Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Microwave/grill

(11 Posts)
Purpledaffodil Mon 26-Jun-17 20:55:20

I have a Panasonic with a grill and find it very useful. There is a setting for jacket potatoes where you put them on the metal rack and they are cooked and a little bit crisped in 10 minutes or so.
I just store the stand in the microwave and take it out if not needed, although you can microwave with it in as well.

Elegran Mon 26-Jun-17 20:38:48

I think it must be treated in some way to make it usable - otherwise they wouldn't tell you to use it. Mine worked OK, but I found the rack a nuisance to store. It is very big.

hulahoop Mon 26-Jun-17 20:23:20

Yes it does but I don't understand how you can use metal stand when microwaving . That was very kind of you elegran thank you . I think I will just not use combined cooking and just microwave first without rack then use grill . Thanks to all for replies never seems to amaze me how we help each other on gransnet .

Elegran Mon 26-Jun-17 18:17:30

hulahoop I have found a manual for a logik combination microwave/grill oven online (Logik L20GS11). On page 15, under "Grill or combination cooking", it says "We recommend that you use the supplied grill racks. Place your food on the grill rack then place on top of the glass turntable plate" Does your manual say that?

Elegran Mon 26-Jun-17 18:11:37

If it is like the Panasonic I used to have, you don't use the stand for microwaving, just to lift the food nearer the grill element if you are grilling or combining microwave and grill. Don't the instructions include guidance on when the stand is used?

aggie Mon 26-Jun-17 17:51:38

I have something similar and it sparked like mad when I accidentally put a large mug in , the mug had a metallic gold coloured rim .I turned it off smartish , I used the grill once but wasn't happy

hulahoop Mon 26-Jun-17 17:43:08

It is a logik Hilda what I don't understand is how stand can be used in it when metal is not supposed to go in microwave the instructions say you can set to microwave and grill without stopping doesn't mention stand do you use stand when mocrowaving I must be thick just don't get it ?

Lisalou Sun 25-Jun-17 20:58:05

I have a microwave/combi oven with grill and i use it all the time, roast chicken (40 mins), lovely and crisp; cupcakes 12 mins! Fish/cottage pie, you name it - marvellous beast. Wouldnt go back to a conventional oven now.

Oh, as well as using it just as a microwave, to heat up drinks, of course!

NanKate Sun 25-Jun-17 18:43:06

I have just bought one too. I used the stand today for toast but it came out rather dry. It was successful though for a toasted tea cake.

I think the combi is for something that might need to be heated in the microwave but needs the top browned such as a cottage pie.

I suspect I will mostly use it as a microwave. It is lovely and quiet.

hildajenniJ Sun 25-Jun-17 18:21:45

I used to have one of those microwave combi ovens. It had a proper metal shelf. I think it was a Panasonic. What make is yours hulahoop?

hulahoop Sun 25-Jun-17 17:04:06

I have just bought microwave /grill combo it as a metal stand for I presume for grill reading instructions reads I can combo cook am a bit confused how I can use stand doing this can anyone explain please .