Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Glastonbury

(52 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 23-Jun-17 19:47:22

Anyone watching Glasto?smile

Chrissie Hynde(65) is looking and sounding good!

Jalima1108 Mon 26-Jun-17 13:21:04

That was on the news djen (perhaps it was just the local news), showing Michael Eavis with David Beckham who planted a tree.

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 13:11:19

Michael Eavis a strong Corbyn supporter has done so much good, it is difficult to underplay it.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 13:01:57

This is excellent news.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/glastonbury-makes-maggies-farm-work/

paddyann Mon 26-Jun-17 01:14:05

haven't seen anyone that wasn't worth watching this year ,loved the Foo Fighters last night a brilliant set ,enjoyed Biffy Clyro and Emilie Sande today only saw a wee bit of Barry Gibb but he seemed to get a good reception from the crowd,Nile Rogers and Chic were great and I enjoyed Ed Sheerin and recorded it for my 10 year old GD who thinks the sun rises and sets on him ,would have liked if Paolo Nutini had been back his set last year was magic .

Grannyknot Sun 25-Jun-17 20:36:42

Thanks merlot.

merlotgran Sun 25-Jun-17 20:33:16

Yes she is, Jalima. My mother had some tickets from her OAP's club a few years ago and wanted someone to go with her. I thought I'd be bored but she was really good.

Jalima1108 Sun 25-Jun-17 20:27:45

is, not was!!

Jalima1108 Sun 25-Jun-17 20:25:49

I have seen Helen Shapiro live merlotgran, years after her hits. She was a terrific jazz singer, just brilliant!

merlotgran Sun 25-Jun-17 20:02:37

It's Mark Radcliffe

suzied Sun 25-Jun-17 19:50:18

Loved Barry Gibb, forgotten they did so many great tunes to get people on the dance floor. Don't know who the male commentator is, my OH thought it was Chris Packham!

DanniRae Sun 25-Jun-17 19:46:00

I agree Grannyknot - really loved him too. Also loved how much the crowd were enjoying him!!

Grannyknot Sun 25-Jun-17 19:35:14

His voice [darn autocorrect]

Grannyknot Sun 25-Jun-17 19:34:40

Loved Barry Gibb's set, even if he's voice is going... grin

Who is the man commentating with Lauren Laverne please?

MissAdventure Sun 25-Jun-17 16:45:37

I had always thought the Foo Fighters weren't really my cup of tea, but my daughter and I were absolutely transfixed, watching Dave Grohl last night. What a man! What a voice! blush

Pittcity Sun 25-Jun-17 13:10:29

I was out seeing ELO at Wembley last night (they've still got it!) and am looking forward to catching up on Royal Blood and the Foos this afternoon. I love watching on TV but love my comforts too much to go.

merlotgran Sun 25-Jun-17 09:37:16

Menopaws, Your post reminds me of a short break we had at a Warner Leisure hotel.

The weather was terrible so they laid on indoor entertainment which largely consisted of being force fed piped music from the Cliff Richard, Helen Shapiro era.

We were amused to hear a man on the next table stop a waitress and implore, 'I'm sick of this bloody rubbish. Can't we have some Thin Lizzie?'

We got it! grin

Menopaws Sun 25-Jun-17 07:04:16

These posts are telling me that when we are all in our retirement homes the range of music will be brilliant and not the Vera lynn era now played. NO disrespect to Vera Lynn or the war generation at all, I work with them and hear the stories that make my skin tingle with pride but I am now convinced by reading your music choices that it will be great when I get to that stage. Yes I love Foo fighters and all rock and my husband loves Christie H

mimiro Sat 24-Jun-17 22:47:16

damn wont play over hereenvy
wait youtube is putting them up pretty fast yea!grin

merlotgran Sat 24-Jun-17 22:45:07

I've been quite disappointed so far. The Nationals had me reaching for the remote.

DS was a huge Nirvana fan.

gillybob Sat 24-Jun-17 22:44:31

I saw so many great bands and artists when I was young kitty as my dad loves music and he always took me along . Some I didn't appreciate at the time, but now feel so happy to have seen.

Tegan2 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:37:37

I've never really 'got' Too Fighters. Loved Nirvana. Thought Liam Gallagher was good. Hope I see a new favorite band this year, but it hasn't happened yet.

merlotgran Sat 24-Jun-17 22:05:13

Dave Grohl's certainly got a good set of pipes on him.

Willow500 Sat 24-Jun-17 21:24:36

Just watched Royal Blood on iPlayer - seriously good - how 2 guys can make such an amazing sound is incredible!

shysal Sat 24-Jun-17 19:18:50

Riverwalk, The GSs who are going this year are 17 and 15, the 13 year old didn't want to go, so is having quality time with his Mum visiting the Spinacre Tower. The oldest has been with his Dad and Uncle for the last few years. They all play electric guitar so like the rock groups. One year they did litter picking duty and had the use of proper showers which was good. Other years they hired a VW camper van which had featured in a children's TV programme (can't remember the name) and found themselves surrounded by kids! This year they are under canvas for the first time, so I am pleased that the weather is being kind to them.
I gather that next year is a fallow year and there will be a new venue in 2019, so this will be the last of its kind.

kittylester Sat 24-Jun-17 18:14:14

Don't tell me that gilly! envysad