Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Getting too old climb up ladders to ......

(54 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 28-Jun-17 14:55:58

Just taken my landing window curtains down and washed them, the window is inaccessible unless Hubby either climbs along bannisters or as of today, uses a ladder. I am one of those people who when watching a hospital programme says "what on earth were they doing up a ladder at that age". We have possibily reached 'that' age. What are you supposed to do when you are physically unable to do things like this for yourself? I cant imagine DS or DD coming to take my curtains down and put them back up. We do have vertical blinds up at that window and the controls are within reach, but the blinds really need curtains as well (although perhaps more heavy weight blinds exist). Perhaps, I have answered my own question, but would still be interested in your solutions to such things.

petra Sun 02-Jul-17 15:18:00

Something wrong here.
We are still the ones doing the children's decorating. I'm 70 OH is 68.

funstr Tue 04-Jul-17 09:38:32

travelsafar. i'm no longer able due to poor health, becoming disabled. i always did everything by self so found frustrating no longer able to garden, cut back and tie in climbing plants over arches, cut hedges etc. didnt want to get rid of plants and have garden paved concrete jungle as some of houses in road have. really enjoy sitting in window watching birds, bees, butterflies. a few of the climbers were established, aprox 30 - 40 years old, and others added by self when we moved into house. they are over 25 years old. we have a variety of birds that use them for nesting, feeding etc from small wrens and tits up to blackbirds. our council runs a diy/gardening service for disabled/elderly with vetted staff. cost depends upon job and you can book by hour, 1/2 day of full day. also you can pay by installments. used for 1st time last year. a lot cheaper than quotes i had from other companies. a lovely man and apprentice came, cut all my hedges, pruned trees, tidied up climbers etc. no mess, took all cuttings etc away with them. took them 2 full days, they only stopped for a very quick cuppa. i was watching through window. they then checked happy with work. both really cheerful. so impressed booked to have several other diy tasks involving ladders. they were willing to do anything diy, gardening, decorating, repair fences, patios, fit doors, change light bulbs,fitt blinds, curtain poles, clean guttering. i believe age concern also have similar scheme.

travelsafar Sat 08-Jul-17 07:39:19

funstr thanks for the info, i will certainly look into this and see if my housing association runs a similar scheme.