Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm sure we've all done this, so looking for amusing answers.

(55 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Jul-17 16:01:41

To the question "what did I come up here/into here for?

If upstairs,and forgetting what I went there for, I automatically go and have a wee, even though we have a downstairs lavatory.

I'm actually posting this because I found myself upstairs, not a clue what I'd come up for, so gravitated towards the desktop PC blush

I'm sure it will come to me once I'm back downstairs. confused

Bellanonna Wed 12-Jul-17 11:47:52

Teetime I did something very similar yesterday, except not golf related.

Nanny27 Wed 12-Jul-17 10:48:07

Spend hours looking for the glasses that are perched on top of my head!

Teetime Wed 12-Jul-17 10:30:16

Yesterday evening after golf in the pouring rain for two hours I stood by my car ringing wet with water pouring off both myself and the bag of clubs I couldn't get into my car. Couldn't find my keys.I hunted high and low throughout the many pockets on the golf bag and the many pockets on me as I was wearing two pairs of trousers (over ones), under the car everywhere. I had just decided I would need to go round the course to see if I had dropped them when I saw them dangling off my little finger!

DS64till Wed 12-Jul-17 08:00:45

I have a vision of us ladies throughout the UK , going upstairs confidently knowing what we want and then going through a vortex( think Bermuda Triangle) which wipes those very thoughts away . I use it as my exercise for the day as generally, when I get back downstairs I remember what it was for and have to go back up again

felice Tue 11-Jul-17 12:16:36

Reading this and writing a shopping list, just went into the larder to see what I needed, sat down here and forgot what I need. Back I go then.

RosieLeah Tue 11-Jul-17 09:34:03

I'm sure a lot of this so-called absent-mindedness is simply boredom. Housework is very mundane and repetitive and doing the same things time after time causes your mind to wander. I live in a fantasy world most of the time, just to keep my mind active. No harm done, except when I sit down with a cup of coffee and wonder why my guinea pigs are looking resentful and realising that I forgot to put food in their dish.

maddy629 Tue 11-Jul-17 08:20:58

I do this all the time, I'm getting really forgetful.I put my pills in the fridge once and it took me quite a while to find them. I regularly go upstairs and forget why. I too forget my glasses, sometimes for hours at a time smile.

Kim19 Mon 10-Jul-17 19:48:30

Speaking of 'everything blurry' reminds me of thinking that the focus was going on my telly. Then I dusted it!

starlily106 Mon 10-Jul-17 17:26:29

This happens all the time. I go upstairs for something, and come down with something completely different. By the time I go upstairs to get what I wanted originally, I've usually forgotten what it is again. Now I've found that if I close my eyes and stand still for a minute, I remember what I wanted in the first place.

Tessa101 Mon 10-Jul-17 16:39:35

Drove to work when I should have been driving to my DDS only when I got in the car park did I realise what I had done.

Legs55 Mon 10-Jul-17 14:07:42

I've been like this for years so it can't be Dementia, I used to go upstairs & then wonder what I'd gone for. Now I live in a Park Home, 4 rooms no stairs & I can still walk into rooms wondering what I went in forgrin

I've walked into my kitchen several times this morning meaning to get a duster & everytime I've come back without itconfused

As for looking things up on the laptop, I have to write them down or I forget & close it down then remember what I wanted to dogrin

W11girl Mon 10-Jul-17 13:33:21

I tend to retrace my tracks, talking to myself as I go, which usually brings it back to me!

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Jul-17 13:20:17

DD2 used to volunteer in the then extensive wardrobe at the Maddermarket Theatre in Norwich, itself very old and on the site of a ancient monastery - and haunted. If something was lost or mislaid she would stand in the middle of the room ask for it out loud and then leave. The item would then appear, generally on the table, on her return. Everyone did it. She swore it worked!

MiniMouse Mon 10-Jul-17 13:09:35

Icy Yep, that's me, too! blush

Icyalittle Mon 10-Jul-17 13:07:13

I'm a 'but first'. I head off to do one thing 'but first' I need to put something away / find something / mend something / write an email / look up something. By which time I am at the other end of the house, half an hour has passed and I have no idea what I started with. See? At this moment I was supposed to be mending a dress 'but first' I had to look up where I bought the material and ended up here!

Hm999 Mon 10-Jul-17 12:57:33

I try rewind. I go back to where I was before to see if I respark my memory.

boggles Mon 10-Jul-17 12:05:19

NfkDumpling - I like that

JackyB Mon 10-Jul-17 11:51:17

I was driving DS3 to the station once and. out of pure habit, turned off the roundabout at the more usual exit for the supermarket. Time was tight, but fortunately he still caught his train because there is a back access to the platforms on the side of the supermarket.

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Jul-17 11:27:43

I heard that a child remembers everything because there's so little inside his/her memory box. When you get old your memory box is full and if you put something new in one side something else will fall out the other side.

Glosgran Mon 10-Jul-17 11:21:32

My 94 year old Dad has the answer to this problem. You need to get the very newest model of stairlift. It's called the RAPIDE and it gets you to the top of the stairs before you can forget what you went up for.

Juggernaut Mon 10-Jul-17 11:18:08

Yesterday I walked down our drive, got in the car, sat for an hour whilst DH drove to the restaurant where we were meeting extended family. Got out of the car, walked up a path and a flight of steps, and then my cousin said "Why aren't you wearing shoes"?
I was completely barefoot!
I had no choice but to be brazen, so swished around in my full length sundress like the ageing hippy I am inside!
Proof it it were needed that my DH doesn't actually look at me very often, he hadn't noticed?

00mam00 Mon 10-Jul-17 11:11:55

It's always a relief when my DS 38 & DD 40, have 'senior moments' so I know I am not 'loosing it'.

Trouble is with so much of the world at our finger tips, internet, easy interaction with family and friends, being bombarded with information, our brains are constantly multi tasking. I know the answer is to concentrate at all times on the task in hand, but that would be boring, well except for driving. I do sometimes go off on auto pilot and so does DH until the other one asks why did you choose this route?

EVERHOPEFUL I use your technique of returning to the place where I lost the thought and it's still there waiting to drop back into place. It's magic how the brain works sometimes.

SillyNanny321 Mon 10-Jul-17 11:05:06

When this happens to my brother he tells his wife 'its ok it isnt Alzheimers its Sometimers- sometimes i remember & sometimes i forget'! We use this excuse a lot now Lol!!

HootyMcOwlface Mon 10-Jul-17 10:52:52

Flipping heck, I came on the computer to look up a route on Google maps, got distracted with emails, checking my bank balance and Gransnet, etc. Went and shut computer down having done all that without doing what I came on for! I'm always doing that!

VIOLETTE Mon 10-Jul-17 10:42:17

I am sure I have a poltergeist .....things disappear from under my very nose ...I search high and low ..convinced I know where I put them ...not there ...go into different rooms ...not there ...come back to the original place ..HEY presto ! there is the item .......don't tell anybody ..but my husband beats that ..spent ages looking for his glasses, in the end asked me to look...they are on your head .......