Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Damn horsefly bite!

(37 Posts)
phoenix Tue 11-Jul-17 18:28:44

Evening all, hope you and yours are all well, sending good wishes if not.

Walking the bosses dogs yesterday lunchtime, got bitten by a horsefly (I think) on my ankle)

Wasn't too bad at the time, but today I have a fat, red, hot foot. Just very glad I went into work wearing my Birkenstocks, or as Mr P calls them "those lesbian sandals you bought in Munich"

(Although actually, these are replacement ones that my boss had to buy for me, or allowed me to order on the company credit card, after his young dog ate my last pair, but I digress)

I have bought some anti histamine cream and dabbed it on, but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

I know it's hardly life threatening, but any advice would be welcomed. I have been told that applying a used chamomile tea bag is soothing, but as I don't have any, it's not much help!

BBbevan Wed 12-Jul-17 11:18:07

When we went to Skye, all the midges in Scotland were waiting for me at Inverness. I came home looking as if I had chicken pox. Even DH's Germolene didn't help.

Lillie Wed 12-Jul-17 11:23:51

I came home looking as if I had chicken pox.
I agree, it looks horrible, especially if you're fair skinned the bites show up even more. I don't dare try rubbing concealer onto them.

annodomini Wed 12-Jul-17 11:42:05

If I knew the secret I would tell you: the midges, although they annoy me by getting into my eyes, my ears, my hair, my nose, my mouth, don't bite me. They do say that if you eat a lot of Marmite, it puts the insects off, but I don't like Marmite; I prefer the Aussie equivalent, Vegemite, though get through barely two small jars in a year. I once found a tick in an unmentionable place and the GP had a good laugh. The moral of that was, don't crouch down for a pee among head-high bracken.

annodomini Wed 12-Jul-17 11:46:18

MTW, I have found a small tube of 1% steroid cream sold for insect bite relief. Why? Anti-histamine cream is adequate for nettle stings, surely also for insect bites.

annodomini Wed 12-Jul-17 11:46:40

BTW

Tizliz Wed 12-Jul-17 13:21:53

annodomini I also find they don't bite me, though they are annoying.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Jul-17 10:20:14

Anthisan first of all, followed by anti-histamine tablets (Clarityn is my choice) and Fucidin cream if the Anthisan doesn't work.
I shall be taking a suitcase full with me when I go overseas as everything in the insect world loves biting me!

Tried Marmight, Vitamin B tablets, garlic capsules, yeast tablets etc etc but none of them work, I still get attacked.

Gagagran Thu 13-Jul-17 10:40:33

Me too Jalima*! I put it down to being succulent. wink

Luckygirl Thu 13-Jul-17 11:54:11

How's your bite phoenix? Has the swelling gone down?

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Jul-17 12:05:40

Succulent is a much better word than 'juicy'!!

Tegan2 Thu 13-Jul-17 12:38:07

I always keep some chloramphenicol eye ointment in my fridge; mainly [obviously] for eye infections but, because it has some sort of antibiotic in it I apply it to insect bites etc [when I was younger and suffered from the occasional spot I used to use it for that, too]. Not sure that it works, but it doesn't do any harm.