Enjoy spending your vouchers!

merlotgran Wed 21-Jun-17 20:54:56

What a lovely dilemma.

I still haven't spent my birthday vouchers. I quite fancy a solar powered water feature but (on another thread) I've been 'umming and aaahing about a pizza oven.

You can't go wrong with lovely large terracotta pots either.

I'm always tempted to add to the value of vouchers because it's so enjoyable having a good spend up. grin

Alima Wed 21-Jun-17 20:48:41

Meet Jessiecat, bought from a local garden centre 3 or 4 years ago for £36. As well as being a constant reminder of her namesake she did a wonderful job preventing the fence from being blown down by wedging the arbour in place. Of course if you don't like cats a bird feeder would be possible.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:44:05

The baskets would have been lovely but I would put it towards something that lasts.

Some water features are very small and it is lovely to have the sound of water in the garden.
Or bird feeders/a bath to give hours of pleasure.
Or a really nice shrub, in a nice pot perhaps, if you have room. I like my callistemon, it reminds me of Australia and the 'brushes' are just coming out at the moment.