Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A gift for the hostess. Ideas please?

(48 Posts)
ladytina42 Tue 04-Jul-17 18:04:09

Hi
I am going to a do on Saturday and I would like to rake a gift for the hostess who I don't know terribly well. I gave a budget of £10-15 but don't want to give the usual wine, chocolates or flowers. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

Imperfect27 Mon 10-Jul-17 18:56:43

I don't know about anyone else, but after all these suggestions I really am curious to know what OP decided in the end ... and ... I hope you had a great evening! smile

Hm999 Fri 07-Jul-17 21:38:31

Plant for the garden? A garden plant that smells nice? Lavender is a small present but lovely

Nana3 Thu 06-Jul-17 23:02:39

Years ago a friend came to dinner and she bought me a lovely pen, I keep it hidden from OH behind the clock and I use it lots. I love it.

Tessa101 Thu 06-Jul-17 22:00:09

I'm with the scented candles and they come in lovely jars/ tins boxes etc

Caro1954 Thu 06-Jul-17 20:25:59

Kim19 - love your idea!

pamdixon Thu 06-Jul-17 20:18:58

Cath kidston do the loveliest hand creams - I'd go for those (you can get a box of little hand bag sized ones) - even better if there is a sale on...........

willa45 Thu 06-Jul-17 17:10:13

Whenever I visit someone's house (for the first time) I try to find something in the way of a keepsake. The last such occasion was in 2016. I found a small candy dish (small bowl actually) made by Lennox. It was elegantly boxed and on sale at Macy's... I paid fifteen (American) dollars for it.

Even small gifts will do when they are meaningful, well thought out and well presented. I've given (silver plated) collectors spoons, dinner bells (crystal, silver, china etc.), picture frames, an hourglass, napkin holders, embroidered napkins, scented candles etc. Hope this helps.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 06-Jul-17 17:08:44

Is the invitation for a celebration of something or just as you say 'a do'? If it were me, to cover any event, £10 /£15 will get you a decent bottle of wine.Don't go supermarket but a 'Wine Cellar'who will advise you. Or why not wait until after the event and have a floral arrangement delivered to her.If she has had flowers on the day I am sure she would appreciate this 'after' gift as a token of your appreciation for a lovely day/evening what ever.

W11girl Thu 06-Jul-17 16:21:06

I would welcome the cooking oils. So useful! What a nice idea. I have noted it down for my next event! Thank you.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 06-Jul-17 15:12:20

Why not a couple of candles and a packet of paper napkins in a colour that matches the candles?

It is probably wisest to stay off any present that is scented, when buying for people you don't know. If they have allergies anything with perfume can be the very gift they would rather not have.

Cagsy Thu 06-Jul-17 14:29:56

TKMaxx are brilliant for looking for this kind of gift, flavoured oils, loads of candles, gorgeous boxes of all shapes and sizes for keepsakes/cards etc, nice glasses & kitchen ware, I love it. I think you can even buy on line if you don't have one nearby - and the prices are great

Sheilasue Thu 06-Jul-17 14:28:06

A scented candle would be nice.

Norah Thu 06-Jul-17 14:13:57

Posh local food or recipe collection. Cheese, chutney, pesto, Greek olives, French walnut oil.

GranVee Thu 06-Jul-17 13:58:22

If you take an orchid make sure she likes them if they have fragrance. I can't stand the smell.

Diggingdoris Thu 06-Jul-17 13:09:15

Go and have a look round your local delicatessen. You should find unusual things there with a wide range of prices.

Tizliz Thu 06-Jul-17 12:40:14

I was given a box of tea, which I really liked. It is nice that a guest has put some thought into a gift and not just a box of chocolate

schnackie Thu 06-Jul-17 12:00:23

I would love to receive the flavoured olive oils! She clearly likes to cook!

JackyB Thu 06-Jul-17 11:37:35

If you find a nice tray (can be very cheap) or basket, you can fill it with exotic fruits and then wrap round in transparent gift wrap. It looks very impressive - I got some "wow"s when I took something like that to a dinner invitation once. It doubled as a dessert course, too.

FlorenceFlower Thu 06-Jul-17 11:27:41

Flowers/planting some description. If they have a garden, potted white hydrangea or similar. These look good indoors, and can be planted out if wanted. Have a lovely day. ?

Pinkshoes26 Thu 06-Jul-17 11:24:07

Can you sew or knit? Last Christmas I gave out 12 home crafted fully lined peg bags with a box of chocs in. On the front of x4 I hanged a home made sequined snow man.

For the last x2 weeks I have been visiting a lady in ress bite care. I take garden flowers in a water container. The first container was a Heinz small bottle and the 2nd a coffee jar. The containers are sometimes covered with coloured packing paper or ribbon round and a flower card stuck on the front.

morningdew Thu 06-Jul-17 11:20:16

what about a nice set of 4 drinking or wine glasses boxed

JanaNana Thu 06-Jul-17 11:12:18

How about creating your own flower arrangement of fresh flowers either from your own garden or mixing with a few fresh flowers you have bought. All florists sell the oasis , and you can buy suitable containers really cheaply in some of the bargain shops. I have done this lots of times and has been well received. Everone can do this ....florists make it look hard but it is"nt.... just keep turning the display so you have an even balance. She won,t need to find a vase and can just keep topping up the water in the oasis regurlarly to keep the flowers going . I have reached an age when the gifts I enjoy receiving are the ones that can be enjoyed: as in flowers..plants...eatables...and soap/ perfume. I have outgrown the stage of things that need dusting and a permanent place to display them. Decluttering is my favourite word! (PS if you do this the Oasis has to be completely soaked in cold water for a few hours first).

radicalnan Thu 06-Jul-17 11:04:32

Anything posh will do, preserves, candles, oils, soaps.......lush fruits......visit me I love all those things.

Youngeil Thu 06-Jul-17 11:00:20

Have to say I personally would hate scented drawer liners. If you don't know her well stick to something edible - as somebody else says posh biscuits or conserve or even chutney.

Kim19 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:55:42

LadyTina42...... you 'don't know her very well'. You've accepted the invitation. Would you like to get to know her better? If so my suggestion would be an invitation to a prospective lunch. This card would be worded that the 'offer' expires on ---- (couple of months?) which leaves the recipient in a position to ignore or take up. It has worked for me most successfully in the past and hopefully in the future. Enjoy your function whatever you decide. Happy days!