Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Getting too old climb up ladders to ......

(54 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 28-Jun-17 14:55:58

Just taken my landing window curtains down and washed them, the window is inaccessible unless Hubby either climbs along bannisters or as of today, uses a ladder. I am one of those people who when watching a hospital programme says "what on earth were they doing up a ladder at that age". We have possibily reached 'that' age. What are you supposed to do when you are physically unable to do things like this for yourself? I cant imagine DS or DD coming to take my curtains down and put them back up. We do have vertical blinds up at that window and the controls are within reach, but the blinds really need curtains as well (although perhaps more heavy weight blinds exist). Perhaps, I have answered my own question, but would still be interested in your solutions to such things.

shysal Thu 29-Jun-17 11:04:09

Thanks for the tip Jalima. How old does one have to be for Age Concern? I am a fairly fit 71 but have vertigo, polymyalgia(nearly gone) and an old shoulder injury.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Jun-17 11:06:05

I thought you were younger shysal but yes, I would have thought 71 would qualify.

I think normal rates apply but they are approved so would not 'rip you off'.

www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/home-safety-and-security/handyperson-services/

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Jun-17 11:08:32

ps not saying that you are old shock

M0nica Thu 29-Jun-17 14:09:57

shysalwhy wouldn't you ask for help from the family, especially as they are willing to help?

I think false pride about not admitting you cannot manage something is ridiculous. I am OK at present, but will willingly ask for help when I need it. I already ask my children for assistance in all kinds of ways, where I have problems which are not aging related, why act differently if my problems become aging related?

Tizliz Thu 29-Jun-17 14:22:01

We have a social enterprise organisation here and one area they cover is 'housing related services' for older people. I think they provide the labour and you pay for the materials. It is for those odd jobs that you cannot do anymore like fitting curtain rails or replacing Tap washers or smoke alarm batteries.

overthehill Thu 29-Jun-17 15:48:33

Coincidently we had friends round last night. He is a fit 71 year old ex-builder who had a gardening job. That was until recently when he was on the top platform of a step ladder(not advisable) and it gave way and he crashed to the ground. No permanent injury but he's given up the job now.
My DH still goes up the ladder to clean our windows, he's 73 but won't hear of giving up. God forbid he has an accident, but then I suppose he would give up.

shysal Thu 29-Jun-17 16:48:05

M0nica, I have always been, and still am, the one who helps my DDs, rather than the other way round, especially the one who is now a single mother of three. She has such a busy life working and just providing a taxi service for the kids. I offer all the time to help but she often doesn't accept unless there is a clash. Perhaps it is a family trait to try to be independent. If I am at her house keeping an eye on the youngest GS I always go armed with gardening and/or decorating tools for non-ladder jobs to stop me getting bored, for which I know she is grateful! I would rather pay for help myself than impose on the DDs. They tell me I am difficult to help blush.

Persistentdonor Fri 30-Jun-17 10:22:18

Years ago I had a window high on the stairs wall. It was opposite a neighbour's similar window, so technically I suppose they could have looked into my house, but I didn't want curtains or a blind.
The solution was a home crafted interior double glazing, using a double wood frame sandwiching some clear perspex that had a colourful design painted on it. (Parrots.)smile
Ticked all the boxes for me. Pretty. Let light in. Obscured the view. Perfect!!

radicalnan Fri 30-Jun-17 10:25:20

You can get stick on sheets that make lovely stained glass effects and just peel off when you want a change.........

Kim19 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:30:07

Do you have a local 'Handyman' Kateycrunch? We have built up a great rapport with ours and he will even pop in for the tiniest of jobs and charges us proportionately of his hourly rate. Agewise, we have a council system called 'Care & repair'. The routine is that an eligible household pays an annual fee (think currently £24??) and can call out the team as often as needed. If the job requested is too 'skill required' then the team will direct the member to an appropriate tradesperson. It used to be a 'give a donation' service but that made people uncomfortable, thus the change. Either or both of these services may be available in your area. Local library or council office for advice, perhaps?

HannahLoisLuke Fri 30-Jun-17 11:40:50

On the subject of opaque glass, isn't there a glass which is see through from the inside but opaque or mirrored from the outside? I'm sure I've seen it on a home refurb programme. Seems ideal for sitting in the bath whilst admiring the view!

Newquay Fri 30-Jun-17 11:57:03

DH, 72, was in hospital recently for THR. Got talking to a lady visiting her husband in plaster from toes to knee-he'd just had surgery (again!). I asked if it affected his work, she said no but it's ruined our retirement as he's now so badly affected he can't do anything and she had asked him not to climb a ladder in the garden.
I forbade DH some years ago from climbing for that very reason.

LuckyDucky Fri 30-Jun-17 12:00:01

marydol, we have a ladder which we've put up onto the stairs; leaving us a 6' long level platform on which to paste or paint Past tense now, as we both have dodgy right knees. Will have to ask our two sons for help. Never done so far.

Stella14 Fri 30-Jun-17 12:00:29

I am not comfortable with my hubby (aged 64 this year) going high up a ladder outside the house (thankfully, he has listened to my concerns and doesn't do it). My concern stems from a career as a Psychologist in the NHS. I worked with several people over the years who were suffering from PTSD, having witnessed a fall from a ladder where the head of the faller smashed against the ground, essentially the brain often begins to seep out through the ears and nose. These cases have all involved trained tradesmen, usually (although not always) in their 50s and 60s, the observer being their apprentice. Certainly when it comes to working on the eves or roof of a house, in my opinion, it should be left to the experts with training, experience and the correct equipment. So many people of all ages are full of bravado about working high on their homes themselves. That's all great until they put a foot wrong, or the ladder slips.

goldengirl Fri 30-Jun-17 12:06:15

I have problems going upstairs, let alone a ladder! DH goes up the loft ladder and I don't watch when he uses a step ladder - luckily not too often. I do use a step stool to get something out of the cupboard but cling on to the shelf like grim death. Getting down and washing or changing curtains?? Sorry folks, I must be really mucky because the thought has never crossed my mind shock

Theoddbird Fri 30-Jun-17 12:44:24

If the window is that high up surely nobody can see through it so I would not put curtains there...I would enjoy the extra light it brought into the house.

TriciaF Fri 30-Jun-17 14:24:35

goldengirl I love your post grin (just like me.)

VIOLETTE Fri 30-Jun-17 14:38:24

Still climb ladders ...admit hate it !! When we moved into our bungalow I did suggest that since this was meant to be a retirement home, that we put easy to maintain things in place (as in not too much gardening, easy to reach ceiling lights, etc etc ...asin the rise n fall ones we had in a different house, and other things ) however, husband was 'only' 75 when we moved here, and still climbing on the roof, the shed, everywhere it was possible to use the highest ladder possible ,,cutting high trees, etc ...now he is 84, having had two strokes, lost most vision in one eye, has Parkinsond diseas and vasculair dementia ....so ! where was he yesterday > Up a ladder fixing a piece of dry rot on top of the pergola in the garden .....despite being told by the doc no ladders no electrical power tools (been cutting wood this morning with a power saw) ....no climbing, no drinking ....he takes no notice whatever ! I have managed to break my femur falling off a small step ladder by missing the last step ...but I still have to change the curtains spring and winter on quite high poles ....all I really wish is that he had not installed down lighters in the ceilings and that we could have the smoke alarms at a lower level !......like you, I cannot find an odd job man ! and I think my husband has a death wish ! Just this morning coming back from another errand for him to the DIY shop and ambulance passed me, blue lights flashing .....I always expect to get home and for a neighbour to tell me they called an ambulance when he fell off the roof ......he was ok when I got back, just completely exhausted, shaking and with no balance, having been lugging heavey wooden panels about ...he is also currently replacing the front fence, planning wood, varnishing it, cutting it with the power saw, ,,,,I found someone who could come and do the work but he refuses to let me get him in ......I despair ! sad

Llamedos13 Fri 30-Jun-17 16:56:05

If I had a window that was too dodgy to reach from a ladder I would have blinds installed that work using a remote control,problem solved.

Marydoll Fri 30-Jun-17 17:48:21

Violette I totally sympathize with you. flowersI used to do everything, but rheumatoid arthritis has put paid to that. I think it is hard for my husband to accept he is not as fit as he used to do and will not let me get anyone in. However, after spending two days( so far) decorating hall and stairs, he has agreed to get someone in to decorate the lounge. What a relief.

ellenemery Fri 30-Jun-17 20:49:13

Only in my early sixties but arthritis is causing me so many problems I can hardly climb the stairs. I cannot bend from the hip to even do up the Velcro on my trainers and shoes. I had my first hip replacement at the age of 50 and due to walking lopsided even my plastic hip is now causing me problems. I would love to be able to get my curtains down or wipe the skirting but they will have to stay the way they are.

Stansgran Fri 30-Jun-17 20:51:47

DH kept getting up,throwing open the window and saying listen to that gutter overflowing it's keeping me awake. This was the night before last when it was pouring down. First thing in the morning he said he would have to get the ladder out and have a look. First thing I did was phonE our local handyman who came and sorted it out with DH holding the ladder and the drills etc. Such a relief as he still thinks he can climb over the roof at 73.

Diddy1 Fri 30-Jun-17 23:34:20

I have a little step stool for reaching into high cupboards, if I am on my own and need something, we live in a bungalow so I dont need to climb up ladders thankfully.

Skweek1 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:48:14

I can't even reach to change a light bulb, and have been terrified of ladders ever since I was a kid, so DS has to use the step ladder to do this job. Goodness knows how I'll cope when he eventually moves out!

goldengirl Sat 01-Jul-17 11:03:37

ellenemery a digression. Have you tried contacting an orthotist re having your shoe raised to give you a more even gait? I found that walking lopsided gave me severe back pain eventually but now - although I've had to learn to balance again - life is so much improved.